Can you achieve results, just walking?

Options
I have an ankle and foot problem. I have very wide feet, have to buy mens trainers - which are still too narrow thus when i get on any cardio machine in the gym my feet cramp up, my toes go numb and because im stressed due to the pain my ankles get all tight. I have taken my trainers off in the gym before and they said that due to health and safety, if i take them off again then they will kick me out.
4/5 days a week i walk to the gym and back which is a total of 5 miles and burn about 500 cals from it. I walk between 3 and 4 mph. It's a good walk but doesnt get me breathing much faster. At the gym I do 30 mins of heavy strenghth training and attempt to use the stepper and eliptical trainer, which i can only use afor 3 minutes at a time. I can manage 10 minutes one or two days a week.
I cant run at thre moment - again due to my feet. I'm curently trying to find some vibram 5 fingers that fit, but even the mens ive tried are a but tight.

I've been doing this for 11 days now. Not lost any weight but do feel slighty more toned and healthy, i've only just taken measurments today.

My qustion is, in your experience, can I get into shape just by walking and lifting? Im worried that its not enough of a boost to do anything to my metabolism. I lost 50lbs last year, mostly though 20 mins of HIIT 5 days a week, and now I cant do that, im worried im just going to get smaller, without actaully decreasing my body fat %

*sigh...* Any thoughts?

Replies

• TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Yes, You should try to step up the pace of your walk though. Strolling isn't going to do anything (not saying that's what you're doing) Maybe once some of the weight comes off, the shoes will be easier to wear?
  • getninshape56
    getninshape56 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had previously lost 45 pounds using Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds series, at home. It may be an option for you.
  • Gapwedge01
    Options
    Try riding a bike. Less stress on the joints and can burn a ton of calories once you put in some mileage. Also, New Balance shoes makes super wide width shoes which you probably already know. if you walk find hilly terrain to increase your heart rate. Often when I find a big hill I will do hill climb repeats....walk up fast....walk back down slow...repeat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Strolling isn't going to do anything (not saying that's what you're doing)

strolling is better than sitting on the couch and its a start...nothing wrong with strolling
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes. I started running though because I had to walk for increasingly longer and longer periods to get the calorie burn I wanted. But walking certainly works, especially combined with lifting.

I too love the bike so consider that as well.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options

strolling is better than sitting on the couch and its a start...nothing wrong with strolling

touche.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Right, Just do what you can do. My wife reached her goal weight while watching her calorie intake and walking for no longer than 30 min each evening.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I walk four or five days a week, anywhere from 3 to 6 miles depending on the weather and how tired I am. I've been doing it for about 6 weeks getting back on the healthy bandwagon. That along with keeping my calories under 1400 have helped me lose 11 pounds. Like the post below suggests I'm trying to increase my speed. I started at 3 miles an hour and have pushed to 4 now. I want to start running but I'm chicken. :)
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Absolutely yes, walking is pretty much all that I do at the moment. But if you are looking for some slightly more intense cardio why not try a dvd that you can do at home barefoot.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Strolling isn't going to do anything

:huh:

I'm glad you're not part of my support system.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    Strolling isn't going to do anything

:huh:

I'm glad you're not part of my support system.

Me too
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Is there any way you can do your HIIT in the house? Then you could just do it barefoot. Maybe with a jump rope? Or sprinting up and down the stairs? It'll be cheaper at least.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

It's not really a stroll..i'm walking as fast as i can without putting myself in severe pain! And by severe i mean I start wincing and crying! I overtake all people i come across infront of me.
  • NatashaAlexandra
    NatashaAlexandra Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely!!

With walking there are so many variations; you can change your speed/surroundings easily..

For better results I would mix it up, uphill is always good for the muscles in moderation, look online for walks in your area, I'm sure you'll find some you never knew were there!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options

It's not really a stroll..i'm walking as fast as i can without putting myself in severe pain! And by severe i mean I start wincing and crying! I overtake all people i come across infront of me.

Are you watching your intake and all that too? How long have you been doing this? You can do it :)
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Absolutely yes, walking is pretty much all that I do at the moment. But if you are looking for some slightly more intense cardio why not try a dvd that you can do at home barefoot.

I live on a boat and dont own a tv/dvd player! The reason i have bad ankles is because i did Insanity and my ankles and right knee just couldnt handle the fast and very high impact moves.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'm sure walking is great but you won't burn a ton of calories unless you're going at it 4-5 hours a day. That statement won't get me the key to anyone's city but it's true.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I lost 82# and have kept it off by eating healthy and walking. I started in Jan. 2008 and was at my goal by sept. of that same year. I challenged myself to go farther and then to increase my speed. You are walking at a fat burning pace, so should do just fine. Pump yur arms when walking to help get your heart pumping. (It does make a difference).. I too have the cramping in my feet. My toes cramp and turn under to the side. After alot of trial and error I found that taping them straight with paper tape helped alot! I still have trouble finding shoes that feel good, but have been wearing Sketchers slip on tennies with a softer sole and wide toes. About 2 years ago I started using the Leslie Sanson Walk DVD's and love them! She incorporates stretchy bands, walk belts and weight balls, among other things, to tone and strengthen all over. This helped me alot because, not doing any strength training prior to this, I found I had lost muscle tone in my arms. Keep at it, in time you'll see great results!