McDonalds New Item:

Options

Replies

• wazzanz
    Options
    Will make a differene when people put it context of daily intake (requires education)

My snack used to be a cheeseburger and thickshake. Since been on MFP not only does it make me realise how many calories it is but what % of my daily intake, what bad calories they are, and how much exercise it will take to burn it off!
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Yay! Information is key to ending the obesity epidemic. People are so clueless but when the information is in front of them they have less excuses. I can't wait for the day when it's mandatory everywhere. I'm getting sick of having to stick to chain restaurants just because I know I can find the nutritional details on their website.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Yay! Information is key to ending the obesity epidemic. People are so clueless but when the information is in front of them they have less excuses. I can't wait for the day when it's mandatory everywhere. I'm getting sick of having to stick to chain restaurants just because I know I can find the nutritional details on their website.

clearly, no one cares that small businesses can't actually afford to do this.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Every single restaurant should have to do this, no matter the size.

It's too expensive. That would put smaller restaurants out of business.

And the government should not force these stupid restrictions on businesses. If you don't want the food because you don't know how many calories are in it, just don't eat there.

I don't know if it's a question of expense (how expensive is it to figure out the caloric values of your food items and print new menus?) so much as it is that I know they probably don't measure everything down to the nearest gram or hundredth of an ounce. A lot of cooks will approximate ingredients, so caloric values may vary. Not only that, but they might not measure exactly how much they put on the plate either, but just put enough on to fill it up. When you're in a dinner rush, you're just trying to push things out quickly.

I guess that the solution is just to say that caloric values on the menus are just only approximate estimations, though I bet there's some regulation that will stipulate that your variance has to be within a certain range.

In the long run, caloric values really only matter to those who are trying to be careful about what they eat and have some idea of what range they should be in. To anybody else, it's just another number on the menu that might be confused for the price or just ignored altogether.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options

People that do not count calories most likely won't start now, because of this. It has already been law in Washington state a while now...and it isn't exactly sweeping the state with a fitness/weight loss epidemic.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    took them long enough...
    and there's no reason you can't approximate the calories in a meal by simply looking at it and doing a little inputting.

i do this ALL THE TIME now :happy:
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great statement that will continue to push the idea that McDonalds isn't to blame. The information will be right in people's faces, and it won't change a damn thing. It's another step towards turning the conversation away from blame and towards personal responsibility.
  • jeannette120
    jeannette120 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It will "shock" people at first and then when they see similar numbers at all restaurants they'll become desensitized to it. But I agree the info should be there.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    For the people that think every place should have calories...well guess what, even the calories listed at the places you do go are ESTIMATED AVERAGE CALORIES....not actual calories of what you get served(variations in the different ingredients and so forth).
  • zuese128
    zuese128 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In California, i guess it's mandatory they do this at all fast food places. The week I was there, it helped me pass up A lot of extra calories because I knew how many they clearly contained
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    First off, I agree that a move like this was definitely not voluntary

Like many have said, most people know that its unhealthy and don't care. And most don't know what the nutrition label translates to.

Heres another fact: Burger king, about a decade ago changed it situation. They stopped, unlike McDonalds, putting mass advertisements for salads and comparitively healthier options. They realized that their real customers aren't the ones who chow down salads from their menu everyday. They know that their loyal customers who visit their stores more than once a week are the folks who like their whoppers and other high calories sandwiches.

Burger joints know what they're serving and so do customers. Its the same thing they did with cigarettes. You can put all the warning labels you want. You can stop their advertisements all you want. People will still smoke. People will still eat
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    We have this in my county too. It has been a great help. When I've been stuck with few options I have opted for places that post calories so I can easily make a good choice.
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    that is awesome!

I will still stop by occasionally to have me some chicken nuggets!! :)
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I went to McDonalds today and at the counter they had pamphlets with all the nutritional values.They also had 100 ,300 and 500 items together where you could choose quickly. I think they are moving in the right direction and I would rather eat there occasionally than at any other fast food place!
  • Sojaided34
    Options
    In Canada the calories is printed on the box. And you can get nutritional menus from the cashier. Same with Tim Hortons, Wendy's and Burger King.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I was hoping you were going to say they add something healthier to the menu. Oh well, I gave up on McDonalds long ago. I like wendy's salads and baked potato's.
  • celestialmoon
    Options
    Doesn't mean a damn thing if they post calorie values if you can't get the proper serving size constantly to many variables. That is why they want chains to do it and not the small guy local restaurants.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Another reason to steer clear of high calorie items. It won't be a reason for people to turn away but it might let the few think otherwise.
    [/quote

I agree. I think its great. If and when I ever go there again, I won't have to look things up on my phone.
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    oh im glad I can count on my hands the number of times I've eaten fast food.

anywho, I don't think knowing the calorie number will change anything. Those who are trying to be healthy should not be eating at McDonald's, and those who don't care about their body should just... die. lol
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't think posting the calorie counts will make a bit of difference. Most people have no clue how many calories they should be eating and I'll bet the majority of folks who eat at McDonald's already know it's unhealthy and just don't care.

Exactly... People don't care or are in denial..
    I have a co worker who has gained 40 pounds in the last year and she says it is because of her hysterectomy (sp). That may have something to do with it BUT the 550 Calories of Cheese you eat for breakfast each morning along with a pack of the Hostess powdered sugar donughts has nothing to do with it though :)