What inspires you to eat healthy and ignore the haters?

Options

Replies

• animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Usually when I'm out for a meal I just try not to go tooo unhealthy, if I was to order salad no dressing then I'd probably get ripped on by my friends (not out of hate, just some friends like to have a friendly tease if you're doing something like going to a restaurant and ordering tasteless crap, also it looks like you're making a point if you order salad no dressing so I would feel I deserved a good proverbial *kitten* kicking if I was "that" person and take it on the chin lol) so i'll prob just go for the inbetween option like grilled fish and chicken with veggies and rice or pasta in a tomatoe rather than cream based sauce then try to compensate with exercise another day if I've gone over.

However I have noticed this time (which is quite unfair) that I don't get ripped on too much as slimming down for a wedding does seem to be a socialy exceptable reason to lose weight if you're not already overweight, so it is kind of my get out of jail/awkward you don't need to diet conversation free card if I order a salad in front of anyone. :)
  • Brengild
    Options
    I never was obese but was overweight and ate very unhealthy. Heart disease and diabetes run in my family and my father died of complications from both at 60. So every time my doctor recommended a pill(High blood pressure, diaretics, cholesterol) I gladly took it! Finally, I decided enough was enough. Through healthy eating I have managed to ditch all those meds! I dont have grandchildren yet but I plan to be around for great grandchildren!
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying to an extent; if you don't enjoy eating out, you don't enjoy it. I think you can just say that without going into calories. I eat out a few times a week and I've really never had a hard time finding healthy options anywhere. I think that's probably why you are getting static. Your reluctance to eating out (thus socializing) because of calories probably reads as disordered thinking to a lot of people.

I am not saying you have an ED at all -- I am just saying there is no reason to skip going out to eat with friends and family simply because of calories. What restaurant doesn't have basic salad, fresh fruit, or grilled proteins?

ETA: I'd ask the people who want to go out to eat to do some kind of exercise next time they want to hang out and when they bulk, ask them what they have against being healthy.

I have way too much muscle and too high of a metabolism to eat just salad and fruit. I need protein at every meal to keep me fuller longer-I take in over 100 grams EVERY day. Also, You perhaps need to research the "grilled proteins" you are referring to. MANY restaurants inject salt into their proteins, or soak them in it beforehand, which is what happened to me twice this weekend when i ordered shrimp at Outback and a salad with chicken at another small restaurant. You can tell them all you want to put no sauce or butter on it, but the salt is already in the meat that they serve. It is not the same as something you buy at the store. I DO have my select few restaurants that i go to where i know i can order good food, but there are MANY restaurants that inject things into their meats and I can taste that difference.
  • Mendelianparakeets
    Options
    I'm doing this for me. Every time I tried to do it for somebody else, I only failed. Sure, I can use outside encouragement and attention as incentives, but in the end, only I can really decide what I do for myself.
  • ullgetthere
    Options
    It doesn't matter what people say, just ignore them. Do what you want and thats it. Just smile and say ``have a good lunch''.

Personally I am doing it to enjoy a better life. I want more energy to be able to live a fun life with my hubby and little dog. I want to feel sexier and happier which in turn will benefit my surroundings and daily life!
    I have realized in the past few weeks that it,s so important for me to stick with this plan so that I can feel better about myself!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Self-deprecation/laughter is the best defence. Keeps people onside, if you want them there.

No one wants to be preached at (which even gentle information-giving can feel like to some) & getting uppity about it just makes you more of a target, or at the very least, annoys people. Reasons: food binds people, 'dieting' is socially weird & cuts you out of bonding; people feel attacked by your success, and judged.

You could also just say "I prefer eating this way for taste, and it makes me feel better / more energetic all around". Or the easiest way to get people off your back is to say you've got allergies or some kind of digestive problem, they won't dare say anything then.

Am totally pro "path of least resistance".
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I didn't go out to any restaurants when I first started in January. Probably not until May. I was afraid. Finally, I gained the confidence, and went out with my hubby. I ordered a salad, grilled chicken, dressing on the side, and enjoyed it! Since then, we have gone on vacation (I lost 2 lbs), and to several BBQs, pot lucks, etc. I just ate the healthiest looking food, and a small amount. And a s'more! Still lost weight.

My friends and family are so happy for me, and if anybody dared to comment on my choices, I think I'd just look at them like, seriously? You don't get that I eat better and am losing weight because of it? Um, if I ate like you I'd be obese again! But, I haven't had that problem, and hope to handle it with class and wit if and when I do.
  • Cassie8877
    Options
    Proving to myself that i can do it! And looking damn sexy hehe.. and ignoring the haters gets easier.everyday because i know they dont have the will.power to do what i do.. but yet i still try to encourage them to improve themselves
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I want to live healthy and not have to visit a doctor every few weeks
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I have way too much muscle and too high of a metabolism to eat just salad and fruit. I need protein at every meal to keep me fuller longer-I take in over 100 grams EVERY day. Also, You perhaps need to research the "grilled proteins" you are referring to. MANY restaurants inject salt into their proteins, or soak them in it beforehand, which is what happened to me twice this weekend when i ordered shrimp at Outback and a salad with chicken at another small restaurant. You can tell them all you want to put no sauce or butter on it, but the salt is already in the meat that they serve. It is not the same as something you buy at the store. I DO have my select few restaurants that i go to where i know i can order good food, but there are MANY restaurants that inject things into their meats and I can taste that difference.

I have frequently made the same argument. I prefer my own cooking that way I know what is in it. I don't like to have to guess what kind of chemicals I am eating and I don't like paying for the privilege. I have no problem saying 'sorry but they don't serve anything I can eat'. Also, I don't hang around with people who would question my eating habits :P
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I get what you are saying to an extent; if you don't enjoy eating out, you don't enjoy it. I think you can just say that without going into calories. I eat out a few times a week and I've really never had a hard time finding healthy options anywhere. I think that's probably why you are getting static. Your reluctance to eating out (thus socializing) because of calories probably reads as disordered thinking to a lot of people.

I am not saying you have an ED at all -- I am just saying there is no reason to skip going out to eat with friends and family simply because of calories. What restaurant doesn't have basic salad, fresh fruit, or grilled proteins?

ETA: I'd ask the people who want to go out to eat to do some kind of exercise next time they want to hang out and when they bulk, ask them what they have against being healthy.

Um, is there a reason why would couldn't have a smaller, protein rich meal before you go, so something like a salad or fruit would be satisfying while you enjoy the company of people that presumably like you? I mean, really you're acting like if you go out for dinner you cannot eat at home and you MUST eat tainted meat because no other foods satisfy you. And that's absurd.

I don't really need to research anything -- sure restaurants do exactly what you say but you do realize most meat you buy in the grocery store has solutions injected into it, right? Maybe you have access to a farm to source protein -- which, I mean, great for you. But there is nothing unhealthy about eating grilled whatever from a restaurant every once and awhile -- but if you don't like how it tastes, that again is something else.

The reason you're getting haters is how you're presenting your ideas about food. You're defensive and acting like there is no middle ground between eating out or staying home to eat when there is. People probably view you as isolating yourself because of your ideas about food and concern for calories and sodium. You can call those people haters, but um, they probably just care about you.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I wont lie, I do go over calories, or eat out (I could family get togethers as eating out.) about once a week.

But most days, I say that I used to eat whatever I wanted every day of the week... and I felt like crap. Now I'm leading a healthy lifestyle. I am exercising, eating better, and making sure to get the right vitamins, and I FEEL AWESOME!

Usually when sweets come around... I have no problem... my diet plan does include a little chocolate. So I thank them for the offer, show my chocolate protein shake, and say I've already got my chocolate fix for the day.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Do you know why you brine things like chicken and pork chops or liberally season meats with salt? It's really basic cooking techniques and not some evil restaurant thing
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    "No thanks" (for the booze/takeout/piece of cake/whatever) should be good enough, and I usually follow it up with a "I've already said, no thanks". It's nobody's business why I don't want whatever is being offered. Also, it pisses people off when you don't tell them why (which I perversely enjoy) :P If they're gonna hate, they can pound sand.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have been morbidly obese and now that I'm getting closer to my goal weight my problem is the saboteurs. "come eat with us...It won't' kill you, live a little, just this once, etc. etc.. I usually respond by saying "You know that ski trip I took last winter? Paid for by all the money I saved not eating out." or sometimes if I'm feeling mean I just say "If I had stopped smoking or was an alcoholic would you still be trying to say the same thing? and just let them stew on it.
  • daughterofthesea
    daughterofthesea Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just think to myself "If you eat that think what it'll do to your arteries/heart/liver/teeth" etc. I'm quite healthy anyways but there we are haha
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have been morbidly obese and now that I'm getting closer to my goal weight my problem is the saboteurs. "come eat with us...It won't' kill you, live a little, just this once, etc. etc.. I usually respond by saying "You know that ski trip I took last winter? Paid for by all the money I saved not eating out." or sometimes if I'm feeling mean I just say "If I had stopped smoking or was an alcoholic would you still be trying to say the same thing? and just let them stew on it.

Def. sabotage, there is no way whatsoever someone can eat out at a restaurant and still lose weight, so their invites must be them trying to sabotage your weight loss efforts
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I went out Saturday for a special occasion, the main conversation seemed to be my weight loss as I have not been out with my friends for some time. They only ever socialize around drinking something I no longer do hence why I have not seen some close friends for nearly 12 months, they tend to spend every weekend in the pub.

What surprised them was that I ate the same as they did, the point is moderation.

Some of the comments:
    'You will get fat eating that'
    'I heard you had lost weight, but I didn't expect you would be wearing a tight top'
    'You are half the man you used to me'
    'You are wasting away'
    'Have you been sick'
    'Are you unwell'
    'are you still on the diet'
    'wholly ****'
    'you are all skin and bones'

……this went on for some time at first it was amusing even flattering but I actually lost my weight sometime ago and I am maintaining the loss with ease now, this is not a diet.

I simply replied 'I will run it off on my 10k run Monday morning'.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    My inspiration is that I feel completely amazing lately!
  • blueboxblues
    blueboxblues Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    "No thanks" (for the booze/takeout/piece of cake/whatever) should be good enough, and I usually follow it up with a "I've already said, no thanks". It's nobody's business why I don't want whatever is being offered. Also, it pisses people off when you don't tell them why (which I perversely enjoy) :P If they're gonna hate, they can pound sand.

Hahaha this. I don't bother telling anyone I'm watching what I eat because I'm slim and I've always gotten all kinds of comments about how I look, I should be eating more, blah blah blah. Not going into details makes them mad and it's funny.:devil: