paxil and weight gain?!

Options
hi i have gained about 5 lbs in 6 wks since i have been on paxil, i was put on it for anxiety attacks previously i was on lexapro for my ocd but it didnt help with the anxiety attacks that had started to appear.... i havent changed my eating habits and have been working out even more! anyone have any suggestions for alternatives to paxil without the weight gain that i can kinda discuss with my obgyn when i go and see her on thursday?!
ps i am a fit momma to a 3 1/2 yr old and 10 month old
27 yo
5'2 1/2
140 now!!! ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• giag09
    giag09 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 as well and I'd LOVE to be 140 LOL... I gained a **** load of weight on Prozac and Zoloft. I stopped them. I'm not on anything anymore. To me, being off the meds and dealing with my anxiety and borderline bipolar is easier than gaining, gaining, gaining, and not being able to lose. As I lost more, I'm happier. Now I just have my Ativan for anxiety and panic attacks.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    None of those drugs are good...what is causing the anxiety attacks? If you have to be on them...try one PRN...xanax maybe.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    i was on paxil for years..didnt notice any weight gain...much lower sex drive though...whats your dosage?? mine was 20-30mg
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 lbs after I went on Celexa, but then I joined MFP and lost that and then some. I think the weight gain just comes from the drug increasing your appetite, so as long as you are tracking on MFP, you should be fine.
  • virginia65us
    virginia65us Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Years ago I tried a few of the drugs in the same category as Paxil (SSRIs) and couldn't tolerate the side effects (including weight gain.) I switched to Wellbutrin, which is a different type of drug and found it very helpful for anxiety. I stopped taking if for years and just started again a week ago due to stress, mostly at work. I already feel calmer, even though they say it takes three weeks to take full effect. As far as weight goes, if anything, Wellbutrin is thought to have somewhat of an appetite suppressing effect. You might was to ask your doctor about it.
  • giag09
    Options
    I started having anxiety attacks about 3 months ago just alittle added stress of having 2 kiddos 3 1/2 and 10 months and trying to juggling a job household and a hubby..... some things that arent a big deal to some ppl affect me differently cuase i tend to obsess over stuff because i have OCD also.. lucky me lol! but now with this weight gain and not changing anything with my diet and lifestyle makes me upset and now i am tending to obsess about this now! vicious cycle... hopefully i can find a happy medium
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My BF is on paxil and it can have some crazy side effects. A place that has helped us in learning more about it is paxilprogress.org. which is not a medical site but one for people on paxil with others on paxil talking about their experiences.

Talk to the Dr about a med (or other therapies) that you can employ to help with the anxiety instead of paxil. I say this as a partner to someone who is on the drug and I see how it affects them on a daily basis.
  • jiva57
    jiva57 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It's very interesting that you gained weight on Paxil and not Lexapro. They are both SSRI's and both commonly have weight gain as a side effect. You may have to experiment for a while with your doc on getting just the right dose and medication for you, with the goal being no weight gain and no panic attacks. You are approaching this intelligently! Don't lose patience. :)
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 lbs after I went on Celexa, but then I joined MFP and lost that and then some. I think the weight gain just comes from the drug increasing your appetite, so as long as you are tracking on MFP, you should be fine.

I`ve heard this explanation and don`t buy it. There is ****no way**** I ate enough to go from 140 to 200 in the year I took it (which was a looooong time ago). People who lived with me & saw what I ate could confirm that. (I am not and was never a `secret snacker`, either.)

Paxil is a pretty blunt tool, and lots of people don`t prescribe it anymore. Change doctors.
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 as well and I'd LOVE to be 140 LOL... I gained a **** load of weight on Prozac and Zoloft. I stopped them. I'm not on anything anymore. To me, being off the meds and dealing with my anxiety and borderline bipolar is easier than gaining, gaining, gaining, and not being able to lose. As I lost more, I'm happier. Now I just have my Ativan for anxiety and panic attacks.

This. /\

To the OP: Obviously only do this with a doctors approval, but I personally went off of my meds after they made me gain 30 lbs in 3 months. The depression and panic I felt from gaining weight was far worse than the usual depression and panic I was feeling every day before the weight gain.

Instead of drugs, I now see a therapist once a month and when I feel depressed or feel panic-y, I go for a run or do a quick workout. I find that the exercise has the same effect on me that the drugs were having.

If I begin to feel a massive panic attack coming on at work, which is where I primarily experience all of my panic and depression, I do breathing exercises or, if possible, I get up and go for a quick walk, even if just to the ladies room and back.

Talk to your doctor and see if she thinks there may any drug free choices for you.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I'm trying too ween myself off of prozac right now.
    I suspect it may have something to do with my difficulty losing weight, but I might just be grasping at straws there.

I have to say, we are all usually on these meds for a reason. Getting off of them for weight loss may create other, even worse, issues.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    hi i have gained about 5 lbs in 6 wks since i have been on paxil, i was put on it for anxiety attacks previously i was on lexapro for my ocd but it didnt help with the anxiety attacks that had started to appear.... i havent changed my eating habits and have been working out even more! anyone have any suggestions for alternatives to paxil without the weight gain that i can kinda discuss with my obgyn when i go and see her on thursday?!
    ps i am a fit momma to a 3 1/2 yr old and 10 month old
    27 yo
    5'2 1/2
    140 now!!! ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many years ago (before kids) I was put on Paxil, after my rape, for anxiety attacks and depression... In 3 months I had gained 30 pounds and only wanted chips and ice cream... Everything else tasted awful to me... Bad time and within 2 months of going off of Paxil I had lost over half the weight.... See if you can get your dr to put you on a med that doesn't cause weight gain. I took something different and it was much better. No more weight gain. I can't remember what the name of it was. Zoloft is also bad for weight gain.

Good Luck!!!
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have taken Celxia, Rameron, prozac, and zoloft
    I didn't see any weight gan with prozac but i was like a zombie.
    WIth the others i either gained weight or stayed the same.
    I gained 25 lbs in 2 months and haven't been able to loose it.
    I hope that you can find something that works.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I have to say, we are all usually on these meds for a reason. Getting off of them for weight loss may create other, even worse, issues.

Lots of assumptions packed into this, all can be challenged. Diagnosis of mental illnesses & disorders is very unlike diagnosis of eg diabetes. The process couldn't be more subjective.

In fact the evidence suggests that SSRIs are only really useful, long-term, for people with very severe depression. The people, in other words, who'd actually benefit from electroshock therapy.
    http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pmed.0050045

Exercise has an excellent evidence base to support its role as an effective mood regulator. Anyone interested can look into it, but
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression-and-exercise/MH00043

SSRIs are meant to treat depression, but instead, they increase risk of suicidal ideation and action. To treat anxiety, but cause irritability. To increase participation in life, but cause apathy. To treat insomnia, but cause insomnia.

There are better ways to cope.

edit: yes, discontinuing too quickly can totally cause problems. Second paxilprogress.org for help (people on there are weaning from a range of SSRIs). See also
    http://www.benzo.org.uk/healy.htm
  • giag09
    Options
    I feel like i need to get my ocd and anxiety under control on my own but the problem is right now i need a little extra help... i hate switching between drugs because that causes more dr appts and time off from work i know im just complaining i work in the medical field so i understand you need to be monitored but sometimes i just wish that i didnt have these issues!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    You could try Cymbalta? I had tried a few, and this seemed to be the one with the least side effects. Unforturnatley my insurance wouldn't cover it, so I ended up long term on Celexa - which helped me gain about 20lbs. 10 in the first month. Not fun, but really 5lbs isn't too bad, just keep watching to see if it levels off or if it keeps going.

I feel your frustration! Best of luck in finding what works for you :)
  • evansjaohseven
    evansjaohseven Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to take paxil and gained a lot of weight on it. I am on Zoloft now for anxiety/panic attacks. Zoloft unlike a lot of the SSRIs, is not supposed to make you gain weight. I didn't see any weight gain with the Zoloft. I feel better on Zoloft too. I also take Klonopin prn. I'm 5'3" and 138 pounds, trying to get back down to 125. MFP is definitely helping I think. On these meds though, I think it is important to watch your diet and stay active.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with the same issues for years. I put on 60 lbs w/seroquel and had a doc tell me it wasn't possible, drugs don't do that...yeah right. She might have weighed 100 lbs herself, I wanted to break her in half. I'm on 3 drugs for bi-polar and anxiety. I have cut my doeses and went off of one drug all together since I feel better when I'm exercising and since I've lost weight. I have been on heavy drugs since 2005 and I really worry about the long term affects (they never seem to study long term affects, just short term) which is why I'm happy to be off of one of them. I agree w/other posters, I lost weight while on wellbutrin, but the others made me pack on weight and/or go a little more crazy. I take xanax for the anxiety and I feel for you having panic attacks. Mine just hit out of the blue, I don't usually have time to prepare for them (like taking a walk or deep breathing) I definatley recommend exercise on a regular basis, it has helped me tremendously! Talk to your doc or find a new one!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I feel like i need to get my ocd and anxiety under control on my own but the problem is right now i need a little extra help... i hate switching between drugs because that causes more dr appts and time off from work i know im just complaining i work in the medical field so i understand you need to be monitored but sometimes i just wish that i didnt have these issues!

I saw a post hear that tried to debate the use of medications. I just want to remind you, you know what has worked for you. Don't let people make you feel bad for taking medication to help you get to a place of contentment and control. People who have never dealt with issues like these, don't realise how dibilitating (spelling??) it can be.

You have support here. Just look at how many others have found success with the aid of medication. Taking medication doesn't mean you will forever need them - but you may need them for now. That is ok!

Yes, seeing a psychologist is helpful. And medication can help. Exercise can help. Sure! It is finding the right combination that will help YOU. This is for YOU.

Health, healing and positivity coming your way :)