Vegetarians out there?

2»

Replies

• Forget the meat. Forget the dairy. Live longer and illness free. Get your protein in a shake or smoothie by including 2 Tbs. Jarrow ISO rich soy protein powder. You can get it on Amazon. That takes care of all of the protein that you need per day. Stay away from the hokey protein bars and powders. As an example, the sunwarrior stuff mentioned above is 16 g. protein per serving. The Jarrow is 43 g. per serving and is just soy protein.
  • seed_of_wonder
    seed_of_wonder Posts: 202 Member
    ive been eating a lot of greek yogurt lately to help out with my protein intake.
    120 calories per serving & 25 grams of protein
    i buy the plain oikos stonyfield kind & add a few drops of liquid stevia (english toffee flavored) to sweeten
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Vegetarian for 20 years (actually, hey, 20 years to the day next week) - I almost never eat eggs but I eat some dairy. And I get at least 100g of protein a day. I have a protein shake after my morning workout but I mostly try to stick to food - tempeh > tofu, lentils > beans > chickpeas, quinoa > rice, almonds > cashews... also nutritional yeast goes in/on almost everything. And there are surprising amounts of protein in things like broccoli. (Well, I was surprised, anyway.) I do find that protein makes the most filling snacks - I have almonds almost every morning and yogurt pretty often when I get home after work, and days when there is leftover grilled tempeh in the fridge are the best days ever.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    My fave is lentils mixed with taco seasoning. You can sprinkle cheese on top and/or wrap in a burrito if you want. Lentils have lots of protein.

Personally I also eat a lot of veggie burgers but I'm lazy like that.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Why do you need gads of protein to lose weight? Sure it makes you feel fuller but it's not the only way to do it. I find fiber more filling - cut up some fruit and vegetables with every meal and you'll stay fuller longer.

If you want to load up on protein, your best bets are seitan (20g protein per 100 cal) and a protein shake. Mine have 24g per shake. One meal with 200 cal of seitan has 40g, plus a protein shake makes 64, plus whatever you eat for the day, you can easily do 100-120g especially if you eat fish.

Also, you're not a vegetarian if you eat fish. (The term for that is pescatarian.)
  • My fave is lentils mixed with taco seasoning. You can sprinkle cheese on top and/or wrap in a burrito if you want. Lentils have lots of protein.

Personally I also eat a lot of veggie burgers but I'm lazy like that.

That sounds good. I'm going to give that a try.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Forget the meat. Forget the dairy. Live longer and illness free. Get your protein in a shake or smoothie by including 2 Tbs. Jarrow ISO rich soy protein powder. You can get it on Amazon. That takes care of all of the protein that you need per day. Stay away from the hokey protein bars and powders. As an example, the sunwarrior stuff mentioned above is 16 g. protein per serving. The Jarrow is 43 g. per serving and is just soy protein.

Very unappetizing though.
    Live longer and illness free by eating a variety of foods of your choosing and remaining at a healthy weight.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Needs prep at first not to suffer from any defficiencies - especially vitamin b12 - but seaweeds are good for that (Royal Kombu and Miso) as for the rest : tempeh, Seitan, Tofu, Quinoa, Lentils (blond, corail, yellow, gree), wild rice (a bit less of proteins)
    I think people overestimate their needs in proteins, explaining why we see meat as a mandatory food, truth is, it's not

Agree especially about overestimating protein needs. I think once in a while need to low protein for a week or two to encourage autophagy.

Its a problem when protein is constantly very low.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Needs prep at first not to suffer from any defficiencies - especially vitamin b12 - but seaweeds are good for that (Royal Kombu and Miso) as for the rest : tempeh, Seitan, Tofu, Quinoa, Lentils (blond, corail, yellow, gree), wild rice (a bit less of proteins)
    I think people overestimate their needs in proteins, explaining why we see meat as a mandatory food, truth is, it's not

Agree especially about overestimating protein needs. I think once in a while need to low protein for a week or two to encourage autophagy.

Its a problem when protein is constantly very low.

True, but in fact, i think it's quite the opposite in most cases, when you come to a vegetarian/ vegan diet by choice, for health reasons (I won't argue wether or not a diet including meat is unhealthy), you tend to be more conscious about the food choices, thus the use of the nutrients by your body, having a balanced diet from grains/ legumes and vegies - nutrient-rich more foods also, most of the needs are covered for protein. As for the vitamin B12, I'd say it's the only thing a conscious non-meat eater should be aware of, but having the seadweeds - sorted, or sups