My 30 day shred experience

Options
Hi All

I started using MyFitnessPal back in March 2012 and kept seeing references to Jillian Michaels, 30 day shred or Ripped in 30, the list goes on. I'd never heard of her, or her fitness programmes but I was intrigued, and in July 2012 I downloaded the 30 day Shred, filled with equal amounts of fear and excitement.

I took my measurements in inches, and my weight and then chickened out!

I waited a week and then another, and then finally in August, I re-took my measurements and weight and started my journey with Jillian.

It hurt to live!

I couldn't squat to go on the toilet. I couldn't swing my legs out of my bed. I could barely walk to work because even my toes hurt.

But in a strange way I loved that pain. I literally craved it, and everyday I couldn't wait to get home from work to do the 27 minutes of shredding all over again. (It says a 20 minute programme but according to my DVD player, from the start of the warm up to the end of cool down, it's 27 minutes total).

By day four the pain had gone and I was seeing a vast improvement in my capabilities. I started to realise this was only level one, and I had five days left to enjoy it before the torture of level two began.

Day ten came and went, and I took a rest day, and then on day eleven I started level two and I was terrified.

What level one did to my legs, level two surpassed by destroying my arms. I am not ashamed to admit I cried after I finished day twelve. Truthfully I finished, and I sat down and sobbed. I hated that I struggled and that I was so out of shape, but the entire reason for doing the shred was to make my life, my health and my state of mind better, so I carried on.

I can officially say I hate 'The plank' but with pride I can admit I have gone from shaking and struggling to holding the plank position for just 15 seconds, to now doing it for 1 minute. This has equally impressed my Pilates instructor who couldn't get me to do the plank position, fully, for over four months.

But I did struggle with level two and found my excitement waning. I started to think about stopping, or going back to level one, but I kept telling myself one little thing and it became my mantra:

Stand up and finished what you started.

And so by day 16, I found I was once again getting used to the exercises and was coping better, and becoming more capable.

It dawned on me level three was approaching, but I attacked it with vigour and I was happy to find I enjoyed it so much more than I did with level two.

And then it was all over.

I was so proud. I had surprised myself by starting and finishing it all. I surprised and impressed my family, who tried level one for 1 day and didn't do it again (giggles).

So, for any of you who are thinking of starting this programme, I say do it. I was going to post before and after photos but I didn't realise that it was breaking forum rules to post images in your underwear, and I wish I had taken photos in clothing so I could share the visuals. I'm afraid it's just my statistics for comparisons.

Starting weight before 30 day shred:
14 stone 8lb - 204lb - 93kilos

End weight after 30 day shred:
13 stone 11lb - 193lb - 87.5kilos

Total weight loss;
11lbs - 5kilos

Measurements before 30 day shred (inches)
Left arm - 14
Right arm - 14
Boobs - 43
Midriff (ribcage) - 40
Waist - 40
Hips and bum - 46
Left thigh - 25.5
Right thigh - 25

Measurements after 30 day shred: (inches)
Left arm - 13.5
Right arm - 13.5
Boobs - 41
Midriff (ribcage) - 38
Waist - 38
Hips and bum - 44
Left thigh - 24.5
Right thigh - 24

I can not only see a difference, I can feel it and it can be seen by others. I have more stamina and I am more flexible, and have even started running. I have become addicted to sweating and feeling out of breath and it's all thanks to Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.

I've just downloaded 'Ripped in 30' and I shall begin that one in the next few days.

So, if you've been considering this programme, or any other exercise programme I say no more procrastinating, get your comfortable clothes on, and do it. There are so many benefits - weight loss, inch loss, great development in your body, and an amazing feeling of pride and achievement. Those 30 days were worth it all, and I'm a little jealous I won't be a 30DS newbie ever again. But I will be a Ri30 newbie so watch this space *grins and winks*

Are you still reading? Go on, your health is waiting.. oh and just one more thing, once you've started make sure you finish - Stand up and finish what you started!

Good luck x

ClaireMarieBloom

Replies

• stacdjen
    stacdjen Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishments! So many reasons to be proud of yourself. I am currently doing 30DS and I just started level 2 last night. And I so shook my head in agreement about hating "planks." lol. Best of luck with your journey.
  • Slimwithin0408
    Slimwithin0408 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Crikey!! Superb losses weight wise and all over generally!! As a very lovely MFP pal I have seen how dedicated you have been and how hard you have worked and you deserve every bit! Well done lovely!!
  • sarah75x
    sarah75x Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You have done so amazingly well Claire, You deserve to see such fantastic results!
  • Kimjanebrooks
    Kimjanebrooks Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Big gulp.........I have just ordered 30 day shred 2 other of her DVD's. Feeling very nervous now! Lets hope I can be as determined and fab as you have been to finish it.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    congrats lady, you have done amazingly and got great results. Now go strut your funky stuff!
  • uprightashley
    uprightashley Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your results! I did 30 Day Shred and loved it for the same reasons as you. I'm currently on day five of Ripped in 30, and its a piece! WOW is all I can say. I think its much more challenging than 30 Day Shred. There are exercises on week one from RI30 that don't occur until Lv. 3 of 30DS! The first couple of days kicked my butt! But you can do it. All the best to you!
  • ClaireMarieBloom
    ClaireMarieBloom Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishments! So many reasons to be proud of yourself. I am currently doing 30DS and I just started level 2 last night. And I so shook my head in agreement about hating "planks." lol. Best of luck with your journey.

Thank you so much. Stick with Level two because level three is so much nicer LOL

Good luck to you too. I'd love to hear your comparisons with weight & inch loss when you've completed it. And that is 'when' not 'if' :)

Clairex
  • ClaireMarieBloom
    Options
    Crikey!! Superb losses weight wise and all over generally!! As a very lovely MFP pal I have seen how dedicated you have been and how hard you have worked and you deserve every bit! Well done lovely!!

Aww thanks, Becky :)

I can't wait to hear all about your 30DS shred experience :) xx
  • ClaireMarieBloom
    Options
    You have done so amazingly well Claire, You deserve to see such fantastic results!

Thanks Sarah x
  • ClaireMarieBloom
    Options
    Big gulp.........I have just ordered 30 day shred 2 other of her DVD's. Feeling very nervous now! Lets hope I can be as determined and fab as you have been to finish it.

You will finish it, Kim, and my fingers are crossed for you LOL

Good luck and let us know how you got on with it x
  • ClaireMarieBloom
    Options
    congrats lady, you have done amazingly and got great results. Now go strut your funky stuff!

Aww thanks Sazzy *mwah*

How many days have you got left on your 30DS?

x
  • ClaireMarieBloom
    Options
    Congratulations on your results! I did 30 Day Shred and loved it for the same reasons as you. I'm currently on day five of Ripped in 30, and its a piece! WOW is all I can say. I think its much more challenging than 30 Day Shred. There are exercises on week one from RI30 that don't occur until Lv. 3 of 30DS! The first couple of days kicked my butt! But you can do it. All the best to you!

Thank you so much. Now I'm nervous for Ripped LOL

Wish me luck ;)
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I just went out and bought 30DS,I am a little nervous because I am overweight,and I never think I can f/t with the daily routine.However,I have been hitting thr gym 5 days a week,so I have to believe I can do this. I like the idea of getting back up and finishing what you started. Everyone has been an inspiration,and I hope I know how to get back on and make my own post of my results.
    Thanks to all,good luck to everyone on their goals!!
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Am currently on day 7 level 1 of 30 day shred and noticing big differences in my body already. It is hard to do it, but you do really see the results. Three people this weekend commented on me losing weight whereas nobody has really noticed before. I think it's because my shape is changing and my stomach is shrinking!
  • DargoMack
    DargoMack Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Good info. My 30 Day Shred is scheduled to arrive this week. I'm pumped!
  • ClaireMarieBloom
    Options
    I just went out and bought 30DS,I am a little nervous because I am overweight,and I never think I can f/t with the daily routine.However,I have been hitting thr gym 5 days a week,so I have to believe I can do this. I like the idea of getting back up and finishing what you started. Everyone has been an inspiration,and I hope I know how to get back on and make my own post of my results.
    Thanks to all,good luck to everyone on their goals!!

You will both love it and hate it LOL But keep going because it really, really, really is worth it

I am no skinny binny, I swear to you, but I can now see some of my stomach muscles, in particular, by my ribcage. The flabby bit further down still needs work LOL

I hope you do come back and post your results. Good luck, you can do it :)

Claire x
  • ClaireMarieBloom
    Options
    Am currently on day 7 level 1 of 30 day shred and noticing big differences in my body already. It is hard to do it, but you do really see the results. Three people this weekend commented on me losing weight whereas nobody has really noticed before. I think it's because my shape is changing and my stomach is shrinking!

That is such a great feeling, when people can see the changes. Well done, and keep going. In a weird way, I became addicted to the pain and if the exercises weren't killing me, I was disappointed. LOL

X
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Excellent!! 30 Day Shred was my first foray into any real exercise in many many years. I could have written everything you did. Then I went on and did some of her other DVD's but then fell off the wagon for a few months. When I started back up, I went back to 30 DS to get myself back on the wagon again and I still occasionally do Level 3 here and there. But never Level 2. LOL!
  • Aehisme
    Aehisme Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Claire. You are a true inspiration!!