the less glamorous side of a fiber based diet

Options
So, I'm on week two of my better eating plan. I've cut out soda, cut WAY back on carbs, calories, and sugar, and in general, I'm feeling great! One issue I'm having.. Is that with the increase in fruits, veggies, and fiber.. I'm having a little problem with.. um... gas.. I swear I could launch myself into space at this rate. Anyone have any suggestions on how to tame these fun little side effects?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It takes your body several weeks to change the population of flora in your GI tract to better handle these more fibrous foods. The problem may resolve itself on its own.

Or you could try something like Beano or a probiotic supplement?

*edited because it says you've been eating this way for two weeks*
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    I reckon* it'll stop when your body gets used to eating better.

*hope
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Your body will get used to it - meanwhile I recommend Gas-X strips - they're like a breath freshener strip - minty freshness helps both ends smell better :laugh:
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    Your body will get used to it - meanwhile I recommend Gas-X strips - they're like a breath freshener strip - minty freshness helps both ends smell better :laugh:

WHAT THE? Breath freshener strips for your BUM? Where do you stick them? No, don't tell me.

You Americans are MENTAL ;)
  • YogaLarva
    Options
    Is it smelly gas? If not, I would probably just let it be and giggle about it. :-P
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It could depend upon your source of fiber ...... Fiber One bars (OMG!) ..... I totally cannot handle chicory root or AKA inulin. I steer clear of anything with this ingredient.

Also - there are 2 kinds of fiber .... soluble & insoluble. Make sure you are getting both.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I would try probiotics (I got them in liquid form) until your body adjusts - I had the same issue but my body has adapted finally. :)

I tried Beano...but it didn't work for me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Fiber from natural foods doesn't seem to affect me as much as from Fiber One bars or cereals. Those things make me feel like NASA should start a countdown before liftoff.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    i do it all the time, i put my ear phones in iphone playing and cant hear them. mind can smell them sometimes but do i care NO LOL
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Kashi GoLean Crunch - used by NASA to launch rockets since 20XX
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! It was so bad for me at first switching to healthy eating, but as other posters have said, it truly lessens as your body adapts.

It was kind of funny that for a few weeks back in the spring, I could match both my dog and my bf for unpleasant noises/smells....
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

WHAT THE? Breath freshener strips for your BUM? Where do you stick them? No, don't tell me.

LOL! no....it is gas medication formed into the SHAPE of a breath strip. It is an orally disintegrating sheet you place on your tongue--and is probably mint flavored.
  • Jimmytreatingtons
    Jimmytreatingtons Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I shouldn't laugh and i am not laugh at individuals but this is a funny read!! Strips to make wind smell minty!
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Hey! I'm American-- and a southern one at that-- and I've never heard of those and would NEVER consider taking them. (But I don't take ANYTHING for digestion issues, as I think most OTC stuff just contributes to more problems down the line.) lol.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Subtle Butt pads. There's your answer. :smile:
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I totally cannot handle chicory root or AKA inulin. I steer clear of anything with this ingredient.

Me too! I also can't stomach diet chocolates or candies, because they cause nasty side effects the next day!
  • zoeluiisa
    Options

LOL! no....it is gas medication formed into the SHAPE of a breath strip. It is an orally disintegrating sheet you place on your tongue--and is probably mint flavored.

How disappointing. I was going to get my Californian rellies to send me some in the post (just for LOLs, not cos I need minty bum products).
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yes - you put it on your tongue, but it is minty flavored so it helps the breath too...

Oh my - just imagining the other option! :noway:
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    take long walks...........alone..and you'll be fine.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Kashi GoLean Crunch - used by NASA to launch rockets since 20XX

LOL!!

Oh man, funniest thread all day...