Repairing your broken furnace (Metabolism)

Options

Replies

• conure2
    conure2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Interesting article.
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    good read.
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    also I would like to add if I eat first thing in the morning..porridge or fruit strawberries with low yogurt is my favourite. then I get more hungry and eat more! where if I leave it till half way through the day it doesnt make me so hungry!! seems like my body doesnt want to play ball!!

I find a bowl of oats with a little margarine, a tiny bit of agave and some fruit really hits the spots. Sometimes I put some nuts on it.

This morning though had frosted mini-wheats and soy milk since my tummy was not in the mood to process the oats.

I tend to eat more proteins and veggies after the morning. I do sometimes have some alvarado bread (more wheats sprouts in them), I like the no salt kind. I though limit those. The fruit throughout the day is something I should think about since I have IR.
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Exactly what I needed to hear at exactly the right moment. Thank you sooooo much.:)
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Great article, OP. I was a little skeptical at first because when people post articles it tends to be like "Don't eat (insert food) ever again or you'll gain 100 lbs. and die!!!!!!!!!!!! Please read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". But this was good and just what a lot of people need to read, I suspect.
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later!!!!!!:drinker:
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    First of all, who is Terry Christian? I can't believe all of the hoopla in this forum over an article by some unknown that is full of unreferenced claims. Starvation after 5-6 hours? That has been proven false. Aerobic exercise....even running a couple miles will catabolize muscle? GMAFB. Come on people, there are hundreds of posters on this forum that have proven these claims false. I can't believe everyone's overlooking these red flags in hopes of "restoking their metabolic furnace".

Honestly..

Start doing your OWN research. No one has a 'magic pill' no one is going to come and write exactly the right thing for everyone all the time. There are some good points in the article but it's not really the best option to just go on and believe everything on the internet just because it's there. A quick Google of this person brings up nothing health or fitness related and one would hope that anyone writing articles that are at least useful should have SOME background. Question things..
    Meh.
    Ridden with Broscience thats been debunked already.
    Good article for the beginner though.

To "Restart" a slow metabolism all you need to do is eat more.
    Simple stuff.
    If you eat below TDEE its fat loss.
    If you eat too low you plateau eventually and need to eat more.

The BS about not eating carbs at night is simply BS.

THIS^^
  • Mom_24
    Options
    This may have already been addressed by someone else, but this author states that Atkins is "no-carb" and that is just not true. Atkins is all about protein and low-glycemic produce, and waiting until maintenance to add in whole grains.
  • ahelland21
    ahelland21 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later. Thanks for sharing!
  • chenrytc2
    Options
    In my opinion, this article is great for a beginner. A beginner is a person with very little to know knowledge of dieting concepts and exercise. It generalizes much of the information. Also, if you read points 4 and 5 at the bottom, they conflict with each other to a certain extent. Point 4 suggests no Protein only meals. Point 5 gives an equation to get a calorie deficit to lose weight and states getting between 1 and 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. In the example, a 200 pound female was used. The minimum max amount of calories needed would cause protein only meals. The minimum being 800 (almost half of daily calories allowed) and 1600 calories for the max of 2 grams.

Lots of generalized information in an overview. Glad to see it stirred up interest, however, continue to learn from accredited sources and have fun!

Thanks to the OP for posting this.
  • RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • alanrosez
    Options
    BUMP
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I agree with alot of people on here....this is a guide for people starting out. Alot of good points that should be followed..but quite a few that are "broscience" indeed. Eating such and such in the morning and not eating such and such at night is plain silly. Your body has no idea what time it is outside.

Anyways, some good points to follow, just make sure you also do your own research.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, thanks :)
  • spezzie
    spezzie Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Loved your article! Eye opener for me! :)
    Thank you!!!:flowerforyou:
  • blueeyedangelar
    blueeyedangelar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Great article!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am confused, when I first come here I have learned that meal timing and meal frequency are myths and it's all about calories in -calories out+If it fits in our macro, and now this....? What to believe now. :indifferent:

Well, when I read articles like this I like to consider a couple of things:
    1. Who is the author? I can't find anything by a 'Terry Christian' when I google the name in relation to health, diet, or fitness.
    2. Where was this article published? A reputable fitness magazine or website? A medical journal?
    3. Does the author provide footnotes, or reference studys to support his claims?

Like you and others have pointed out, several items from this article (i.e. meal timing & frequency), have been fairly thoroughly debunked. Not to say that there isn't valid information in the post, just that I'd be wary of believing everything as truth, particularly when it conflicts with other, better sourced information.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I agreed until I got here:

Eating fat early in the day isn't a good idea, either, just as eating carbohydrates at night isn't a good idea. Fats, or more specifically, Free Fatty Acids (FFA) in the blood can themselves have a relationship with less efficient carbohydrate metabolism.

As such, eating fats and carbohydrates together isn't the best idea. Having FFA in the bloodstream is like supplying bricks to a bricklayer, only in this case the FFA are the bricks and the bricklayer – insulin – is building a house of fat! High insulin levels, courtesy of rapidly digested carbohydrates, store FFA in the blood as fat whereas normally the body might utilize them as energy.

So why not ditch the fat and focus upon breakfast carbohydrates at a time when our hormonal makeup and our increased muscular activity will induce its uptake anyway? In short, eat carbohydrates in the morning, and fats later on in the day, but never together.

My normal morning breakfast consists of baked oatmeal with peanut butter and hemp protein powder. It's all three macros in one meal. Sometimes I have it for lunch too. I have found that since I started eating this every morning, I feel satiated through lunch and it fits my macros perfectly. It hasn't hindered my progress at all. I continue to lose inches every week.

So, at this point, I'm going to say, I don't believe this article. (unless I'm a special snowflake) It sounds WAY too much like the Atkins diet, claiming you can't eat carbs at the same time as protein. Total bunk!