OMG I just want to cry!!!

Options

Replies

• ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Many places are using word search engines in order to screen applicants. In other words, they are looking for words that are in the job description in your resume and application. For this reason, you want to read over the job description and tailor your resume to that job description.

Example for a Benefits Representative (this is a portion of the actual job description):

About the Position

Under the general supervision of the Director-Employee Benefits, provides customer service and performs a variety of functions related to the administration of the employee benefits program. Administers, facilitates and explains benefit programs to System employees. Responsible for the COBRA/HIPAA programs, including timely notifications, legal compliance, COBRA/HIPAA software, retirement plan participant administration and employee communications efforts.

The qualified candidate will be responsible for carrying out the following duties:

•Provides customer service to employees regarding benefits issues and general Human Resources procedural information.
    •Explains benefit plans, costs and procedures to employees in group and individual discussions.
    •Processes benefits enrollment, change and termination actions and assists employees with same. Ensures that payroll deductions are correctly entered into the computer.
    •Monitors and audits costs, claims and participation in benefits plans and insurance. Compares costs and benefits of alternate insurance providers or new systems as assigned.
    •Administers the COBRA and HIPPA program including correspondence relating to the eligibility, enrollment and termination of benefits, billing and collection of premiums and record keeping. Keeps current on legal requirements and recommends changes and updates as required.

Okay, what would you want to put in your resume?

You definitely want to mention that you have CUSTOMER SERVICE experience. Also, that you have experience doing a VARIETY OF FUNCTIONS in customer service. Mentioning that you have assisted with ADMINISTERING a BENEFITS PROGRAM would get a hit from the computer.

See what I am saying? You need to tailor each resume for the job you are applying for. Keep a list of jobs that you have held, dates, why you left, etc. for filling in those pesky applications.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I spent 7 hours yesterday looking for a job and about 3 hours the day before. Who knows how many hours I will put in today!!! Every place you apply online they want your resume and then for you to fill out your job history ... What is the point of my resume if have to repeat the same stuff!!!! I need POINTERS please by professionals :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: ??!!

It took me 6 months to find a job the last time I had to look for one. My step brother hasn't been able to maintain consistent employment for 2.5 years. My FIL finally got tired of looking for work and started a business. Walk into any of your local shelters and see how long people in there have been trying to be gainfully employed to support themselves and their families. 36 hours is nothing.
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    vote for Obama if you want to spend the next 4 years looking for a job
    Vote for Romney if you want to have women;s health go down the drain.

Vote for Gary Johnson (LIbertarian candidate) if you're tired of the constant bickering between the two overbearing parties that get nothing accomplished. :smokin:

THANK YOU!!!!!!
  • miltongurl05
    miltongurl05 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Same thing with me... I lost my job at my birthday, 3rd of march... the only job I found is 6 hours per week... I can't make a living with this ! I feel discouraged...

PS: I've been told I too fat and not beautiful enough to work in fashion...

Don't feel discouraged! You can and will succeed!

There is no perfect person! Even the so-called 'flawless' celebrities, models, etc. all have flaws and have been picked on for something at one time or another! You are as beautiful as you feel....not what other people think of you! Just because you aren't a size 2, doesn't mean you aren't beautiful and can't work in an industry that interests you! I know it's hard to be strong and positive, but you have to love and see yourself as beautiful before others can..........(I'm still working on this as well)! I hope all works out for you and that you prove the naysayers wrong! :wink:
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    Hey, reality check: You've done this for a day and a half? My husband has been at it for A YEAR AND A HALF.

Toughen up.

You have to work at least as hard at getting a job as you will keeping that job. Especially in this economy.

Oh I am sure some people do have really hard times! I am envious of my fiance! He can travel all over and there is a high demand for his job and it is killer pay... I need something like that! I just have not had to work the last 3 years but now after moving back home I decided to work and go back to school.... ughhhhhhhh

You'd be damned lucky getting a job after a day and a half. The last time I had to look for a job while unemployed was 8 months. If you really want a job that badly, apply, and go into that store at LEAST once a week to check up on a job. And don't expect a job to come your way quickly. Your not the only one searching for a job.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Your resume has to be tailored to the specific jobs your are looking for. You should have a different resume for different jobs. Your resume should stand out from the rest. Take a look at your resume and the jobs your are applying for and make sure you hit some of their job duties. It should be short and sweet. Remember they are being screened by someone in HR before it makes it to someone who will actually make the decision. Also remember in this economy companies are looking for the best of the best. Keep looking and be patient.

I agree, like my job....a computer screens for certain words and that's how it falls into the hands of man. Stay encouraged and count your blessings. You said you moved back home some don't have that option!

noooo I did not move back home where family is. My mother died a few years ago and I have no other family. I moved back to the state I consider my home...
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I know it is really tough out there and I know it takes a lot of work to find a job but as someone in the legal field who has to review resumes my suggestion would be don't have just one type of resume - i.e. paralegal, legal secretary or assistant ad - tweek your resume for the position you are applying for - if you are applying for a paralegal position you are not going to get into how you can answer a 20-line phone system whereas if you are applying for a legal secretary position you don't want to get into how you controlled the litigation file and attended depositions from opening the file until it went to court or settled. Trust me overqualified people don't get the position and very rarely do underqualified people. Also, follow-up but don't make a pest of yourself:noway: Emailing the person who reviews the resumes 5 times to confirm receipt of the resume is never a good idea - just saying:grumble:
  • slyast
    slyast Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    First of all - I am sorry that people are telling you "you just need to try harder". That's mean and unsympathetic.

I agree with a lot of what people have said. As a professional - it is, unfortunately, more about who you know. I interned at the institution I now work at for a year - and then it was a year later before I was actually hired as an employee (by someone who recognized my name). That being said, even internships for the institution are very competitive and I was able to get one, despite being under qualified. I knew exactly what I wanted to do and was respectfully persistent. If you have a specific job and/or goal in mind I would target those companies and just let them know who you are and why you want to work for them, but, be prepared for some patience.

In the meantime, if you are just looking something like retail/bar/etc - seeing your face is key! Don't apply online - go to the store, introduce yourself to the manager, let them know you are ready to work! That goes yards in my experience as a retail manager.

Good Luck!
  • KaidaKantri
    Options

Vote for Gary Johnson (LIbertarian candidate) if you're tired of the constant bickering between the two overbearing parties that get nothing accomplished. :smokin:

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Gary Johnson it is. I seriously don't know who to vote for. Obama I know I don't want, and I keep hearing all this awful stuff from Romney :( I figure our country is screwed either way.
  • AtlantaWriter
    AtlantaWriter Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    What I dislike is having to fill out online personality tests when I apply for a job! I find them unnerving, as if they're trying to throw me off and detect some major character flaw in the process. They ask the same ridiculous questions over and over in different ways. It can take up to an hour to fill these tests out. I am getting to the point where I don't apply for jobs that have these kinds of applications because it's a major time drain, and because I'm not getting any calls from companies I"ve applied to who use the test. Do I have a major character flaw???
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Been at it for 4 months and zero zip nada and the repetition oh my goooooooooooodness.

OMG I should just kill myself now LOL !!!!!
  • miss_missa07
    Options

this

ಠ_ಠ
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You really need to decide for yourself, I honestly think voting for someone other than Obama is kind of a waste of a vote, they're dark horses when they're not part of the two major parties.

/threadhijack
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Stop sitting online looking and start walking into places handing your resume/filling in job applications or both, find the places that are hiring get their address and go hand it in.

It took me a couple months to find something after I got laid off but I was lucky enough to use previous job contacts to get my job. If you have contacts in other places use them it seriously helps.

I know a friend in HR said that they are more likely to hire someone who walks inand hands in a resume than the one who just sends their resume via email.
    Also with the way the economy is you could be looking for a long time - if you cannot wait to find something, take an interm job; fast food may not be ideal but at least its something while you look right?

Stop whining and just do it. So you duplicate all your information wahts the big deal?
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Oh Yes job searching today is vastly different! So few paper applications and face-to-face meetings until you get through the screening process. I had 3 friends refer me for a job at their company and I got rejected by the computer after spending 2 hours doing the application, math skills, and hypothetical scenarios... Crap ya don't even know why - too much of a team player? Not enough of a team player? One particular answer out of 100 multiple choice answers equates me to a sociopath???

I was looking for several months already and then got fired at the end of July. Having to fight for unemployment. Calling all my creditors. All I seem to get from posting my resume on-line to the job boards is a mega-influx of spam and scams.

You (and I) have to keep at it! I am visiting everyone I know in this town, asking for recommendations and referrals, and following up on the leads, in addition to the on-line stuff. I appreciate all the input others have made on this topic - great ideas and I will be using them!
  • miltongurl05
    miltongurl05 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Word! LOL!
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Here's the 411. You won't get a response to those online ad's. That's not meant as a bad thing but job hunting these days has morphed into a "who you know, not what you know" deal. You need to network (ask family and friends about job vacancies, get them to put your name out there, create a profile on LinkedIn or Monster.com) and make yourself known. Companies want to hire the best, most dedicated employees and word-of-mouth is pretty much how it works. I would also suggest getting in with employment agencies who have direct line's with companies.

This is not an overnight deal. You could be at this for months so deal with it. Job hunting is not one dimensional. Go drop your resume off in person.
  • slshaw23
    slshaw23 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from. If this helps any I have a friend who works for Tmobile and they are hiring she says they tel you it seasonal but she has been there for two years now, also bank of america is hiring. If you want some work from home jobe check out this website ratracerebellion.com.
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    One site:

Indeed.com

+1000
    this is such a great job search site. I noticed when I was searching for work Indeed.com would have the job postings 2-3 days before they would show up on Monster.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Your resume has to be tailored to the specific jobs your are looking for. You should have a different resume for different jobs. Your resume should stand out from the rest. Take a look at your resume and the jobs your are applying for and make sure you hit some of their job duties. It should be short and sweet. Remember they are being screened by someone in HR before it makes it to someone who will actually make the decision. Also remember in this economy companies are looking for the best of the best. Keep looking and be patient.

I agree, like my job....a computer screens for certain words and that's how it falls into the hands of man. Stay encouraged and count your blessings. You said you moved back home some don't have that option!

noooo I did not move back home where family is. My mother died a few years ago and I have no other family. I moved back to the state I consider my home...

If you want to find work in your field of expertise be prepared to move to a different state. :wink:

You should also find yourself a resume/interview/employment class/seminar. If you pay close attention you'll come away with a ton of answers on how best to get a job over competitors. The one I took several years ago got me to completely rewrite my resume, hold mock interviews, and even had a meet and greet with HR personnel who were actively recruiting. I handed my resume to the newly recruiting HR folks and the next thing you know I was employed.
This discussion has been closed.