Replies

• embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    We all need to do what works for us personally and the rest be damned!

I agree. Everyone's body reacts differently.

1. I have hypothyroid. I can't go by BMR and TDEE to get my numbers
    2. calorie counts on MFP aren't always 100% correct
    3. calories burned on MFP aren't 100%

^^^via this information, my calories may look low, but I have to underestimate what I'm given as it could very well be that I'm eating more than I think. And it's been working fine for me :)
  • Rumpenissen
    Rumpenissen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like having the exercise calories as a buffer. Some days I eat some of them back, but some days I'm not hungry enough. I eat around 1600 calories a day and it's nice having the option to go over that amount when I exercise, but it's not something I do religiously. I eat them if I'm hungry.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid levels checked? The thought just came to me. I have thyroid problems and insulin resistance, which caused me to gain a great deal of weight before I started being treated for it.

Yep I have diabetes 2 and an underactive thyroid which i was told that I should lose allot more weight now when I am on tablets for both. In fairness I was only diagnose with the thyroid problem about 2 weeks ago so maybe the tablets haven't kicked it yet.

Oh, okay. Yeah, I didn't see or feel results for 3-4 weeks after I started on them. Hope everything works out :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the help and advice xx
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think MFP might be high on the calories burned, you have done the absolute best thing in getting a HRM and working with a trainer to customize for you, sometimes we just need professional guidance. Everyone is different and what my trainer tells me is worth 1000x what someone who doesn't know me says. May you next week be good :)
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Options
    BUMP just cause I FLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE fatgurl2thin!! Love ya and I am so proud of you and hope to be as strong as you in every sense of the word! Keep kickin' some fluffy tail doll!
  • That is what my trainer said as well and it seems to be working!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You overestimated your calorie burn, then ate more, and you yell at people who advised eating back calories? Generally it's a decent practice to eat back at least 1/2 calories.

The responsibility always lies with you.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I got me an HRM thingy, too!
  • wazzanz
    Options
    I like having the exercise calories as a buffer. Some days I eat some of them back, but some days I'm not hungry enough. I eat around 1600 calories a day and it's nice having the option to go over that amount when I exercise, but it's not something I do religiously. I eat them if I'm hungry.

snap you're the same as me. Exercise a buffer that allows me to eat a bit more if I'm hungry but certainly not all of it unless I'm going out somewhere.

Key is also to eat GOOD calories not any calories
  • deja_blu
    deja_blu Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier I didn't eat them back and as I progressed closer towards my GW, I may eat some or all of them back but it's HOW you consume those caloris back.

For me, when I started circuit training, I definitely ate back my burned calories. I was HUNGRY! But I ate a lot of protein and was still able to tighten and tone my body.

IMHO, do what works for you and listen to your body. We are all put together different and what works for 9/10 people may not work for that 1/10.

Congrats to you (and everyone else) on the progressionand weight loss! <3

5499814.png
  • tcrchris
    Options
    I agree here. I seldom eat my calories back and I have been religious about wearing the HRM ever since I noticed the discrepancies of the "estimated" calories burned.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Your time up to this point hasn't been wasted. Exercise will still change your body composition even if you're eating enough calories to maintain your current weight. Also, exercise is supposed to have an especially powerful effect on diabetes and insulin insensitivity. As far as eating ~1200 calories a day, it's really not that bad as long as you make smart food choices.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    It is for this reason that instead of asking for advise on a forum you should do your own research and experiment for self with what works and what doesn't... what works for some doesn't work for others...

Get yourself a heart monitor and know exactly how much you are burning - figure out your BMR use that as baseline - though I myself prefer the TDEE <--- has your trainer spoken to you about those terms?

The best thing you can do for yourself is research and get educated.

Good Luck
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm with the OP. First, we shouldn't be sarcastic with each other, especially since we're here for support. Most of us can get torn down in our own family and homes and work - we don't need it here.

But, I've always been against eating my exercise calories unless it's a special occasion and then I try to earn it. But one of my reasons is that I automatically don't trust the calories burned, via exercise equipment, MFP or anywhere else. If I do eat any, it's not very many.
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you sought out professional help. I think it's different for everyone. It's very easy to overestimate your calorie burn and underestimate how much you eat. For me I started at 220 lbs, 5'9". I was eating 1440 cals as a base for 2 lb a week loss. My lifestyle was set to lightly active, one above sedentary. I chase 2 preschoolers and a toddler all day as well nursing several times a day. I did eat back all my exercise cals, but I tried to be conservative in my estimates. This worked for me. I've lost 53 lbs since the beginning of Jan.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Options
    Lol, without reading anyone's responses, all I have to say is: are you new here? You overestimated your calorie burn, then ate more, and you yell at people who advised eating back calories? Generally it's a decent practice to eat back at least 1/2 calories. Did people KNOW you were over 300 lb, because of course that's a different story.

Why you gotta be so mean? The responsibility to spread the love not hate lies within you :( Peace & love people Peace& love :)
  • wazzanz
    Options
    And yes the MFP counter seems high on exercise. I use a diluted number from what it gives me. Have not yet got an HRM but will consider it when i stop easily losing 2 lbs a week.

I really think people use 'starvation mode' too easily and often as a justifcation for them eating more than they need. It will not kick in after just 1 or 2 days of 1000 net.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Lol, without reading anyone's responses, all I have to say is: are you new here? You overestimated your calorie burn, then ate more, and you yell at people who advised eating back calories? Generally it's a decent practice to eat back at least 1/2 calories. Did people KNOW you were over 300 lb, because of course that's a different story.

Yea they knew I was over 300lbs I have nothing to hide!! Do I look new? In fact did you even read my original post when I said I posted a question to the boards about a couple of months ago about eating back calories etc? I guess not...... Lets move on. Off course the responsibility lies with me what I do to my own body but stupid people giving stupid advice doesn't. End of............
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories back. Not on purpose any way. I try to get 1500 calories with or without exercise. Sometimes I go over but I don't intentionally go over.

Regardless of whether or not you're using MFP's calorie count, a machine calorie count or a HRM calorie count I don't think that any one "device" is 100% accurate.