The Ketosis Diet - Any opinions?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Got to be honest, ketosis is not a great thing. When your body is lacking carbs it eats itself to replace. I was on a no carb diet for a while (bit like atkins) and went to the doctors for an unrelated issue, had a urine test and he commented on the "keytones" in my sample.
    It does have great effects but puts extreme pressure on the kidneys.

Calories in vs. calories out is how you lose weight. Keto is one way to help with a calorie deficit that won't leave you starving for more food since you're taking in high fats and moderate protein.

Wouldn't you actually be eating less food if you're eating high fats as fats are the most calorie dense of all the macros?

Yes, you eat less food but are satisfied because your body is burning it's fat stores for energy instead of needing more carbs (more food) for energy.

O I C, sure the increased protein intake isn't responsible for increased satiety, high fat foods haven't performed that great in studies measuring satiety

It's burning your own body fat that is responsible for increased satiety. If you eat too much fat or too many calories then your body does not burn it's own fat for energy and you will not be satisfied. The body takes the path of least resistance. Carbs take the least amount of energy to convert to blood glucose and produce energy. So, if you eat a lot of carbs the body burns that first and prefers it. If you eat too much fat then your body will just use the fat you are currently consuming for energy. But, if you eat the right balance to force your body to burn its own fat stores then you have enough energy and you stay satisfied longer.

So really according to you, keto isn't advantageous at all for satiety, if you hold protein and calories constant. Got it
  • medic34758
    Options
    I've been on this type diet for 6 months total and have lost 87 lbs. There was a 3 month break, ate "normally" and only gained 7 lbs back and stayed at that weight until I started back up. I cheated a few times but realize I double up my efforts after my slip ups. I can vouch that this worked for me. No underlying medical problems or other issues (luckily). Went to physician every other month to make sure nothing was getting out of control, just kept getting accolades from my provider for the weight lost. Some of the horror story or negative posts here are by people who obviously have not done it and are just chiming in to say something of no value.

I routinely eat about 1000-1200 cal per day and walk 5 miles EVERY day.
  • jeleda913
    Options
    Will you lose weight? Yes - and quickly; however, I found it to be too extreme to stick for any extended period of time. And no matter how much weight you lose, if you end up putting it back on, it's no good. Better to learn good eating (and exercise) habits over time, so that you can actually lose and MAINTAIN your new lifestyle. It may not be as gratifying, but I'm find a much higher level of success - and overall, greater satisfaction - by making small, steady changes to my diet and exercise. I'm no longer "on a diet", I'm simply learning to make healthier choices (while still splurgin occassionally), and losing weight along the way. :-) As for the post advising you to talk to your doctor - good advice! A good doctor will send you to a nutritionist, who has specific training & knowledge to help you on your weight loss path.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I know someone who is doing this on a program monitored by her Dr. She is losing weight but she is absolutely miserable. And, she only has about 40-50 lbs to lose. I am happy with my slow but sure weight loss that allows me to eat whatever I want, if I'm going to have something calorie and fat dense I will just work out a little extra.

Aw, that's too bad that she's miserable. Do you know what she's eating? Personally, I am completely un-miserable eating sirloin steak with buttered veggies, salad with yummy dressing and sunflower seeds, protein shakes made with almond milk, lchicken and tuna salad made with real mayo. After cutting out most sugar and starchy carbs I truly don't crave them anymore (yes, the first week is rough). You have to totally cut them out though to reap the benefits of losing your addiction/craving for them. Maybe she's eating just a bit of sugar so she's still craving it and miserable from not eating lots of it?
  • eduardoschoen
    Options
    I am constantly amazed at the people that say that once you go off of so and so diet you will gain all your weight back. That may be true for some people that go back to eating the way they did before their transformation. However, if you truly make a lifestyle change during your transformation there is no reason why you will gain all your weight back "with a vengeance" as long as you are conscious of what you eat and exercise. That is what MFP is all about. Logging your calories both food and exercise and staying within your goals.

Remember, just because one person had a good or bad experience doesn't mean you will have the same. Also, there is no one fitness or nutrition plan that will work for everybody.

Again, best of luck in meeting your goals with whatever fitness and nutrition plan you decide.
  • maremare312
    Options
    OP--here's a couple groups on MFP. As you can see, sometimes it's rough posting to the main forum about low carb. You can also check out the Keto subforum on Reddit. Good luck if you decide to try it, and if it's not for you keep looking, different things work for different people so I hope you find what works for you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1494-reddit-keto
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Ketones are produced whenever your body burns fat. If you are on ANY diet and losing body fat then you are producing ketones. Your body uses those ketones for energy. If you produce more ketones than your body needs for energy the excess spills into your urine and is disposed of. That is ketosis. All weight loss diets include an element of carbohydrate deficit. If you eat enough carbs to maintain the energy your body needs then you do not burn fat for energy and you will not lose body fat. If you eat more carbohydrates than your body needs for energy, the excess carbohydrates get stored as fat and you gain weight.

Not true.

I'm losing weight with a controlled diet, my carbs come in between 50-100 a day. There are no ketones in my urine (I check).

There are several diets out there that do not restrict carbs in anyway, Slimming World for instance.

50-100 carbs a day is low-carb. It may not be low enough to produce excess ketones that show up in your urine (ketosis) but it is still low carb and forcing your body to burn its fat stores.
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Will you lose weight? Yes - and quickly; however, I found it to be too extreme to stick for any extended period of time. And no matter how much weight you lose, if you end up putting it back on, it's no good. Better to learn good eating (and exercise) habits over time, so that you can actually lose and MAINTAIN your new lifestyle. It may not be as gratifying, but I'm find a much higher level of success - and overall, greater satisfaction - by making small, steady changes to my diet and exercise. I'm no longer "on a diet", I'm simply learning to make healthier choices (while still splurgin occassionally), and losing weight along the way. :-) As for the post advising you to talk to your doctor - good advice! A good doctor will send you to a nutritionist, who has specific training & knowledge to help you on your weight loss path.

This is a logical fallacy. Any diet that you go on, be it low-fat, low-carbohydrate, paleo, keto, Atkin's, whatever, is subject to being something that you stick with and becomes a lifestyle change.

Second, people regain weight because they fall back into their old habits and are no longer adhering to "good habits". It isn't because they eat carbs again and magically gain weight.

As much as doing resistance training or exercise counts, so does what you put into your body. Keto isn't about going crazy over fats, it isn't about over doing protein either. Sure, there are extremists who briefly read about a type of diet and then venture into it without doing proper research, but those are the ones that don't last long on the diet.

So, like I said, any diet, regardless of how you eat, is a lifestyle change and one that should be maintained and that you constantly adjust depending on how you want your body composition to be.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I personally would not do anything to lose weight that you can't do for the rest of your life. Do you really want to give up things like bread, bagels, pizza, tortillas, pasta, and scones for the rest of your life?

Uh, yeah, don't have a problem with giving those things up if it means I am at a healthy weight, more energy, less joint pain, and many other benefits. Refusing to deprive ourselves a little is why we gained weight in the first place. And you don't have to give them all up for the rest of your life. When you hit goal weight you can add some back into your diet, if you like. Moderation is the key.
  • msmith1118
    Options
    Ketosis is not a normal state for the body to be in. It is what happens to diabetics when they are not in control. I have been on it when I was a lot younger and lost wt but then gained it back quickly. I also remember my breath having a bad smell! I also missed having something crunchy until I discovered pork rinds(no carbs). I had them with salsa and they made decent nachos! I am currently following a low glycemic diet(the South Beach Diet) that seems much more sensible and I am doing well on it, I can make this a lifestyle. Good Luck
  • maremare312
    Options
    I personally would not do anything to lose weight that you can't do for the rest of your life. Do you really want to give up things like bread, bagels, pizza, tortillas, pasta, and scones for the rest of your life?

Uh, yeah, don't have a problem with giving those things up if it means I am at a healthy weight, more energy, less joint pain, and many other benefits. Refusing to deprive ourselves a little is why we gained weight in the first place. And you don't have to give them all up for the rest of your life. When you hit goal weight you can add some back into your diet, if you like. Moderation is the key.

Ditto! Most healthy plans will tell you to avoid sugar and white flour foods, right? This just goes a little further. Besides, it's not avoiding all of those for the rest of your life, I still have an occasional low carb tortilla and it's yummy! I make my own version of pizza on a cauliflower crust and it's great.
  • chinatbag
    Options
    Ketosis is not a normal state for the body to be in. It is what happens to diabetics when they are not in control. I have been on it when I was a lot younger and lost wt but then gained it back quickly. I also remember my breath having a bad smell! I also missed having something crunchy until I discovered pork rinds(no carbs). I had them with salsa and they made decent nachos! I am currently following a low glycemic diet(the South Beach Diet) that seems much more sensible and I am doing well on it, I can make this a lifestyle. Good Luck

This is kind of a convoluted post.

I think what you're thinking of is type 1 diabetics and if they go into a state of diabetic ketoacidosis, this is an emergency situation.

There are many peer reviewed journals regarding a low-carbohydrate diet that does induce ketosis in the participants of the study, and it isn't for a very long time. The effects of long term ketosis are still unknown.

Additionally, the ketogenic diet is essentially a diet that is a low glycemic diet.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Ditto! Most healthy plans will tell you to avoid sugar and white flour foods, right? This just goes a little further. Besides, it's not avoiding all of those for the rest of your life, I still have an occasional low carb tortilla and it's yummy! I make my own version of pizza on a cauliflower crust and it's great.

That is exactly the type of eating I came to MFP to avoid doing anymore. Low carb diets (off and on for the last 6 years) have made me miserable and carb-sick over and over again (like homesick). I always end up cheating and gaining back all of the weight. That's why I had to stop the low carb/low fat/high protein diet that got me as far as I am now - I was bored and cheating. I came here, incorporated carbs back into my diet, started losing again and am finding it much easier to stay within my alotted calories.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to go to the extreme no carb dieting, check out the slow-carb way of eating like the South Beach Diet. Good protein level, good fats, and only good carbs that don't spike your insulin. A good compromise where you can still eat some fruits and whole grains once you get past the first 2 weeks. I personally feel so much better without the sugar and simple carbs.

Keto apparently works well for some people. I believe the OP asked for advice from people who had actually TRIED the Keto diet, so those of us that haven't tried it, shouldn't really comment on whether it works or not.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Low carb high fat: good.
    Low carb high protein: bad. This one is toxic. A tell tale sign that your eating too much protein is *kitten* breath.

Low carb works for burning fat in people who have the same problem I have. Carb don't convert to energy, they get stored as fat. Carbs make me sluggish and sleepy. I dubbed it carb induced narcolepsy. :bigsmile:
    The best part of low carb high fat is that is not a "diet." It is a change in eating lifestyle.
    If I did a so-called "balanced diet" I would immediately stop losing weight and then gaining it back.
    I was pre-diabetic and had high cholesterol. After the first 8 months of LCHF I had my annual checkup and full blood workup.
    No longer pre-diabetic and cholesterol and triglycerides dropped 30%.
    If my carbs are too low at the end of the day I sometime add Exotic chips (Caribbean root chips). Gets the fat count up too.
    Nuts are a decent source of bound carbs too.

Re the fast first pounds, almost any "diet" will shed the first pounds quickly. I've lost the first 30 a few times over the last decade. :laugh:
    LCHF is the first time I have changed how I eat and understanding why I must sustain this change even after I get to my goal weight. I can't go back to snacking on Doritos or other processed carbs.

For what it is worth, science has found that your brain functions more efficiently on ketones than on carbs.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    South Beach is a great diet. It is also a low carb diet. (low glycemic = low carb) Phase 1 of South Beach will definitely put you in ketosis. (excess ketones in urine). Phase 2 adds in more carbs but it is still low carb. I've been on South Beach. For me, I stopped losing weight with Phase 2. My current low carb diet is basically South Beach Phase 1.
  • chinatbag
    Options
    Low carb high fat: good.
    Low carb high protein: bad. This one is toxic. A tell tale sign that your eating too much protein is *kitten* breath.

Low carb works for burning fat in people who have the same problem I have. Carb don't convert to energy, they get stored as fat. Carbs make me sluggish and sleepy. I dubbed it carb induced narcolepsy. :bigsmile:
    The best part of low carb high fat is that is not a "diet." It is a change in eating lifestyle.
    If I did a so-called "balanced diet" I would immediately stop losing weight and then gaining it back.
    I was pre-diabetic and had high cholesterol. After the first 8 months of LCHF I had my annual checkup and full blood workup.
    No longer pre-diabetic and cholesterol and triglycerides dropped 30%.
    If my carbs are too low at the end of the day I sometime add Exotic chips (Caribbean root chips). Gets the fat count up too.
    Nuts are a decent source of bound carbs too.

Re the fast first pounds, almost any "diet" will shed the first pounds quickly. I've lost the first 30 a few times over the last decade. :laugh:
    LCHF is the first time I have changed how I eat and understanding why I must sustain this change even after I get to my goal weight. I can't go back to snacking on Doritos or other processed carbs.

For what it is worth, science has found that your brain functions more efficiently on ketones than on carbs.

I'm going to quote this because I don't want it to get buried. Also, these are the findings that peer reviewed medical journals have been finding.
  • Webona293
    Webona293 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Okay now that I've been called "dumb" by more than a few persons (and thanks for that, saying I was in error would have been just fine) let me clarify...people who use low carb diets to lose weight quickly lose it, but in order to keep it off you STILL have to count calories in and out so why deprive yourself of certain foods you like when you would have lost the SAME amount of weight at the end of the year by doing calorie deficit? If you're diabetic that's a whole different diet ballgame. When you stop dieting and go back to eating carbs normally the weight WILL come back, which is why after induction on Atkins they have you add small portions of carbs back into your diet so you can calculate how much will make you gain weight back for OWL and lifetime management. I've done atkins a few times before and lost up to 20lbs in 2 weeks but as soon as I went off it the weight came back. And then some.
    So to sum up unless you have some kind of medical reason to need an ultra low carb diet I don't see the point in depriving one's self when the weight will come off anyway doing calorie deficit.

And on another note we are all grown ups here no need to say someone's opinion or comment is dumb...the original poster asked our opinions and I gave mine. And please don't type like I don't exist (ie "comments like that are dumb") and I'm not going to read your comment eventually it's a little insulting. I'm right here and if I'm in error I'd like to know directly thank you.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Ketosis and the Paleo diet are pretty similar I think....Lots of protein and healthy fat and low carb and nothing processed or man-made. So like- if the cavemen wouldn't have eaten it ( bread, dairy, sugars) you don't eat it either. That's God's original diet for the human body....He didn't make bread man did....we really shouldn't eat it. Etc...

Lol what a beautiful ironic sentiment, "God didn't make bread, man did." But who made god?! :P
  • chinatbag
    Options
    So to sum up unless you have some kind of medical reason to need an ultra low carb diet I don't see the point in depriving one's self when the weight will come off anyway doing calorie deficit.

The reason is to not create an insulin response. If someone is pre-diabetic or is type 2 diabetic, they are prone to insulin resistance. What this means is, over time, if they continue to have this issue where the pancreas continues to pump out insulin in order to compensate for the sugars ingested, that person may reach the point of no return, where the extra insulin that is being compensated does nothing in their body to help metabolize sugar. This will cause dangerously high levels of blood glucose which is definitely an emergency. The idea is to prevent this from happening, as our bodies have a finite number of cells before expiration. This is why you don't want to eat over a certain amount of carbohydrates or sugars. All of this can eventually lead to cardiovascular problems, kidney disease, etc.

Edit: clarification, 30 hours awake, 45 min of total sleep right now. Running on fumes.