Celebrating Weight Loss When You're Still Over 300 lbs?

Options
I'm feeling very strange and down today.

I'm still losing a couple pounds every week, my measurements have come down, and I can wear smaller clothes now. I was riding a high of posting some comparison pictures and talking about it in my blog. I felt awesome.

Suddenly, today, I woke up with this feeling of, "Are you seriously bragging about weighing 319 pounds?" and crashed down.

Don't get me wrong. I'm extremely proud of my loss. The amount I've lost is definitely something to celebrate. It's the *weight* I'm celebrating that bothers me. I realize 319 is better than 356, but it's still over 300 pounds, it's still "morbidly obese", and it's still a competely undesirable weight for 99% of the population.

So now I feel kind of stupid, dancing around and proclaiming to the world that I'm 319 pounds.

Does anyone else feel this way sometimes? If I saw a friend celebrating a weight loss, I'd feel happy for them *regardless* of what they weigh (a loss is a loss), but now I'm feeling sort of self-conscious about celebrating since I'm still so heavy.

Someone smack some sense into me. Please. :)

Replies

• Wolfe1759
    Wolfe1759 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel stupid when I think that I am looking pretty good and have achieved some good results when I am still class III obese and much heavier than almost anyone I know.

But that's not going to stop me from celebrating the little wins every week. Because the weeks add up. I am 280-283 right now, which is still linebacker size. Eventually, though, I will be 250...then 200...then 165. And I am going to celebrate every damn step of the way. Haters gonna hate after all...! ;-)
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I'll smack some sense into you: You lost 37 pounds. Celebrate it. You are continuing to lose. Celebrate that. Assuming you have been losing through healthy eating and exercise, be proud of yourself for developing good habits.

When I was at my heaviest (around 260), I used to think it was pointless to try to lose weight, because even if I lost 50 pounds, I'd still be 50 pounds overweight. Now that I have lost 50 pounds, I realize that I was wrong. I feel so much better at 205 then I did at 260 and I have much better habits. Even if I don't lose another ounce, I am so much better off and I am happy about it. Even if you don't lose another ounce, you are still 37 pounds better off (that's 10% of the weight you started at by the way, hardly a minor loss).
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Any loss is a cause for celebration!! You have made the decision to get healthy and that is a huge feat as well.
    Be proud of yourself and never think otherwise :) You will reach your goals and being proud of yourself along the way will aid in that.

Keep it up.
  • LNZimmer
    Options
    CELEBRATE!!!! Please!!! I have a LONG way to go, but I celebrate every time an ounce of fat leaves my body :)
  • Chelle_Davis
    Options
    You have done AWESOME! I am also over 300 lbs, and anything done is a victory!!! Chin up!! <3
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm over three hundred pounds, and I'll be celebrating the day I'm at 299. You've worked your *kitten* off, be proud. You've made the change in your life, you should be absolutely proud.
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I'll smack some sense into you: You lost 37 pounds. Celebrate it. You are continuing to lose. Celebrate that. Assuming you have been losing through healthy eating and exercise, be proud of yourself for developing good habits.

When I was at my heaviest (around 260), I used to think it was pointless to try to lose weight, because even if I lost 50 pounds, I'd still be 50 pounds overweight. Now that I have lost 50 pounds, I realize that I was wrong. I feel so much better at 205 then I did at 260 and I have much better habits. Even if I don't lose another ounce, I am so much better off and I am happy about it. Even if you don't lose another ounce, you are still 37 pounds better off (that's 10% of the weight you started at by the way, hardly a minor loss).

smack, smack. every pound is closer to your goal. celebrate it.
  • TiffanySuscheck
    TiffanySuscheck Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Don't just celebrate the weight-loss.

Celebrate your new life. That's what's REALLY worth celebrating. Your self discovery, your journey, and your new lifestyle are worth celebrating. The weight-loss is just a bonus.
  • leftoverbun
    leftoverbun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Perfectly okay to celebrate, as long as the festivities don't include downing a pizza. I've been really good about staying close to my chosen path for the last 10 months, and I reward myself for doing so, just not with food.

36lbs is great, shows commitment. Keep it up!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I don't really celebrate anything at this point (my numbers are basically the same as yours), but what I've done so far is encouraging, and keeps me going. I'm looking forward to a little private happy-dance when I see the number dip under 300, but aside from that, there's still a long way to go.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    37 lbs is a big loss. That's a GREAT loss, it's 37 lbs healthier than you were. So what if people think badly on it, YOU lost the weight, you worked HARD to lose that. It's freaking awesome! Imagine picking up 3 10lbs bowling balls, THATS what you were carrying around.

However, if you rather wait, celebrate when you hit 299. It's not that far off from where you are now, and at the rate you're going you'll hit it in no time. Regardless, you should b e freaking proud that you're not one of those people who "yea yea I'll lose weight tomorrow" you're doing it NOW!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Awww...don't beat yourself up. You have every reason to celebrate every single little loss you have right down to 0.1 pounds because it is happening because you are on a course to change your lifestyle forever! Good luck :smile:
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    You should definitely be proud and happy about your loss, no matter how much you may still have to go. You have chosen to commit to yourself to lose and you are. That's fantastic!!!
  • geminai
    geminai Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't know you but I sure am proud of you!! :D And hey, so long as you're not celebrating with food (one of my big issues), you absolutely should celebrate! Even when I lose 37 pounds, like you, I'll still be "morbidly obese" (boy do I hate that term) but you can bet I'll be doing a dance. :) Just think, by then you'll have lost even more ... and can dance even more!

Congratulations!
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I celebrated as I got lower and lower.
    Though I did celebrate more at 299 then at 310.

I think it's good to celebrate even if you're still not near your goal weight.
    Make little goals, keeps you on track.

Like my next goal is 18lbs away, I will celebrate again.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    37 lbs lost is a huge achievement regardless of what the scale still says. You got here and you'll get even farther if you stick with it. You should celebrate every lb you lose because it puts you one step closer to your ultimate goal.
  • kimdarren
    kimdarren Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The only sense I'll smack into you is to not be so hard on yourself. You've done fabulously! To take the steps and have the determination to do something about your weight is a great accomplishment. Don't shortchange yourself. Think of how much you've accomplished rather than how much you still have to lose. Dwell on the positive, not the negative. We're all here for you.

Kim xx
  • vickiecarr
    Options
    You have every reason to be excited, I'm excited for you!!! I've been there too!!!
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    CELEBRATE! There is nothing wrong with it. Yes, you are celbrating being 319 but, you are NOT 356 anymore and never will be again!! AND, jsut think pretty soon, you'll be able to celebrate getting under 300...then celebrate when you lose more after that!!

BE HAPPY about the LOSE, not about what weight you are! You are getting healthier and have the results to prove to yourself that YOU CAN DO THIS!!! KEEP POSITIVE and moving forward!! YouCan Do This!!!!

SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    You made the decision to change your life....that should be celebrated.

I haven't personally experienced it, but from watching my grandmother and mother (both classified as morbidly obese) it's not about how far you have to go but looking at what you've already done and that you keep waking up every morning and repeating the steps to success. Be proud of yourself and before you know it, you'll be celebrating the fact that you lost 100lbs.