Over 50 crowd

Options
Any other over 50 out there? If so, how are you doing with your weight loss/get healthy efforts?

Replies

• skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal. Just by adding a lot of people on this site, it really helps with the motivation. I try to stay under the calories they set for me, I watch my sodium and I also walk about 10-20 minutes a few times a week. :smile: There are a lot of us over 50's on this site.
  • jmv2012
    jmv2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Glad to be here. Glad to know there are lots of us out there. Congrats on 40 pounds lost!!
  • not2creative
    Options
    I am in the over 50 crowd, I have been maintaining my weight loss over the summer and now it is time to get busy again! Tracking what I am are eating is the most important thing to me - self awareness.
  • srmteacher
    Options
    Very slowly. Especially since menopause. :(
  • cloh72
    Options
    Hi, I am over 50 and have decided to try to get this weight off, started zumba and linedancing plus senior aerobics and now teaching some classes as a sub...enjoying it all and better shape that I have been in for several years....staying active has helped me lose weight.
  • BARBY1956
    Options
    Welcome! My weight loss has been slow but pretty steady. I started in Jan. 2012 working on losing 20 lbs. I'm now within 7 lbs of my goal. It sort of has been a trial and error in getting the right number of calories so I will lose and not starve. I have also started doing Jullian Michaels Ripped in 30 about 3 weeks ago. It has been a real challenge. Some of the challenge has to be with my being 56 years old. LOL. I have to pause the DVD in certain places so I can catch up. Like by the time I get down to my mat to do some of the exercises she is half done, same for when I get back up. So I pause it then start again. I have done more than I ever thought I could. :drinker:
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    With the support of my MFP friends I have lost 20 pounds.We share ideas and give pats on the back.Good luck!
  • lkitchings
    Options
    Hi! I just started the program one week ago and still trying to figure everything out! lol I am 52 and have been diagnosed pre-diabetic so I am trying to lose weight and cut down on carbs and sugar. I gained weight when I went back to work 8 years ago from eating fast food at lunch. I work 3 days a week (mostly sitting at desk) and only have 30 minutes for lunch. Plus, I am a VERY picky eater. I don't like vegetables, salad or anything "good" for you. I am trying to eat only 1200 calories a day and I would love to get some ideas on what I can cook that I could take for lunch that doesn't have a lot of calories. I am basically a "meat and potato" person; I like chicken, pork, and beef mostly and of course, I love potatoes. (white, not sweet). If I eat fast food for lunch and cook a good dinner and still stay under 1200 calories, will I lose weight??

Any recipes would be welcome also. Thanks!
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    Very slowly. Especially since menopause. :(
    Ditto!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I just turned 50 in May and had no trouble losing weight. It helps that I'm not taking any meds that could hinder the process.

I joined MFP in June 2011 and have been logging every day since.

It helped me drop 36 pounds, and now I'm maintaining the loss by continuing to log to remain accountable and exercise.

I love MFP!
  • shipshape55
    shipshape55 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    55 here, it's going slow but it's going
  • jfcarlson713
    jfcarlson713 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm 53. I've been on MFP since July 2011. I've lost 55 lbs since May 2011. Hit goal the end of February. I broke my foot July 4th weekend this year (after training for and running a half-marathon the beginning of May) and was so afraid that I would gain all the weight back. I still cannot do any weight bearing exercises (running, elliptical, biking) but have only gained 2 1/2 lbs back. Stick to your calorie count - add and change exercise routines often. Good luck!
  • rodrig462
    rodrig462 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Turned fifty this year. My biggest challenge is that I have a sit down job and an active appetite. I love to eat, but I'm not nearly as active as I was years ago.

Managing my eating is new for me, since I always used to burn it off. I had to quit running as my joints weren't going along quietly for the ride anymore.

I made the switch to martial arts and intense fitness classes, which is a big shift for me. I always enjoyed the great outdoors and being in the gym has been an adjustment, but it's working for me.
  • cjgrudi
    Options
    I am part of the 'over' 50 crowd. I just started my journey with MFP. Can anyone tell me how to put the little weight loss bar at the bottom your posts? Not that I have a lost to report...2 pounds to date...BUT...I didn't gain!!!

~CJ
  • mathews58
    mathews58 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello! In December I’ll be 54. My weight loss is slow but my health and attitude is getting better every day.

Having encouraging friends on your list is a great help - especially if you have something in common with them (like age, faith, foods, and goals). I only have a few friends on my list by those few are great encouragers.

Also I keep my food diary open so that others can look at it and give some input. Those logs will keep you accountable and honest with yourself.
  • beachgirl140
    beachgirl140 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Click on tools and then you can add the weight loss ticker
  • beachgirl140
    beachgirl140 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am part of the 'over' 50 crowd. I just started my journey with MFP. Can anyone tell me how to put the little weight loss bar at the bottom your posts? Not that I have a lost to report...2 pounds to date...BUT...I didn't gain!!!

~CJ

Click on "Tools" and then you can add the weight loss ticker. There are several different ones to choose from or you can add your own picture!
  • jahilmer
    Options
    I should be in "the over50crowd". Friend me if you would like. I am really working hard at this though I have only been here 3 weeks. I have lost some wt. Jahilmer
  • wapntake
    Options
    Hi There, i am also one of the over 50s crowd, i have just joined this site and hope to lose some weight myself, actually seeing what's in what you eat is sometimes surprising, keep at it.
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    <
    over 50 here. Good luck and stay strong!