OMG I just want to cry!!!

Options

Replies

• deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    What does your fiance do? I think we all want that job! I can see how if you haven't been in the work force for three years you wouldn't realize how rough it has gotten to find a job. It took me 6 months to find a position in the complany I'm with now. I was applying all the time, went on a half dozen or so interviews. It was very discouraging. That's just our economy right now and you have to keep at it.

He works for a contracting company in Aviation ..
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I spent 7 hours yesterday looking for a job and about 3 hours the day before. Who knows how many hours I will put in today!!! Every place you apply online they want your resume and then for you to fill out your job history ... What is the point of my resume if have to repeat the same stuff!!!! I need POINTERS please by professionals :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: ??!!

Network! Network! Network!! Target 10 companies you'd like to work for and talk to people. Someone knows someone that works for those companies. Find a way to get a foot in the door...you'll be ahead of everyone else.

ya that is a great idea
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I know it sucks!! I got laid off and I was job hunting for 5 months!! It's rough, I know but you gotta do what you gotta do!!! Good luck :)
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've been on both sides of this situation - the problem with this market is that SO many people are looking for work, any kind of work, that if you have a position advertised, you're going to get applications from everyone - and only about 10% will even come close to having the skill set/background you need. Someone earlier posted about the apparent duplication of posting a resume and also filling out an employment history - this is why. From the perspective of the employer, you have to weed people out somehow. Even once you get down to a more reasonable pool of applicants, you still have far too many - so the first typo I see, that person is out. Period.

From the perspective of a job seeker - networking is key; face time is key; separate yourself from that mountain of e-docs the HR manager (or whoever) is going through. Temp agencies are great - as are placement firms. Don't expect to start halfway up the food chain (never mind the top) either... but try to find something within your actual field of interest/expertise, even if it's the mailroom of the company you ultimately want to be CEO of. :) Be creative, too --- you might think you're a (insert occupation here), but those skills transfer well to something else you hadn't considered. And learn to sell yourself.

Best of luck - to everyone out there looking. Believe me, as overworked as I've been during this recession because we're at a skeleton staff, I still know how lucky I am!
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Been at it for 4 months and zero zip nada and the repetition oh my goooooooooooodness.
  • shannajojo
    shannajojo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I spent 7 hours yesterday looking for a job and about 3 hours the day before. Who knows how many hours I will put in today!!! Every place you apply online they want your resume and then for you to fill out your job history ... What is the point of my resume if have to repeat the same stuff!!!! I need POINTERS please by professionals :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: ??!!

I'm not a professional, but I would say carry your resume on you, and go to job fairs, and just put yourself out there. Keep going, and do not give up.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    According to a lot of responses, I am lucky. It only took me 6 mos to find a job and that's with a bachelors degree. Keep it up, you'll find something.
  • miltongurl05
    miltongurl05 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I know all too well the stress and disappointment you are feeling as I was in your shoes on and off for a few years. Jobs are very hard to come by these days. My recommendation is to continue to apply; however, I would create a word document that has the general information each company asks for. That way, you can just copy and paste it (alter any information to address specific company requirements).

Also, I advise that you try looking into temp agencies. A lot of companies.....from small to big.....utilize them for their needs. Some assignments are temp to hire so this gives you a chance to show them your skills. If they are happy with your work and need to fill a position, they will hire you after the contract with the temp agency is up. I found a lot of my jobs doing this.

The main thing is to not give up hope! It is tough, but if you make the effort, it will pay off in the end! Keep your chin up and know you are a valuable asset to any hiring company! Best of luck to you! :)
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    As someone who used to hire employees, there is a specific reason for requiring both a resume and a job history.

The job history data fields are used to compile keywords. If a company wants to search for someone with customer service experience, they can type in things like "cashier", "customer service", "call center", etc. That's why these fields are so brief. Even if they aren't using a keyword search, it gives them a quick rundown of your history. From there, they can decide if they want to read your resume.

The resume is to show you possess basic communication skills. If I received a resume with typos or spelling errors easily caught by spellcheck, a job description that simply said, "I answered phones," an email address like chicksrule at hotmail, or cutesy paper/Word background with a design on it, it was tossed into the recycling bin. The resume is your chance to put your best professional foot forward. Always, always, always use spellcheck and then have one or two people check it again since spellcheck won't catch everything (your/you're, to/two/too, here/hear, etc).

Good luck with your search!

this
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Use social networking to your advantage also also... sites like LinkedIn and other sites are great if you're looking for a skill position. I know several companies that post on CareerBuilder/Monster/Dice/etc because they have to for compliance reasons.. but really prefer word of mouth kind of referrals.

Hit up FB, Twitter, etc too.. as they say.. "Sometimes it's not what ya know... but who ya know"

This is a fact. Every "adult" job I've ever had was because I was associated with someone who was in charge of hiring*.

*Except one job where my resume was picked up off Monster. However, one of the interviewees had worked at the same place I had. He knew several of the same people I knew, but not me specifically. It was probably enough to win the job over other candidates.
  • happythermia
    Options
    Apply for a job. Then...after a couple days go in and introduce yourself to the manager "hi I'm ____ I recently applied for a job and just wanted to see if you're hiring right now" or some other excuse. The point is you will put your name in their head. In some cases they will ask for an interview right there. They know you are interested now. They know you are willing to do the foot work to get the job. It has worked for me in the past. I know the job market sucks right now so don't feel down if it doesn't work that great. It is better than just applying, trust me. Good luck!

Agreed - and be persistent! :-)
  • JiGSaW525
    Options
    One site:

Indeed.com
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    wishing you good luck with your job search! keep your chin up, determination will pay off! :wink:
    Gayle
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    vote for Obama if you want to spend the next 4 years looking for a job
    Vote for Romney if you want to have women;s health go down the drain.

Vote for either loser if you want to see nothing changed.

BTW I am sorry for your struggle it is not easy out there. If you want the job you have to jump their hoops.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately looking for a job IS a full time job! Hang in there, it will definitely take time!
    vote for Obama if you want to spend the next 4 years looking for a job

Are you kidding me? I don't even want to get into politics but have you even looked into how the job market improved? Hundreds of thousands of new jobs/hires a month this year alone. Get your facts straight please.
    Obama has tried to get tax breaks removed from companies that ship jobs overseas and in another bill tried to give tax breaks to companies that brought jobs back to the states. The Republicans voted them down. You cannot blame the President for Congress's sabbotage. You CAN however, vote out the Congressmen/Senators who have made it their goal to sabbotage the people solely to try to make Obama look bad. Bohener, Cantor and Paul Ryan are chief among them.
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for about a month and a half now, it's hard not to get discouraged. I've lost count of the places I've applied to and I've had four interviews.

Then this last one went really well. It's only a seasonal job but has the possibility of becoming permanent. The interview was last Friday, and the interviewer literally said, "You are exactly what we're looking for to add to our team." She told me I'd hear from them by Monday or Tuesday. Today is Thursday, and I got a hold of her. Low and behold, she went from having 12 interviews after mine to having 40. (They are hiring at least 34 new people). She told me if I didn't hear from her by Wednesday, to go ahead and give her a call. Bottom line is, I pursued her without being overly annoying. And, now I stand out from the other 150 people that have applied.

I've read online in articles from various websites that online applications don't really get looked at, but sometimes that's the only way to apply. The managers that look at the applications usually say that if they don't spot anything that separates you from other applicants within thirty seconds, you're out of the pile.

Make yourself stand out, make your application professional yet loud! Make them look at you. When you drop off your application, ask for the hiring manager-don't give it to some random employee. Get the name of the person you give your resume to, and remember what time you dropped it off. Give it a week, and them call them and show that you're still interested in the position!

Read for yourself: http://www.gethiredquick.com/
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Take an inventory of your skills and what you makes you potentially valuable to an employer and make sure you sell yourself with your resume (it is often worthwhile to have one professionally prepared)

Depending on your skill set and background have you considered making your own job? (no, not MLM selling) Self-employment can be incredibly rewarding (the bad news is that you're often tougher on yourself than any boss ever will be! :laugh: )
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    As someone who used to hire employees, there is a specific reason for requiring both a resume and a job history.

The job history data fields are used to compile keywords. If a company wants to search for someone with customer service experience, they can type in things like "cashier", "customer service", "call center", etc. That's why these fields are so brief. Even if they aren't using a keyword search, it gives them a quick rundown of your history. From there, they can decide if they want to read your resume.

The resume is to show you possess basic communication skills. If I received a resume with typos or spelling errors easily caught by spellcheck, a job description that simply said, "I answered phones," an email address like chicksrule at hotmail, or cutesy paper/Word background with a design on it, it was tossed into the recycling bin. The resume is your chance to put your best professional foot forward. Always, always, always use spellcheck and then have one or two people check it again since spellcheck won't catch everything (your/you're, to/two/too, here/hear, etc).

Good luck with your search!

^This. Your resume speaks volumes about you, so spend some extra time on it and make it perfect. Treat it like a mini-interview. When I review resumes I look for attention to detail as well as content. In addition to the items above, check your margins and fonts (don't use anything fancy - clean and simple is best), and try to be thorough without going into excessive detail. You can PM me if you want some more help there.

It's amazing how many people don't spend the time on their resume. But the ones that do are the ones that get an interview with me.
  • MDeniseMur
    MDeniseMur Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live but generally there are some great recruiting companies that are always looking for experienced professionals to take to market. Doing temporary assignments is a great way to keep your skills up to date, get your foot in a door and make you more employable. Agencies that do temp expect that you are still conducting your search for full time employment and ideally should know that is your goal.

Often the best way to get noticed when submitting a resume and cover letter is to personalize it for that specific role. Research the company you are applying to, see if any of the staff listed on your website might have a mutual connection through Linkedin and ask for a referral. Network, network, network. Let everyone you know aware that you are looking.

Best of luck.
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Apply for a job. Then...after a couple days go in and introduce yourself to the manager "hi I'm ____ I recently applied for a job and just wanted to see if you're hiring right now" or some other excuse. The point is you will put your name in their head. In some cases they will ask for an interview right there. They know you are interested now. They know you are willing to do the foot work to get the job. It has worked for me in the past. I know the job market sucks right now so don't feel down if it doesn't work that great. It is better than just applying, trust me. Good luck!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
This discussion has been closed.