Are you one of "Those" ex fatties!?

Options
I have been fit most my life. Got hurt, got LAZY gained weight. I stayed "Fat" for about 4 years. I found MFP thru a friend and have been slowly losing the weight. I am very close to my goal weight and LOTS of people have been noticing. I usually just say "thanks" and IF they ask how I let them know about this site and how I got back on the road to fitness.

I was at a meeting this morning and I brought Donuts for the crew. One of the guys asked which one I wanted and I said "I don't really eat those" which is true! I never have been a huge donut guy. He went off and said "OH! NOW you're Johnny fitness, but you were FAT a few months ago" I had to really think about it, am I one of "THOSE" ex-fatties, like the ex-smokers who get all preachy and have to bring it up in every conversation, but I like to think I'm not. I rarely talk about fitness or diet except on MFP. I don't even post "Going to the Gym" on Facebook lol!, even though I see many folks doing it. I have always been quiet about my personal life and fitness but it did make me think. I really don't want to be one of "THOSE".

SO, how do you handle the "How did you do it?" questions AND do you think you are one of "THOSE"

Replies

• reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    My opinion, I don't think you were being one of "those" types.

What I would have said, "I really have never care for donuts, have one if you like or don't either way I care for don't really like donuts."

I don't really think I am one of "those" types either, but I will tell you if you ask.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    You dont have to justify your lack of love for donuts to anyone!
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    Yelp, just tell him you havent ever really ate donuts...you arent one of "those" types. Now me on the other hand...LMBO!!!

I try not to be one of "Those" types because I know how annoying it was for me when others did it. BUT, I do answer if people ask. I tell them what I have done and what I am doing and just tell them I am enjoying it and dont plan on going back to looking and feeling the way I did before. :-)
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    work colleague "oh I could never depreive myself like you do, you know live once, you know"
    me "yeah exactly, you only live once."
  • jenneal89
    Options
    My opinion, I don't think you were being one of "those" types.

What I would have said, "I really have never care for donuts, have one if you like or don't either way I care for don't really like donuts."

I don't really think I am one of "those" types either, but I will tell you if you ask.

I agree!

I'm not one of 'THOSE' (although I can't be since I was 'fat' from gaining too much weight while pregnant) but if someone asks me how I lost the weight I tell them. I don't bring it up unless someone asks for fear of being one of 'those people'
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Doesn't sound like you are one of 'those'. Sounds like you made someone feel bad about their food choices which you can't do anything about! When I'm asked for specific details about how I did it, people want to hear that I found some 'magic pill'. When I tell them eating well and exercising, most lose interest in the conversation pretty quickly :laugh: Congrats on your weight loss and new lifestyle!
  • mdmcmillen
    mdmcmillen Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would say no you weren't. If you would have said "and you should not eat them either", then you might have been one of them. I've had to zip my trap a few times in similar situations. People don't like it when you point out their bad decisions.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I try not to be but it's a big part of my life at the moment, so generally I fail.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the guy was rude. You didn't do anything wrong. People who are defensive like that are usually projecting their own feelings. He probably felt guilty about eating a donut when someone else wasn't.
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You mean there's people that don't really like donuts?!!!! haha
    I agree that stating it differently, that you really never cared for donuts, might have went over better. I'm not sure I'm quite "one of those ex fatties" however Monday morning's school breakfast was a pb&j uncrustable with a processed packaged pie thing as a fruit choice, along with canned fruit which I'm sure was in syrup. I wasn't one of "those" parents to say anything, hey breakfast there is free and don't have your kid eat it if you don't like it, but I kept thinking how I thought school cafeterias were making changes to healthier eating....
    And I handle the questions by saying I did it all natural with better food choices and working out and I mention using MFP. Most people act shocked and wanna know about the surgery or the miracle pill. But can't tell them what they wanna hear if it's not true.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    If you were one of those types, wouldn't you have brought oatmeal and apple chips instead?

I don't eat pancakes, waffles, donuts, breakfast pastries, and that sort of stuff anymore. I used to, oh that's for sure. But not anymore. And I don't give a flying flip who cares why when what or how for my reasons for avoiding those foods. Anybody who wants to criticize my choices is clearly somebody I'm not wasting any time with anymore. And, yes, I've ended friendships for it. Life is too short to waste it trying to explain myself to condescending judgemental people.

And for the record, I've ended friendships with people who accuse me of being "Mr aren't you a badass now" and even more people who criticize me for not being "Aren't you a badass now" enough. There's little more annoying than somebody lecturing me on how my food choices are sooooo bad for me.

I guess if I had been in your situation, I would have said, "Here's some donuts. Eat them or don't. Your choice."
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I don't think I am one of those types, but I do worry that i bore my boyfriend who hears about it because I live with him.

I find it amusing when people ask me how i did it, and I just say I ate less and moved more, they seem somewhat disappointed. Like they expected a miracle cure.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I probably would have cracked him in the face. He can use the donuts to feel better when he wakes up.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Ugh I hate preachy ex smokers. AND new vegans.

Im lucky, as soon as I got halfway from fat to healthy I moved to a new state and started a new life so no one really knew me when I was twice this size. I don't think im preachy in real life, but im definitely one everyone knows is fitness-minded as a way of life. I explain when someone asks questions, but mostly im just notorious for getting people up off their *kitten*.

Maybe its cause I got fat cause of an injury as well. I was always fit except the few dark years after my wreck.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like you are one of 'those'. Sounds like you made someone feel bad about their food choices which you can't do anything about! When I'm asked for specific details about how I did it, people want to hear that I found some 'magic pill'. When I tell them eating well and exercising, most lose interest in the conversation pretty quickly :laugh: Congrats on your weight loss and new lifestyle!

It's not that I hate Donuts, Its just if I am going to eat some junk food (which I still do) I prefer blueberry muffins, which is WHY I brought Donuts instead of muffins :)

I get the "Magic pill , Shortcut" questions a lot too. I can usually weed out the really interested folks and the ones just asking casually.
  • allisona28
    allisona28 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    You look great!!!! Keep up the good work!! Sounds like dude was feeling a little jealous and wanted you to feel guilty for your success...I say smile and move on...!!!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I had a lot to lose, and I dropped the weight at about 10 lbs per month. People notice that sort of thing. I've been asked how I did it more times than I can count.

I don't blast out a lot of detail in response, because we all pretty much know how to lose weight. In most cases it is either a form of small talk, or the person meant "hey, congratulations on your weight loss!"

I open up to people who are trying and struggling, and are looking for advice. I also talk about bike rides/running/etc. with those who do similar things.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I was at first cause I was trying to keep myself focused but realised that yes it probably was annoying people I was talking to and just would instead politely decline without adding anything else on the end.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I am not one of "those" people when it comes to weight loss, but I struggle because I might just be one of "those" people when it comes to running. I do not discuss weight loss, eating, etc. But I am known around the hospital as that crazy runner girl and people are always asking me about my next race, or my run scheduled that weekend ...so when they ask I tell them. And then they look at me like I am crazy ... there is something about answering the question "so what are you running this weekend?" with the answer "23 miles" that just make people look at you funny! :)

I do post my runs on Facebook, but a good portion of my Facebook friends are runners too. I dont post it in a "look what I did you should do it too" way I just post it so I have a record and others can comment if they choose to. I have received about one private message per month from one of my friends (usually from high school) who has told me that I inspire them, motivate them, or that they started running too.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have been saying 'I don't eat that anymore' recently.
    Maybe I am one of those people. I only say it when they offer me crazy food though! 40 grams of fat muffins? have you not seen me walking two miles on my lunch breaks? LOL.

But seriously, I don't push anyone or insinuate that they should get healthier.
    People like that ticked me off when I was heavy, so I don't want to make other people feel that way.