Replies

• bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    oh thanks... now I want a BIG MAC!!!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Every single restaurant should have to do this, no matter the size.

The amount of money that it costs to get official government testing on food items on a menu would probably be more than most mom and pop places make in a month. It's an extremely pricey thing to do and that's why the laws only require it for restaurants with 25 locations or more, since it's more likely that they would be able to offset the cost in the long run.

Also, think about the places that have menus that change seasonally, or based on what was fresh at the markets that morning. There's no way they'd ever be able to stay in business, and those are the places that people should be eating if they're eating out since it's menus and meals based on fresh, local food rather than big chains that can afford to get nutritional info analyzed.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Sorry, double post.
  • amselby81
    amselby81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sure, people know it's unhealthy, but I don't think they REALLY realize how many calories are in things. My husband likes to eat a lot, but here recently I've been telling him how many calories are in things, and he's been cutting back. He likes to eat 3 hot dogs in one sitting, but when he realized how many calories was in 3, he freaked out and I don't think he'll be doing that again anytime soon.

I think it's a good thing. Some people will ignore it, but it will open the eyes of others.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

It's too expensive. That would put smaller restaurants out of business.

And the government should not force these stupid restrictions on businesses. If you don't want the food because you don't know how many calories are in it, just don't eat there.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

^^^ This. Most chains have their calorie counts online anyway. The people who care can find them easily. Small restaurants are much harder!
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I don't think posting the calorie counts will make a bit of difference. Most people have no clue how many calories they should be eating and I'll bet the majority of folks who eat at McDonald's already know it's unhealthy and just don't care.

They have them up in our mcdonalds in town already. I can easily say that it is helpful. My husband decided he wanted mcdonalds and I picked it up after work and when I went in I had planned on getting something small like a wrap and a small fry for me, saw the calories and just ordered my husband's food. Strolled across the streeet to walmart and got something for myself. I know their food isn't good for me, but it's easier to turn it down when you see the ACTUAL number every time you attempt to order..I love this idea.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options

And the government should not force these stupid restrictions on businesses. If you don't want the food because you don't know how many calories are in it, just don't eat there.

I'd think people not eating at a resturaunt because they don't know the calories will cost just as much as relaminating menus after including nutrition information or changing signs..Mcdonalds is the only place in my town that actually has nutrition values either online or in the store...if I didn't eat places that dont openly offer that info, no resturant in town would have my business.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

I'd think people not eating at a resturaunt because they don't know the calories will cost just as much as relaminating menus after including nutrition information or changing signs..Mcdonalds is the only place in my town that actually has nutrition values either online or in the store...if I didn't eat places that dont openly offer that info, no resturant in town would have my business.

Maybe it will, in which case the restaurant will either close or put up the information. Either way, it's the restaurant's choice and not the governments.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    They have it on the packaging already......and on the back of the tray liners......Not sure what a difference this will make.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TracySTL
    TracySTL Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten anything from McDonalds in my life. The smell as you walk past one makes me feel nauseous.

HOLY CRAP! Are you from this planet??? (No disrespect intended, I've just never heard of anyone who's never been to McDonalds!)
    And the smell?!?!? Is awesome! I'm almost convinced if I couldn't smell, I'd probably never eat fast food again, but it ALL smells great to me.
    Guess I know how I got here, huh? LOL
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Larger chains here in Washington state are already required to do this. It is nice to be able to see this information at a quick glance, rather than to have to "look into it".
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    Where I am in the UK, the calories, fact content etc are on the packaging. It has helped me, I am sure many people did not realise how many calories are in their food so it might make a difference to a few people, but you will always get those that think to themselves that it is not a big deal and eat them anyway. I used to have a large sized portion meal, with fries and coke, now I have a smaller burger without cheese, salad and diet soda (if I crave McDonalds.) so I can personally say that it made a huge difference to me.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I'm glad McDonald's is adding the nutrition info. I know a lot of people don't care, but every day many more of us do. I like to read that info so I can make the best choice I can, even if none of it is really healthy. Sometimes you just need something quick. I hope all restaurants will start putting up nutritional info both in-store and online. Subway does this, and it's great!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    the calories have been listed on the packaging for a while now.

doesn't deter people at all.

ill stick to my 400 cal 4 carb 4 patty burgers from mcds ;D
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I've eaten mcdonalds in USA, Canada, Austria, London, Australia
    It was all glorious
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Required to do this in many states already including my state of California. McD's can tinker with the menu all they want but the majority of the items are bad for you. Even when they deceptively tell you its lower in calories the item still contains a heavy amount of sodium.

McDonald's. I'm hatin' it.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    the calories have been listed on the packaging for a while now.

doesn't deter people at all.

ill stick to my 400 cal 4 carb 4 patty burgers from mcds ;D

Y U NO EAT CARBS?
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I would totally eat that new Egg White Delight with the wheat muffin, egg whites, and white cheddar. Hell yes I would.