Am I in 'starvation mode'? Am I getting out of it?

Options
I desperately need some advice. These are my stats - Female, 20 years old, 5' 4, 94 pounds (one pound gain from last week), 14.6% body fat.

I have been consciously restricting my diet since the beginning of the year. In January, I was 123 pounds. I started to get alot of bad reactions to foods (and have since been diagnosed with IBS) and cut alot of processed foods and switched to a non-diary and hardly any carbs "diet". When I started logging in MFP in June, I weighed 116 pounds. My calories were under 1000 per day, and I imagine they had been like this for months before I was logging in my calories. I exercised, doing my own hour sessions of cardio at home. I was eating two small meals a day and had barely any appetite. I developed anxiety and depression, and then had keyhole surgery for a diagnosis in July. By the time I was recovered from the surgery at the end of July, my weight had dropped to 99 pounds. I wasn't eating more than 500 calories per day. In August my calories decreased from about 150 - 300. My weight last Monday was at its lowest, 93 pounds. I was put on SSRI medication and decided to consciously increase my food intake because I have no energy, I'm always cold, and I'm looking slightly skeletal. I've read alot about the starvation mode theory - have I put my body into this mode?

Over the past week I've increased my calories to around 700 per day. I know this is still very low - I wanted small increases. I'm eating 3 meals a day, sometimes a snack. I have an appetite and hunger pains for the first time in months. I've done all the BMR calculations with my sedentary lifestyle, and I should be eating 1500ish calories to maintain this low weight (which I don't want to do). In the past week of only bumping up my calories by 200, I've gained a pound. Is this water weight? What will happen to my body in the following weeks? I'm bloated and full all the time (to the point of physically looking pregnant), I can't fathom eating 1500 calories, I don't think I've done that in ages.

Will my body put on weight very very fast? How/when does it stablise? I'm so scared to continue to increase ..

Replies

• Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I've been eating very low lately too just due to no appetite caused by new medication. Over the past 2 weeks I have upped my calories from 700 or so per day to 1200 per day. I've experienced a tiny gain but i'm sure this is only temporary water weight and i'm not worried about it.

700 a day is FAR too low and really not healthy!!!!!! I feel SO much better since i've upped my calories- even though it's only been a couple of weeks, i feel like i have more energy, my hair isn't falling out half as much as it was, my skin looks a bit brighter. I just generally feel healthier. I don't expect my weight gain (as tiny as it was) to stay around for long as i know its just water from eating more.

Eat more! AT LEAST 1200 per day! Please don't be scared of gaining because even if you do, it won't be a lot and you will be much better for it!
  • auxiliaa
    auxiliaa Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My plan was to increase 200 calories per week but should I do it all in one hit? Did you have any problems with bloating/general stomach upsets when you increased?
  • Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Joannie30 said it well! Take her advice please! Yes you definitely sound like you are in starvation mode, and I think you realize that yourself or you would not be asking. No, until you start eating healthy you are not getting out of it. Good luck to you.
  • auxiliaa
    Options
    I can't physically fit more in though. I'm getting all the digestive problems and more that caused me to restrict in the first place
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    You are already significantly underweight for your height (check the charts here: http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm), so you need to be putting on weight and not eating way, way too little as you currently are.

If you have physical problems increasing your calories injested to the level you need, then you should see your doctor as it sounds like you "may" have an eating disorder.
  • chestnutbrown
    Options
    increase your intake gradually, to jump from 700 straight to 1500 is a bit too much when you're not used to it. Also take note of what foods cause the bloating and avoid them. Increase your calorie intake with healthy foods that you can tolerate.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    Oh and "starvation mode" is a phrase which is used a lot on MFP, but not so much in the real world. If you are taking less calories than you need for a significant period of time, then your metabolism will slow down, however you will continue to lose weight.

Do not get hung up on "starvation mode" as it is of little importance in your case. What is important is that you are underweight and need to gain it back. Given your history, I would see your doctor who will be able to advise you better than anyone here.
  • auxiliaa
    Options
    There's probably no use in attempting to deny that I do have disordered eating. My anxiety now revolves around food. I know this starvation mode thing is only limited to a certain sphere - I had never heard of it before this week, but my research into BMR/how many calories I need to consume to gain a pound lead me to it. I've read that recovering anorexics need to eat consistently 2000+ calories to re-establish their metabolism. I don't think I am as bad, and to me, 2000+ seems excessive and like I'll gain weight like a mofo. But I just don't know how much I should be eating to get any weight gains when I'm already seeing some at this low calorie level.

I've already started the path of professional help but this forum could help give me experiences from people who have gone through the same/similar things
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    There's probably no use in attempting to deny that I do have disordered eating. My anxiety now revolves around food. I know this starvation mode thing is only limited to a certain sphere - I had never heard of it before this week, but my research into BMR/how many calories I need to consume to gain a pound lead me to it. I've read that recovering anorexics need to eat consistently 2000+ calories to re-establish their metabolism. I don't think I am as bad, and to me, 2000+ seems excessive and like I'll gain weight like a mofo. But I just don't know how much I should be eating to get any weight gains when I'm already seeing some at this low calorie level.

I've already started the path of professional help but this forum could help give me experiences from people who have gone through the same/similar things

Sorry I can't help you. Your beginning weight would be too skinny for me. Good Luck though!!!
  • Tokkeditok
    Options
    Hello you :)

Of course this is only my perfeption, but you are definitely too skinny. Way too skinny. I mean - you have 14% body fat?! That is not only low, this is DANGEROUS. I am a former anoretic so I know. YOu should have 21% body fat AT LEAST.
    You should really not lose any weight anymore. You should rather try to gain some. Otherwise it'll be a cold winter for you… just saying.
  • auxiliaa
    Options
    I'm in Australia so I've just gone through winter and it was horrible. And I am trying to gain ... I'm just terrified of it
  • cartoonfruit
    Options
    I'm sure you already know this, but if you're having trouble eating bigger amounts of food, I suggest eating calorie dense foods. Like nuts, muesli bars, candy (yess lol) etc
    Good luck :)
  • dickymint678
    dickymint678 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you are coming from a very low calorie diet and you increase your calories with "carbs" you will gain some water weight but this will be limited and also fluctuate from day to day.

If may well be worth speaking to your doctor about the concerns you may have in regard to you diet.

Without knowing you, my tuppence worth is that you are getting to few calories. You may want to consider upping your intake - fat may be a good way of getting the extra calories as you will not have to add much in the way of volume of food. Rest assured that AS LONG AS YOU ARE IN CALORIE DEFICIT any fat you consume will be burnt off for energy.

Good luck.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    what about drinking some of your calories.... using like ensure or protien drinks or smoothies because they are liquids you may have and easier time digesting them.... we took pediasure camping with us for my underweight daugher to make sure she got enough nutrition while we were out. There are some nice milkshake type ones out there, even getting the pre-made ones so they are easy and one the go. The pediasure ones taste great you could use thoes ones (I know they are for kids but they have a good little calorie count and have protien and carbs and they taste great, I can't speak for ensure I have never tried them, but they do sell a lot of them so people must be enjoying them).
  • auxiliaa
    Options
    If you are coming from a very low calorie diet and you increase your calories with "carbs" you will gain some water weight but this will be limited and also fluctuate from day to day.

If may well be worth speaking to your doctor about the concerns you may have in regard to you diet.

Without knowing you, my tuppence worth is that you are getting to few calories. You may want to consider upping your intake - fat may be a good way of getting the extra calories as you will not have to add much in the way of volume of food. Rest assured that AS LONG AS YOU ARE IN CALORIE DEFICIT any fat you consume will be burnt off for energy.

Good luck.

So consuming less than the 1500 my BMR + activity adds up to will not increase my weight at all?
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My plan was to increase 200 calories per week but should I do it all in one hit? Did you have any problems with bloating/general stomach upsets when you increased?

I did it all in one go, pretty much but if you're more comfortable doing it gradually then do that but don't take too long about it. I can't stress strongly enough how important it is NOT to eat so low!! Aside from it being really unhealthy, although you may get "slimmer" you will still have a high fat percentage as your body is holding on to the fat in your body and using your MUSCLE for fuel (i'm guessing you probably feel weak and tired a lot? this is why). I didn't experience any upsets with my tummy- in fact i haven't had an IBS attack for a couple of weeks now! :-)

Add me as a friend if you want. Sometimes it helps to talk to someone who is in a similar situation.
  • dickymint678
    Options
    Yes, if your BMR is 1500.

In basic terms your body is an engine burning calories as fuel.

You have a fuel tank containing fat and carbs.

You add to that fuel tank every day with the food you eat.

Your body uses fat/carbs/protein as fuel in various proportions depending on availability every day.

If you use more energy than you consume, your body will use the reserves in its tank (initially carbs but then mainly stored fat, it can and does also burn protein).

So, if you consume more than you burn off, the excess will get added - a little at a time - to you reserves.

You would have to over consume 3500 cals to add 1lb of fat to your reserves. To be clear (using your info):

1500 (BMR) + Activities + 3500 = gain of 1 lb of fat per day.

Note that if you consumed all those (to emphasise the point) as carbs, you would also gain water weight as well.

- I believe it's 1g of stored carbs tie's up 4g of water. This is one of the main reasons that when you begin a diet, your body burn your carb store quicky, so the body releases (excreets) the associated amount water. Hence rapid weight loss.
  • auxiliaa
    Options

I did it all in one go, pretty much but if you're more comfortable doing it gradually then do that but don't take too long about it. I can't stress strongly enough how important it is NOT to eat so low!! Aside from it being really unhealthy, although you may get "slimmer" you will still have a high fat percentage as your body is holding on to the fat in your body and using your MUSCLE for fuel (i'm guessing you probably feel weak and tired a lot? this is why). I didn't experience any upsets with my tummy- in fact i haven't had an IBS attack for a couple of weeks now! :-)

Add me as a friend if you want. Sometimes it helps to talk to someone who is in a similar situation.

Thank you :)
  • auxiliaa
    Options
    Yes, if your BMR is 1500.

In basic terms your body is an engine burning calories as fuel.

You have a fuel tank containing Fat and carbs.

You add to that fuel tank every day with the food you eat.

Your body uses fat/carbs/protein as fuel in various proportions depending on availability every day.

If you use more energy than you consume your body will use the reserves in it's tank (mainly stored fat).

so, if you consume more than you burn off the excess will get added - a little at a time - to you reserves.

What about accounting for activity levels? Same concept?
  • dickymint678
    Options
    I've edited my above post to try and be a little more helpful.