5 Tips to Speed Up Your Metabolism

Options

Replies

• Struelove1
    Struelove1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well I am new to trying to get on the healthy side, and searching anywhere and everywhere for help as I dont fully understand how I am suppose to be eating per my doctor. But awaiting for approval to see a nutritionist, so hopefully that will help
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your effort to be helpful, but much of this information has been proven to be false. Eat at a moderate calorie deficit and exercise regularly. It is really as simple as that.
    This^
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Well I am new to trying to get on the healthy side, and searching anywhere and everywhere for help as I dont fully understand how I am suppose to be eating per my doctor. But awaiting for approval to see a nutritionist, so hopefully that will help

Hope you get to see a nutrionist as everyone is different. Basically, it's taking in less calories than you burn, drinking lots of water (fluids), watching carbs, fats.... and exercise
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Hope you get to see a nutrionist as everyone is different. Basically, it's taking in less calories than you burn, drinking lots of water (fluids), watching carbs, fats.... and exercise

I get you're trying to be helpful- but first- everyone's not that different. With the exception of disease and disorders, most people are pretty much the same. Second- not everyone needs to watch carbs or fats. As a matter of fact, most people don't need to specifically limit either. A well balanced diet where you get enough protein, a wide variety of vegetables and fruits, and some healthy fats works for pretty much everyone- as long as you are at an appropriate calorie deficit for your goals. I didn't mention carbs in that list, because it's a matter of preference and satiety. If you don't have a specific condition that requires limiting carbs or fats, and you don't want to, you don't have to. Get the right amount of protein and fat within your calorie limits, and the carbs sort of limit themselves so they're not out of whack.
  • janlee_001
    Options

I get you're trying to be helpful- but first- everyone's not that different. With the exception of disease and disorders, most people are pretty much the same. Second- not everyone needs to watch carbs or fats. As a matter of fact, most people don't need to specifically limit either. A well balanced diet where you get enough protein, a wide variety of vegetables and fruits, and some healthy fats works for pretty much everyone- as long as you are at an appropriate calorie deficit for your goals. I didn't mention carbs in that list, because it's a matter of preference and satiety. If you don't have a specific condition that requires limiting carbs or fats, and you don't want to, you don't have to. Get the right amount of protein and fat within your calorie limits, and the carbs sort of limit themselves so they're not out of whack.
    No most people aren't the same and yes I neglected to include protein along with the proper amount of carbs, fats ...
    But I disagree with you regarding carbs.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    From what I can see it is from an article in Women’s Health magazine…..nuff said.

Listen lady- Don't talk **** about Women's Health. Have you ever even READ the magazine? They have a 1200 calorie meal plan in it each month that has pretty much changed my life! They have wonderful examples of fun cardio and different ways you can use household items to tone up.

Didn't you know you can cite magazines? If you couldn't, there wouldn't be examples of how to do so in APA, MLA, etc.

You can cite the National Enquirer using MLA and APA style too. Doesn't make te source any more reliable.
  • davenportk83
    davenportk83 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

No most people aren't the same and yes I neglected to include protein along with the proper amount of carbs, fats ...
    So everyone's different AND everyone needs to limit carbs?
  • smackadoodle
    smackadoodle Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    struelove1... thank you for taking the time to post this information. I appreciate everyone's effort to help each other on this site.:drinker:
  • Roachimumpty
    Roachimumpty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'll remember to eat better at breakfast. At the moment all i have the time for is an apple! Lol
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    35ku9eg.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    When you copy paste an article, it’s good to provide that link to the article so people can check sources. From what I can see it is from an article in Women’s Health magazine…..nuff said.

Kinda funny. I think that is the magazine I read about and found out about this very sight from. I checked it out, joined and am down 25 pounds and plan on going on and on. Without "Women's Day" this would never have happened. Nuff' Said

And, were you on a calorie deficit also while doing these wonderful and totally scientific based things?
  • LuxHappens
    LuxHappens Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Don't begin your fat loss journey by creating insane 80% deficits without knowing what RMR and TDEE stand far or even what your maintenance range is. Best tip ever.

Listen to this guy. He will steer in you the right direction.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thank you for the article and I agree with some of it, especially eating breakfast.

Here is an article from Web MD

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/increase-your-metabolism-start-losing-fat

That is basically from the same original source as the article the OP posted an extract of.

Check this out for one of the studies that indicate intra day meal frequency is irrelevent:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985?

"There have been reports of an inverse relationship between meal frequency (MF) and adiposity. It has been postulated that this may be explained by favourable effects of increased MF on appetite control and possibly on gut peptides as well. The main goal of the present study was to investigate whether using a high MF could lead to a greater weight loss than that obtained with a low MF under conditions of similar energy restriction. Subjects were randomised into two treatment arms (high MF = 3 meals+3 snacks/d or low MF = 3 meals/d) and subjected to the same dietary energy restriction of - 2931 kJ/d for 8 weeks. Sixteen obese adults (n 8 women and 8 men; age 34.6 (sd 9.5); BMI 37.1 (sd 4.5) kg/m2) completed the study. Overall, there was a 4.7 % decrease in body weight (P < 0.01); similarly, significant decreases were noted in fat mass ( - 3.1 (sd 2.9) kg; P < 0.01), lean body mass ( - 2.0 (sd 3.1) kg; P < 0.05) and BMI ( - 1.7 (sd 0.8) kg/m2; P < 0.01). However, there were NS differences between the low- and high-MF groups for adiposity indices, appetite measurements or gut peptides (peptide YY and ghrelin) either before or after the intervention. We conclude that increasing MF does not promote greater body weight loss under the conditions described in the present study."
  • BigCat175
    BigCat175 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Nonsense - if you skip breakfast - your body does not go into starvation mode. Why people keep posting stuff like this eludes me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Here is a really good post that will hopefully simplify things and also help you wade through the morass of misinformation.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/635529-corn-used-my-man-parts-as-a-speedbag?

(Ignore the title - the OP has a warped sense of humor).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When we talk increasing metabolic rate, there really is only one way to increase it.... gain lean body mass. Exercise and foods can increase tdee but its not going to increase the calories burnt if you went into a coma. Either way the article.is off base.
  • janlee_001
    Options

So everyone's different AND everyone needs to limit carbs?
    Everyone is definitely different and I NEVER said everyone needs to limit carbs.

Do you like to argue and think in black/white?
  • DonnaMarieAnn39
    Options
    Have you tried Macha tea? I was using it for a couple of weeks but stopped because there was a lot going on in my life. I plan on going back on. I was told when I bought it that it helps with energy and weight loss. I wasn't on it long enough to notice. So, I will try again. Donna:flowerforyou: