Replies

• Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for the post.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    No. I used to overthink things. I worried about a lot of things that didn't really matter and did a lot of things that didn't really matter. Now I take a more laid back approach. I'm in excellent shape. I'm at the strongest I've been in my life and nearly the leanest (last summer I was a little bit leaner). Next week I will be stronger still.

Underthinking it? Not yet. I try to think less and less about things so I can get back to a regular life. Even counting calories, is arguably "overthinking it", although I am not ready to give that up yet.

Look, overthinking things isn't going to screw you up necessarily. It's just a waste of effort to split hairs like this. Keep it simple. Succeed.

Must be nice to have self confidence. Everyone tells me I'm an idiot, good for nothing, and I don't "think before I act". The one time I finally put my mind to something to try to understand it to it's entirety, people tell me to be more lax and carefree..... Which is it? Am I an impulsive, careless, mindless, idiot who makes constant poor decisions? Or am I an overthinker who cares too much about the stuff that doesn't matter who is petrified to make ANY decisions?

le sigh. You try being a HSP for a day. I wish this was a "disease" that I could spread; but apparently the only way to get this temperament is genetics... I don't hate being HSP because I love that I'm eccentric and unique; but I hate that people expect me to behave and think like a normal man...

But thank you for your help nonetheless; you just have to know that I'm not going to relax over this. I will ask another 400 questions on here until I fully understand what I'm supposed to do. Sorry to be a nuisance... :(

Well, if it helps I can tell you exactly how many calories, grams of protein, fat, and carbs to eat every day, and if you stray from this number I will yell at you.... :wink:
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Let's see . . .
    Dietary Fats help us stay full longer and can be used as energy but is essential for cell repair.
    Carbs are energy and complex carbs are slow metabolizing energy.
    Protein helps us repair, maintain, and rebuild our bodies and can also be used as energy.

Sounds about right. Fat, carbs and proteins are all used for energy and are all used for cell repair and upkeep.
    Carbs that are taken in excess to our blood glucose threshold is going to result in an insulin response, resulting in dietary fats to be stored in fat cells until the glucose is burned and insulin levels come back down? Protein also triggers an insulin response too but not like carbs do?

Insulin is released when we eat carbs or protein in order to tell the cells that it is time to take up the nutrients. There isn't really a threshold, it happens automatically, and it goes down when blood sugar returns to a normal level. Without it, the glucose from the carbs would stay in the blood and could not be used by the cells. Insulin does a lot of other things too and can lead to decreased fat breakdown and increased fat storage, but only If you are in a caloric surplus. If you're at maintenance or a deficit, you won't store fat.
    Saturated fats have been linked to high LDL in the blood stream and not Cholesterol (though limiting both might be a good idea)? The fats we should be eating are unsaturated fats at a 1:1 ratio?

I think the verdict is still out on saturated fats -- I wouldn't worry about it unless you are eating a lot of it. Maybe something to ask your Dr. about as it may also depend on your personal medical status and family history.
    Not all proteins are complete, only dairy, eggs, meat, soy, and quinoa are complete proteins; all other proteins must be paired to provide all the essential proteins?

I think the complete protein issue is vastly overstated. I have been a vegetarian for 23 years and never given a thought to combining proteins in a specific way. I think as long as you are eating a variety of food, the necessary combination will happen automatically. If you're worried, check a vegan or vegetarian website for more info. I have never heard of anyone having a problem from "incomplete" protein consumption.

Hope this helps.
  • phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oooh! I know a little about hydrogenated oils! Thinking back to bio-bonds class:

The closer the oil is to liquid at room temperature, the more easily the body can metabolize it. However, the hydrogen bonds in saturated fats help provide the structure so that it can be in a semi-solid state. The taste is also attributed to the hydrogen bonds. In the lab, hydrogen bonds can be added to room-temperature liquid oils to make them solid (think margarine). That is what hydrogenized means.

The problem here is that these bonds are difficult for the body to break down, and they end up stacking like tetris blocks in the body. It can create a variety of problems including high blood pressure. It is also a possible cause of cholesterol build up. This is all based on my recollection of the class. Thought it was pretty handy information.
  • _granola
    Options
    I don't think any of this should be your concern. I am more concerned that you consistently sound like a person with disordered eating habits and disordered thinking about food. And if your profile is correct about how much you are eating, then I definitely think you need some help.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/uploads/file/Orthorexia Nervosa.pdf

................... Seriously?
    Seriously?
    I make a typo and you all think the typo was serious?

I was scared to INCREASE my calories. Not scared to DROP my calories to pennies on a dollar.
    When was this topic going to get back ON topic if I didn't come back and get defensive?

The link I posted still applies to many of your posts I have seen. And I wasn't posting anything about anorexia, I was posting about orthorexia.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of this should be your concern. I am more concerned that you consistently sound like a person with disordered eating habits and disordered thinking about food. And if your profile is correct about how much you are eating, then I definitely think you need some help.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/uploads/file/Orthorexia Nervosa.pdf

................... Seriously?
    Seriously?
    I make a typo and you all think the typo was serious?

I was scared to INCREASE my calories. Not scared to DROP my calories to pennies on a dollar.
    When was this topic going to get back ON topic if I didn't come back and get defensive?

The link I posted still applies to many of your posts I have seen. And I wasn't posting anything about anorexia, I was posting about orthorexia.

:noway:

Yes, I am very concerned about eating healthy, but I only restrict categories of food because of my stomach's reaction to them and how they make me feel. I very well could have food intolerances! But unless you are going to pay my medical bills, I don't know how I'm going to get tested for them.

Also, I don't go to the extremes of "everything has to be organic" or "only grass fed beef" or "absolutely NO sugar/sodium/fat"; (but I do monitor it all to make sure I'm within a threshold since sugars affect my ADHD, sodium affects my appetite, and most saturated fat is not good for you). So maybe I am going 150% to your 130%, but I'm not at the point where I'm starving. I have a wide variety of foods I eat; but none of them come from a box (most are fresh) and (if possible) none of them have preservatives. Is that too clinical?
  • phynyxfyre
    Options
    I have heard that with true ADHD caffeine has a reverse effect, calming you down. This was true for my brother. He was diagnosed with ADHD and ADD and prescribed ritalin, which made him zombie-like. My mother heard about caffeine and gave him a soda or coffee before school instead, and the teachers noticed a huge improvement. Now I would not recommend going on to drink a lot of soda, but I would suggest green tea. This has some caffeine, and only as much sugar as you want to add. It also has the benefits of antioxidants.
  • phynyxfyre
    Options
    As for the orthorexia nervosa topic that was brought up, I have only seen this post by this user, so I cannot say how other posts have sounded, but this one just sounds like a genuine concern and curiosity about dietary guidelines.

http://www.celiac.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=10

This site has a lot of information on celiac disease, which is what the OP has, among other health issues. Celiac disease can be excruciatingly painful. It is often combined with other food allergies. Try an imagine, if you will, that you have been innocently eating a sandwich and suddenly, for the first time, you have massive cramping and break out in a painful, itchy rash. You go to the doctor and are told that if you eat certain things, this will happen to you every time. And the doctor cannot tell you all the things you need to avoid eating, just some of them.

Now what do you do? Basically, you drop every food that will cause it and most other ones as well, settling down on a handful of foods you know won't hurt you. Like a child, you add a food a week and try to find out what will hurt and what won't. All the diet and nutrition information you have known up until that point is in question. It makes sense to reach out to others and look for solutions.

I have never been through this, and I pray I never do. However, I have seen some friends go through it, and it does make you fixated on diet. That only makes sense when you have a disease that can kill you simply by virtue of what you choose to place in your mouth.

I do know that the orthorexia nervosa information was intended to help, however when we do not have all the information about a person's situation and health, it is a little misguided to presume to diagnose them with an eating disorder. Hope I don't sound mean, I am not trying to be. I am trying to offer up what little insight I have into this particular condition.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I need to know how to get complete proteins from Celiac approved grains, veggies, and legumes. A protein isn't a protein if my body isn't getting the essential proteins (the ones it can't make on its own) and the proper amount, right?
    I believe your body can do fine if it's getting the essential proteins regularly, EVEN if it's not all on the same day. For example, if you ate mostly rice one day and mostly beans the next, that should still be fine. If you eat a good mix of grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, and veggies, you are almost certain to get everything you need. I believe it's fine if you get more of one type of amino acid one day and more of another the next day. A deficiency will come into play only with an extreme diet, say, if you ate only beans every day for weeks at a time, or only rice.