Green Coffee Bean Extract?

Options

Replies

• Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Oh hey sounds like another grasping at straws I can make some endorsement money Dr Oz special product I would give up my healthy eating and exercise for. I guess a quick energy boost a little thermogenic and about a week of progress as you probably drop some fluid is good
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Dr. Joe Vinson of the University of Scranton presented results of research in March 2012 whereby he performed a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled crossover study which found a significant correlation between consumption of green coffee and weight loss.[2] Vinson thinks that the weight loss may be due to chlorogenic acid, which is thought to reduce the absorption of glucose and lower the hyperglycemic peak although there is no evidence of this belief. The study was funded by Applied Food Sciences Inc, a manufacturer of green coffee bean extract.[3] The study was small, utilizing only 16 individuals and published in a no impact factor journal,[4] and has not yet been replicated, so conclusions are suspect.[5][6]

Yeah, no thanks.

You could just buy a caffeine supplement, which would have exactly the same effect (slight thermogenic and appetite suppresent) at 1/4 of the price.
  • jmsouth5
    jmsouth5 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I started taking it 3 weeks ago. I am so fricken frustrated. The first week I gained 3 POUNDS!!??? The next week I lost those 3 lbs. I weighed today, in the morning, buck nekid, and I GAINED 2.5 LBS!! I kicked my *kitten* this week with workouts, eating right and no snacks. I have started to fill my (4 cup) water bottle in the morning (after my two cups of regular tea) with 2 green tea bags and 1 peppermint (for the flavor). And with all that I F'N GAINED. My husband has fluctuated by 2-3 lbs. as of today he's down by 2lbs. So I am very frustrated, as I have already said. Maybe I need a calorie crazy day to throw myself off, I have read that can jump start a loss. IDFK :mad:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    The effect is not a placebo effect. Green coffee beans are coffee beans. Coffee contains caffeine, which is a stimulant. Stimulants have an appetite suppressant effect and boost metabolism (hence, stimulant). The roasting process that a coffee bean goes through neither adds nor removes any of the caffeine - it simply changes the flavor of the beans and dries them out so they can be ground up and used to make coffee.

The only thing Dr. Oz can possibly be faulted with is trying to differentiate the product he is promoting from other cheaper sources of caffeine, like plain black coffee. If green coffee beans taste better to you or you find them more convenient as your caffeine source, though, it's all good.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have never even heard of this! It doesn't even sound appealing.
  • tjham1
    tjham1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have been taking 2 a day for 2 weeks. I was already on a steady weight loss with MFP and it seems the same now. I will keep taking them and giving it a chance since I have 2 bottles. I have no side effects.

I have trouble taking the pill 30 minutes before I eat. I eat on a rather varied schedule and often I take the pill and then something comes up and I don't actually eat for an hour or more. I wonder how important it is to actually follow the 30 minute time table.
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I did, prob the best money i've ever spent ever. Very strong placebo effect from them

You should try Buckwheat tea-pills! That's really boosting your placebo effect!
    No honestly, it's the same with all those products. I've tried 7-keto and raspberry keto. Didn't do anything but making me aware of how naive I was (and making me waste money).
  • phenixred
    phenixred Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I ordered The green Coffee bean extract from amazon. i put a scoop in my morning drink. I just started yesterday so we will see what happens i guess.
  • klalaw
    klalaw Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, there was a segment on green coffee bean extract on the Dr. Oz show today. I know there are a lot of Oz haters out there, but, for what it's worth, he made a big deal about how he does not endorse any product, and is trying to crack down on everyone using his name to sell their stuff. He also presented the results of his own study (only a two-week study, with a definite placebo effect, but also a higher loss on average for the non-placebo group) and talked about the specific type of supplement that they used - has to have certain ingredients, etc. Probably won't convert a lot of people into believers, but I found it interesting. More info here: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/green-coffee-bean-project
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'd hate to be that guy, but I'm going to be that guy. Dr. Oz is a cardiac surgeon. I'd take what he says with a grain of salt. There is no magic pill or food for weight loss.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I did, prob the best money i've ever spent ever. Very strong placebo effect from them

That's the worst part of being a nutrition science major. The placebo effect doesn't work on us :( the more you read, the less weight you lose from magical pills and extracts.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

That's the worst part of being a nutrition science major. The placebo effect doesn't work on us :( the more you read, the less weight you lose from magical pills and extracts.

Just close your eyes and picture unicorns and rainbows
  • emmie0622
    emmie0622 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If Dr. Oz endorses it, I stay away from it. They don't work. They're crap. Raspberry ketones are too. Dr. Oz gets paid to endorse these products. That's why he peddles them on his show. Don't waste your money on this stuff. You're not losing because of the pills.

Totally agree - used to respect him but not anymore. Last year he was endorsing Weight Watchers. He is all about $$$$
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Dr. Joe Vinson of the University of Scranton presented results of research in March 2012 whereby he performed a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled crossover study which found a significant correlation between consumption of green coffee and weight loss.[2] Vinson thinks that the weight loss may be due to chlorogenic acid, which is thought to reduce the absorption of glucose and lower the hyperglycemic peak although there is no evidence of this belief. The study was funded by Applied Food Sciences Inc, a manufacturer of green coffee bean extract.[3] The study was small, utilizing only 16 individuals and published in a no impact factor journal,[4] and has not yet been replicated, so conclusions are suspect.[5][6]

Yeah, no thanks.

You could just buy a caffeine supplement, which would have exactly the same effect (slight thermogenic and appetite suppresent) at 1/4 of the price.

Took the words right out of my mouth!
  • geminai
    geminai Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new here, but here's my experience. I'm 41, hypothyroid (taking .225 mg synthroid daily), "morbidly obese" and 10 pounds into my hopeful 86-pound weight loss. I joined MFP after my last bloodwork round showed my sugar pretty high (many family members on both sides are diabetic - so far I've been able to stave off that diagnosis with diet and exercise). On the advice of a friend, I bought the green coffee bean stuff that's just 100% coffee bean extract (ie - no fillers or extras). I remember to take it about every other day, but it does definitely seem to curb my appetite and make me not feel like I'm depriving myself. It also seems to curb my desire to snack. My hubby joined MFP a few days after me, after seeing the positive changes I made, which makes the process easier.

I work out 4 days a week (twice on Thursdays) and am keeping under 1280 calories 6 days a week (we allow ourselves one "cheat" day weekly) and am down 10 pounds in 3.5 weeks. I don't expect this rate of loss to continue, because I'm sure my body's just in shock, but I definitely do feel like the extract is helping me. And hey, even if it's "just a placebo", so long as it is helping, who am I to argue? :)
    To those of you who wrote in....thanks, and glad to have you aboard this topic, for those of you who seem to think that writing in telling us that we're all idiots, high on the placebo effect, save your sarcasm, your negativity....I started this topic for people who have tried it, want to try it, or generally have knowledge particular to green coffee bean extract....If I wanted snarky comments, I'd watch Tosh.0.

Keep the comments which actually pertain to green coffee bean extract a'coming. I've been on it a little over a week now, and I've lost some pounds, and I didn't work out at all last week, due to some medical crap, and I didn't gain any of those pounds back while I wasn't working out.

I don't think this is a "miracle pill"....but I also can't rule it out as being useless in the realm of weightloss either. So those of you who are taking it, keep checking back, let us know how you're doing....for those of you who are thinking about trying t, keep checking back for progress reports for those of us who are already trying it. :)

Have a great Labor Day everyone!

~hl~
  • HeatherLynnO
    HeatherLynnO Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great new added info, appreciate that guys! Keep em coming. :) I'm down 6 lbs now....and I haven't really been a control freak about diet or exercise and I'm still losing....be it placebo effect....then so be it, but I have a couple more bottles to take, so I'll keep checking in and seeing how everyone else is doing!

~hl~
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Just finished reading all these posts. I did a lot of online research on this last week, and there are some negative people posting nonsense here. Just Google it, folks, before you shoot your mouths off. Here's what I found from reading independent web sites that are NOT promoting the product.

1. One "dose" (size of dose not stated) of green coffee bean extract has only 1/5 the caffeine of a cup of coffee.

2. The active ingredient in green coffee bean extract is chlorogenic acid, which apparently increases fat-burning.

3. There are two studies that have shown a correlation between green coffee bean extract and weight loss. One was done in Italy and involved mice. The other was done in the USA (University of Scranton) and involved 16 participants (too small a study to be conclusive), but indicative of real possibility.

4. There is a huge amount of variation in the recommendations for how much you need to take to see a weight loss effect.

Having read all that, I decided to give it a try. Typically, I do two hours a day of gentle exercise (mostly walking the dogs and riding a stationary bike), and I keep my net calories below 1200 per day. The most I've ever lost in one week of dieting, over the past year and a half of dieting, was 1/2 pound per week. I decided to try green coffee extract last weekend. After five days of trying 400 mg of green coffee extract 1/2 hour prior to each meal, I have lost 1 pound 2 ounces since last weekend. Only time will tell if this accelerated rate of weight loss will continue, but I will continue to try it for a few weeks. I have had no unpleasant side effects at all.

I will let you know if the accelerated weight loss continues.

So far, there appear to be no negative side effects. I'm not ready to recommend it, but I do recommend not dissing on it yet.
  • HeatherLynnO
    Options
    Thank you so much for writing in! So happy you're seeing results. this is wonderful news. I am with you, i'm not recommending it, yet, I can't tell you it doesn't work either. I'm just going to keep on doing what I'm doing and see what happens. :) Appreciate your post here.

~Heather Lynn~
  • sdnwood
    sdnwood Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Started taking the green coffee bean stuff on Saturday. I'm not changing anything that I normally do, so we'll see. Also got my husband to try it, and believe me, he is not dieting or exercising. :happy:
  • HeatherLynnO
    Options
    sdnwood - look forward to hearing your results! :) And I hope they are good ones for you and your husband both.