Sugar???

Options
13»

Replies

• EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Insulin does NOT play any kind of role in weight loss. The "insulin hypothesis" as it's been called has been completely debunked. Insulin regulates anabolism, growth hormone, muscle growth, and glycogen storage, (among several hundred other functions.) It has nothing to do with weight gain or loss. Weight gain and loss is solely based on energy balance, total calories consumed vs total calories burned, over long term period (generally weeks.)

While there are some people with legitimate metabolic conditions that need to limit carbohydrates to maintain their health, the vast majority of people who low carb "think" they are doing better on it because low carbing leads to a substantial loss of initial water weight. It's a mental thing, not biological.

I'm sorry to tell you this but I'm going to stop posting on the forums after today, so you'll have to find someone else to bully and make feel inferior to you. I hope that you can find some happiness in your life because picking on eager, sensitive, and passionate people like me can't be a very fulfilling hobby. Please try to feel better about your unemployment and your OBESITY; I'm unemployed too, but at least I'm LOSING WEIGHT and doing all of the house chores and child rearing....

So yeah, enjoy your nasty life of posting 4,000 replies on this forum... Oh and I found something for ya buddy (look at attached pic). :angry:

someone-on-the-internet-is-wrong2.jpg

You have screwed up priorities buddy. Get a life and kiss your wife before she leaves you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Insulin does NOT play any kind of role in weight loss. The "insulin hypothesis" as it's been called has been completely debunked. Insulin regulates anabolism, growth hormone, muscle growth, and glycogen storage, (among several hundred other functions.) It has nothing to do with weight gain or loss. Weight gain and loss is solely based on energy balance, total calories consumed vs total calories burned, over long term period (generally weeks.)

While there are some people with legitimate metabolic conditions that need to limit carbohydrates to maintain their health, the vast majority of people who low carb "think" they are doing better on it because low carbing leads to a substantial loss of initial water weight. It's a mental thing, not biological.

I'm sorry to tell you this but I'm going to stop posting on the forums after today, so you'll have to find someone else to bully and make feel inferior to you. I hope that you can find some happiness in your life because picking on eager, sensitive, and passionate people like me can't be a very fulfilling hobby. Please try to feel better about your unemployment and your OBESITY; I'm unemployed too, but at least I'm LOSING WEIGHT and doing all of the house chores and child rearing....

So yeah, enjoy your nasty life of posting 4,000 replies on this forum... Oh and I found something for ya buddy (look at attached pic). :angry:

You have screwed up priorities buddy. Get a life and kiss your wife before she leaves you.

And every one of those 4100 posts are better than any single one of your 392. You argue with everyone, even if you are wrong, you just can't admit it.
  • EccentricDad
    Options

And every one of those 4100 posts are better than any single one of your 392. You argue with everyone, even if you are wrong, you just can't admit it.

I'll admit it. I am just as arrogant and stubborn as the next d*ckhead on this forum. The only difference, is that most of my arguing is in defense mode; not offense.

EDIT: And most of my "posts" are replies to questions I've asked trying to get information because I'm noticing NOTHING is consistent. Probably because science isn't perfect and what's good for you this week will be bad for you next week. Everyone strives for the perfect diet, but depending on who you believe, it could be different.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

Wow. You really don't like being wrong, huh?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Extreme over-reaction to someone simply providing a statement that disagreed with yours. Not ok. This is the internet - people are going to disagree with you.

Edit to say that tigersword posts a lot....and always seems to provide sound advice and a voice of moderation and good information. So I don't know what you are so upset about, other than the fact that he disagreed with you.
  • EccentricDad
    Options

Wow. You really don't like being wrong, huh?

No, I hate emotional predators who prey on people who have good intentions but may have incorrect information. Though I fail to see how my information is right or wrong; science is a set of theories that haven't been proven false. That's why coffee is good, bad, good for you...
  • EccentricDad
    Options

Extreme over-reaction to someone simply providing a statement that disagreed with yours. Not ok. This is the internet - people are going to disagree with you.

Other people said wrong things too, why pick on me?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I'm not picking on you. That's just your interpretation of the situation. I'm telling you that posting that picture and saying his wife was going to leave him was ridiculous. An overreaction to someone having an opinion that disagreed with yours. Uncalled for.
  • EccentricDad
    Options

I'm not picking on you. That's just your interpretation of the situation. I'm telling you that posting that picture and saying his wife was going to leave him was ridiculous. An overreaction to someone having an opinion that disagreed with yours. Uncalled for.

Sorry, defense mechanism I acquired after many years of being bullied, abused, and taken advantage of. But only a sensitive person would be able to see how Tiger was attacking me and not being "helpful".

Again, leaving forums. Big waste of time since no single diet is best for everyone. It's very subjective and open to variation.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Everyone on MFP always says not to worry about 'natural' sugars coming from fruits and vegetables. This may not be so!!! I believed it because that really makes sense, but then I read the book "Wheat Belly" and it explained it in a different way. Fruits and vegetables (and wheat, for that matter) are natural foods that are grown from the earth, BUT they are not the same wholesome foods grown hundreds of years ago. Scientists have genetically modified almost everything to yield bigger crops that taste sweeter to match the growing population and competition. While f*ckin around with the plants genetic make-up they don't bother to test it for the nutritional properties that have been changed, and apparently wheat could possibly be responsible for all sorts of epidemics and diseases, including diabetes and obesity, as a result.

It says in the book that mangoes and pineapples are amongst the worst foods for causing insulin spikes. This upset me because they are my two favorite fruits in the world! Makes sense though, I guess I just loved all that sugar

Conspiracy!!!!....... :noway:
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    Exactly. Going to grade-school level personal attacks is pretty dumb. Especially when the guy you are attacking is pretty damned knowledgeable and one of the most informed people on this site. (Though they would be equally ridiculous if thrown at anyone.)

You go and admit you are just repeating what you have seen? How is that beneficial? Maybe I'd rather listen to the man who has done some of his own research and reading and learning and doing. Ease up on the whole martyr complex thing, dude.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Just eat real food
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    And no one was being attacked - well, tiger was, but otherwise. You know what was being attacked? Bad information.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    But this is good sugar!!! The sugar found naturally in fruits and vegetables doesn't cause the spike in blood sugar that processed foods cause because they're surrounded by fibre the body has to get to first! Fruits, veges and dairy shouldn't be avoided because of their natural sugar content, as the nutrients they give you are important, just remember you can have too much of a good thing! Avoiding processed foods with sugar is the best way to keep sugar down.

this!
  • sukaera
    sukaera Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    But this is good sugar!!! The sugar found naturally in fruits and vegetables doesn't cause the spike in blood sugar that processed foods cause because they're surrounded by fibre the body has to get to first! Fruits, veges and dairy shouldn't be avoided because of their natural sugar content, as the nutrients they give you are important, just remember you can have too much of a good thing! Avoiding processed foods with sugar is the best way to keep sugar down.

There's no difference between added sugar and fruit sugar, molecularly they are identical.

As long as your carbs and calories are in line with your goals, then sugar doesn't matter.

^^this
    There's a good video by Lustig about cane sugar, HFCS, and fruit sugar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

To your body, sugar is sugar. Of course sugar from fruit is better than sugar from a snicker's bar, but a high amount from either source has the same effect on your body.
  • GrandpaRev
    GrandpaRev Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was the same way at first, but after talking to my specialists, it's all good. The only thing I had to watch for is that after a while, my body "rejects" too much sugar, so even if I overdo the good stuff, I get a little tummy ache.. But the natural is always better nutritionally then the others overall, so I'll take it.
    After 43 pounds so far, I'm loving it, so good luck with yours!
    Blessings!:smile: