Eating back your calories rant.

Options

Replies

• Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Believe me, I'm a big fan of HRM data - it appeals to my inner geek. I'm sure its more accurate for a given individual than a broad estimate from a website.

However, my point is that HRM tools only provide an estimate too. So personally I've made the decision to generally eat a percentage of what it says unless I'm feeling really hungry post exercise.

In all fairness if I was to go to every single website and bring up various bits of information I would be here all night and would only add more fuel to the fire. But you have given me food for thought and as a programmer I will have to find out more about these HRM's. Anyways whatever works for you keep at it, it didn't work for me which is why I am trying something new
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

However the point that I was trying to make and seemed to have got missed is that people have been telling me to eat back my calories even when they were over estimated and when I didn't really have to.

I just wanted to add the reading from the hrm was an exact calorie match to the machine that I was using to exercise on. So its 100% accurate!!

No one told you to eat more calories than you burned, and no one ever said mfp was the best place to estimate calories burned.

Nothing is 100% accurate.
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Options

However the point that I was trying to make and seemed to have got missed is that people have been telling me to eat back my calories even when they were over estimated and when I didn't really have to.

I just wanted to add the reading from the hrm was an exact calorie match to the machine that I was using to exercise on. So its 100% accurate!!

No one told you to eat more calories than you burned, and no one ever said mfp was the best place to estimate calories burned.

Nothing is 100% accurate.

I beg your pardon little miss know it all. Actually your not worthy of my response......move on
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I used to try and eat all my exercise calories back and follow the rules closely, but I realised everything is just an estimate. The computers best guess. It is a guess on how active we are. It is a guess on how many calories are in a specific amount of food. And it is a guess as to how many calories we burn. So follow principles instead and moniter your results.

I made my own rules. I set my MFP to lose 1 pound a week, so I have a lovely 1340 calories to eat a day. I try to earn 500 calories a day in exercise a day. If I eat my 1340 and leave my 500 I should lose 2 pounds a week. So I let give my self flex and choice everyday depending on how hungry I am. Eating between 1340 and 1840 and I should have success either way. Neither extreem or restrictive. I usually find I am full around 1500 calories, more or less.

Each person has to figure this one out themselves. What is healthy, what is easy to maintain for you?
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Options
    MFP overestimates the burn from exercise.

Personally I haven't found this to be true. I was like you and had 150+ pounds to lose, and I was questioning the fact that I was burning 1000 calories on the treadmill according to MFP. Being new to fitness I didn't realize that there was a calorie counter on the treadmill as well. I started comparing the two and they have always been within about 50 calories of each other, with MFP being a little on the high side.

I also hired a trainer, and have lost 166 pounds in 18 months. I would listen to your trainer before listening to anyone on here (but listen to me, ok???). :tongue:

Like alot of people who've commented, I also don't eat back my exercise calories, unless I feel the need to. And even then I have some yogurt or protein, or some fruits and veggies. I eat maybe a third of my calories back if I'm hungry after working out. I generally work out late at night too, so I try not to eat anything heavy before bed. If I know I'm gonig to burn 1100 calories playing 3 hours of ball hockey (my typical Sunday night) then I usually eat a bit more a few hours before, build up a bit of a calorie cushion.

Anyways, this is your thread about you, so enough about me. Feel free to add me if you want support etc. and way to go hiring the trainer, mine changed my life.

Finally someone else who understands and congrats on losing all that weight, will use ya for inspiration, friend request sent!
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Options
    I used to try and eat all my exercise calories back and follow the rules closely, but I realised everything is just an estimate. The computers best guess. It is a guess on how active we are. It is a guess on how many calories are in a specific amount of food. And it is a guess as to how many calories we burn. So follow principles instead and moniter your results.

I made my own rules. I set my MFP to lose 1 pound a week, so I have a lovely 1340 calories to eat a day. I try to earn 500 calories a day in exercise a day. If I eat my 1340 and leave my 500 I should lose 2 pounds a week. So I let give my self flex and choice everyday depending on how hungry I am. Eating between 1340 and 1840 and I should have success either way. Neither extreem or restrictive. I usually find I am full around 1500 calories, more or less.

Each person has to figure this one out themselves. What is healthy, what is easy to maintain for you?

Oh I do like the way you worked things out, its puts certain things into perspective. I got a plan from the trainer today to eat 1200 calories a day. I will be sticking to that and then whatever he wants me to do every day I will stick with his advice, thanks for your input
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The problem is, you aren't talking about your REAL exercise calories burned, so your argument is flawed. The fact that the heart monitor said you burned less than what MFP says simply implies that you CAN'T just go on a loose estimate and then eat whatever calories back that number is. Especially if you have quite a bit of weight to lose.

Mathematically, it's still possible to eat back exercise calories and lose weight. It works for me, but I purposefully underestimate how many calories I burn doing a given activity. (I often hula-hoop and do kundalini yoga, for example, and I base my calories burned off various estimates I found online for my body weight, and then go off a bit lower number.)

It's all abut accuracy. While it may be true that eating back only half of your exercise calories is fine if you're hungry and eating 1700 a day, it changes a bit when you're someone like me who only eats 1200 a day before exercising. I burn lot of calories and I have a fast metabolism, so when I don't eat back most of mine, I get a lot of bad side-effects. And I lose weight quite quickly as long as I'm staying at a good net.

Different things work for different people, but usually it's the math that's flawed and not the method.
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    good topic
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Options
    The problem is, you aren't talking about your REAL exercise calories burned, so your argument is flawed. The fact that the heart monitor said you burned less than what MFP says simply implies that you CAN'T just go on a loose estimate and then eat whatever calories back that number is. Especially if you have quite a bit of weight to lose.

Mathematically, it's still possible to eat back exercise calories and lose weight. It works for me, but I purposefully underestimate how many calories I burn doing a given activity. (I often hula-hoop and do kundalini yoga, for example, and I base my calories burned off various estimates I found online for my body weight, and then go off a bit lower number.)

It's all abut accuracy. While it may be true that eating back only half of your exercise calories is fine if you're hungry and eating 1700 a day, it changes a bit when you're someone like me who only eats 1200 a day before exercising. I burn lot of calories and I have a fast metabolism, so when I don't eat back most of mine, I get a lot of bad side-effects. And I lose weight quite quickly as long as I'm staying at a good net.

Different things work for different people, but usually it's the math that's flawed and not the method.

I guess you really didn't have much weight to lose to start off with? So don't judge your experience on mine. The fact is I have over 200lbs to lose and I have been told by a professional that I don't need to eat my calories back. Regardless of your mathematically gibberish I will stick to what the professionals tell me and after all they know best!

Also as stated in another post the HRM matched the calories burned on the machine that I was using. Use your Mathematical skills on that one and come up with an answer!!
  • wazzanz
    Options

I guess you really didn't have much weight to lose to start off with? So don't judge your experience on mine. The fact is I have over 200lbs to lose and I have been told by a professional that I don't need to eat my calories back. Regardless of your mathematically gibberish I will stick to what the professionals tell me and after all they know best!

Also as stated in another post the HRM matched the calories burned on the machine that I was using. Use your Mathematical skills on that one and come up with an answer!!

I never read your last thread but i can perhaps see why a lot of people seemed to turn on you - your replies are quite aggressive and really inviting people to have a go at you. Don't be so defensive and chill out a bit :)

You admited yourself you were over estimating your calories burned so your net was higher than you throught and that is probably why your weight loss stagnated. Is your net that matters so no don't eat your calories back especially if you're not hungry- keep them in the bank for a rainy day.
  • wazzanz
    Options

Mathematically, it's still possible to eat back exercise calories and lose weight. It works for me, but I purposefully underestimate how many calories I burn doing a given activity.

so if you underestimate your calories burned then you're not eating them all back... (I assume this subject is about eating them all back or no point having the conversation....)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    SMH

The question of whether or not to "eat back exercise" calories depends on how you do the accounting. If you're eating TDEE-deifict (which is the common/standard way the non-MFP world does it, and more than likely what your trainer had in mind for you), then no, you don't eat them back. If you're using the MFP numbers, where exercise is factored out of the equation, then you eat them back to keep the deficit steady.

It just comes down to implementing a healthy calorie deficit. You can do the "bookkeeping" however is most convenient for you.

Actually the more I think about it, the more I think MFP should just surrender and switch the whole system over to TDEE-based. The "eating back calories" concept is just a source of too much confusion for many people and leads to misguided threads like these.
  • wendymaci
    wendymaci Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I swear by my heart rate monitor it is the best investment I've ever made. I wouldn't trust any of the online calorie counters for exercise if I were eating my calories back. I generally eat most of my exersice calories back but try to do it with whole foods and protein. I can't workout without my monitor I feel naked. I'd highly suggest getting a monitor and recomend one with a chest strap I love my polar!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

I never read your last thread but i can perhaps see why a lot of people seemed to turn on you - your replies are quite aggressive and really inviting people to have a go at you. Don't be so defensive and chill out a bit :)

You admited yourself you were over estimating your calories burned so your net was higher than you throught and that is probably why your weight loss stagnated. Is your net that matters so no don't eat your calories back especially if you're not hungry- keep them in the bank for a rainy day.

^This. In particular the part about the aggressive replies--I would actually say that the OP's response to this person describing the "math" thing was quite rude...I'm sorry if you didn't like the responses to your "rant" about why you personally don't eat exercise calories back, but wow...if you don't want a variety of responses (some of which you may not agree with and many which are simply based on individuals' various experiences) DON'T post on a public message board. Just message your friends individually and your professional person (trainer?) to get the answers you want to hear.

sheesh.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    My comments being you are doing the exact same thing you're asking others NOT to do. You said:

"...In future I think if you want to give instructive advice please make sure you know what you are talking about before belittling someone's efforts..."

and then:

"...So to anyone else that has the same amount of weight to lose like me please do not eat all your calories back that is suggested on here otherwise you will either gain weight or won't lose it...."

So, you aren't an expert, but you're telling others the best way to lose (according to YOU.) Your tone is really aggressive and maybe a "this is what worked for me" comment would have made this so much less rude. In MY experience, I lose more when I eat back my calories (or the majority of them), so I would hope you realize that what works for you might NOT be what works for everyone. If you're so beyond caring what others think, why go through this big ranty post? Just get on with your journey. It's not a contest, you vs. everyone else. Just old you vs. new you. I hope new you wins. And relaxes a LOT, or you're headed for worse health issues down the road, due to stress.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many conflicting opinions...
    I have heard from fitness friends to eat them back but then not to eat them back from a doctor and a personal trainer.
    Then a nutritionist told me to eat at my goal and then eat some of my exercise calories back when I am hungry.

It's honestly an experiment.
    See what works for you and what doesn't.

As long as you're feeding yourself good foods, make sure you're not tired/hungry all the time and that you're feeling better and more energetic... I don't see a problem eating them back or not.

I personally don't eat them back unless I am hungry but I never eat back all of them due to the fact that I don't have a HRM yet.
    I feel more energetic then ever and I am losing weight at a good speed. Around 2lbs a week.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Ouckat2
    Ouckat2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I try to never eat my calories back! I am here to lose weight and if I ate them back I wouldnt lose. I also occassionally fall under my calories goal but as long as Im not hungry, it doesnt bother me because I know I am eating healthy and my tummy is not growling. Once I get closer to my goal weight, I will worry more about that. Do what is right for you.
  • hooperlious1955
    Options
    Do you really care what people have to say? I could care less they don't know me nor do they really care. You just hang in there and remember the pounds may not tell the whole story... Inches remember inches.. muscle weighs more than fat. all the best ok
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Like everything on the 'net, you have to take it with a grain of salt.

I don't eat back my exercise calories.
    I eat 1400 not what MFP has given me.
    I don't use the calories MFP says I burnt (my hrm is hundreds off the calories here)
    My goal is to lose weight and I'm exercising to lose & tone not so I can continue face feeding.
    I don't go to bed hungry but I'm not going to eat just to get my calories in.
    When I'm closer to my goal, I'll re evaluate things.

You have to do what's right for you and if folks here don't like it, it's their problem.