Over 50 crowd

Options
Any other over 50 out there? If so, how are you doing with your weight loss/get healthy efforts?

Replies

• skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal. Just by adding a lot of people on this site, it really helps with the motivation. I try to stay under the calories they set for me, I watch my sodium and I also walk about 10-20 minutes a few times a week. :smile: There are a lot of us over 50's on this site.
  • jmv2012
    jmv2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Glad to be here. Glad to know there are lots of us out there. Congrats on 40 pounds lost!!
  • not2creative
    Options
    I am in the over 50 crowd, I have been maintaining my weight loss over the summer and now it is time to get busy again! Tracking what I am are eating is the most important thing to me - self awareness.
  • srmteacher
    Options
    Very slowly. Especially since menopause. :(
  • cloh72
    Options
    Hi, I am over 50 and have decided to try to get this weight off, started zumba and linedancing plus senior aerobics and now teaching some classes as a sub...enjoying it all and better shape that I have been in for several years....staying active has helped me lose weight.
  • BARBY1956
    Options
    Welcome! My weight loss has been slow but pretty steady. I started in Jan. 2012 working on losing 20 lbs. I'm now within 7 lbs of my goal. It sort of has been a trial and error in getting the right number of calories so I will lose and not starve. I have also started doing Jullian Michaels Ripped in 30 about 3 weeks ago. It has been a real challenge. Some of the challenge has to be with my being 56 years old. LOL. I have to pause the DVD in certain places so I can catch up. Like by the time I get down to my mat to do some of the exercises she is half done, same for when I get back up. So I pause it then start again. I have done more than I ever thought I could. :drinker:
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    With the support of my MFP friends I have lost 20 pounds.We share ideas and give pats on the back.Good luck!
  • lkitchings
    Options
    Hi! I just started the program one week ago and still trying to figure everything out! lol I am 52 and have been diagnosed pre-diabetic so I am trying to lose weight and cut down on carbs and sugar. I gained weight when I went back to work 8 years ago from eating fast food at lunch. I work 3 days a week (mostly sitting at desk) and only have 30 minutes for lunch. Plus, I am a VERY picky eater. I don't like vegetables, salad or anything "good" for you. I am trying to eat only 1200 calories a day and I would love to get some ideas on what I can cook that I could take for lunch that doesn't have a lot of calories. I am basically a "meat and potato" person; I like chicken, pork, and beef mostly and of course, I love potatoes. (white, not sweet). If I eat fast food for lunch and cook a good dinner and still stay under 1200 calories, will I lose weight??

Any recipes would be welcome also. Thanks!
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    Very slowly. Especially since menopause. :(
    Ditto!
  • shipshape55
    shipshape55 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    55 here, it's going slow but it's going
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm 53. I've been on MFP since July 2011. I've lost 55 lbs since May 2011. Hit goal the end of February. I broke my foot July 4th weekend this year (after training for and running a half-marathon the beginning of May) and was so afraid that I would gain all the weight back. I still cannot do any weight bearing exercises (running, elliptical, biking) but have only gained 2 1/2 lbs back. Stick to your calorie count - add and change exercise routines often. Good luck!
  • rodrig462
    rodrig462 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Turned fifty this year. My biggest challenge is that I have a sit down job and an active appetite. I love to eat, but I'm not nearly as active as I was years ago.

Managing my eating is new for me, since I always used to burn it off. I had to quit running as my joints weren't going along quietly for the ride anymore.

I made the switch to martial arts and intense fitness classes, which is a big shift for me. I always enjoyed the great outdoors and being in the gym has been an adjustment, but it's working for me.
  • cjgrudi
    Options
    I am part of the 'over' 50 crowd. I just started my journey with MFP. Can anyone tell me how to put the little weight loss bar at the bottom your posts? Not that I have a lost to report...2 pounds to date...BUT...I didn't gain!!!

~CJ
  • mathews58
    mathews58 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello! In December I’ll be 54. My weight loss is slow but my health and attitude is getting better every day.

Having encouraging friends on your list is a great help - especially if you have something in common with them (like age, faith, foods, and goals). I only have a few friends on my list by those few are great encouragers.

Also I keep my food diary open so that others can look at it and give some input. Those logs will keep you accountable and honest with yourself.
  • beachgirl140
    beachgirl140 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Click on tools and then you can add the weight loss ticker
  • beachgirl140
    beachgirl140 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am part of the 'over' 50 crowd. I just started my journey with MFP. Can anyone tell me how to put the little weight loss bar at the bottom your posts? Not that I have a lost to report...2 pounds to date...BUT...I didn't gain!!!

~CJ

Click on "Tools" and then you can add the weight loss ticker. There are several different ones to choose from or you can add your own picture!
  • jahilmer
    Options
    I should be in "the over50crowd". Friend me if you would like. I am really working hard at this though I have only been here 3 weeks. I have lost some wt. Jahilmer
  • wapntake
    Options
    Hi There, i am also one of the over 50s crowd, i have just joined this site and hope to lose some weight myself, actually seeing what's in what you eat is sometimes surprising, keep at it.
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    <
    over 50 here. Good luck and stay strong!
  • 56waukazoo_KD
    Options
    I just started this yesterday ( Sept. 12 ) ..inspired by my youngest son, who has had great success the past few months on a Keto based diet. I am 56, a cancer survivor, and have really packed on the pounds since having a few surgeries. My goal is to feel healthier, and of course look better in the process. I would love to hear from those of you with similar stories.