How do I stop being so horrible with my water ?

Options
I'd fill up a glass, take a few big sips / mouth full and dump the rest down the drain :indifferent:

Replies

• waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    try a smaller glass
  • emarific
    emarific Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Get a cup with a straw. You will be amazed how much more you will drink.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'd fill up a glass, take a few big sips / mouth full and dump the rest down the drain :indifferent:

Filter your water with a brita filter or your preferred name brand and put it in a water bottle with a measuring stick on the side to see how much you drank. You will catch yourself pouring it when you have to unscrew the top.
  • germangirl2007
    germangirl2007 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this. I got one of the Venti sized insulated cold cups from Starbucks and end up drinking several cups per day.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I personally drink so much water that I found that drinking through a straw or a bottle that had an opening that I had to bite and sick through the attached straw actually caused me to end up with horrible pain in the muscles in my mouth/jaw and neck. lol

I just always keep a bottle of water with me. I have a 24oz bottle at work called the intak by Thermos that I love because it has a lid that pops off at the push of a button to drink, a wide enough mouth to chug if I want, a wide opening when the lid is unscrewed for easy filling or adding ice cubes and it has a dial on it that you can keep track of how many bottles worth you've had that day.

Then at home/out and about/at workouts, I carry a 23.7oz Arrowhead bottle that I have multiples of at my house and just keep cleaning and refilling (and replacing eventually) (and don't lecture me on BPAs).

But I just ALWAYS have water with me at all times. I find myself drinking when I'm bored and just drinking because it's there as much I drink because I actively want or need a drink of water. I kill about 18-21 cups of water on most days this way without even giving it a second thought.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    You could try crystal light or mio. Yeah, they contain artificial sweeteners, plain water is best, blah blah... But if you're truly having trouble drinking lots of water it is certainly better than drinking none at all! I did that, then gradually used less and less and finally got the hang of plain water. Fruit, cucumber, mint, lemons and limes also help. I fully agree with the straw cup also!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Straw. It helps me a LOT.
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Use a straw - weird, but I find I drink more with a straw.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

This is absolutely, unbelievably true.

And it may be a cheat, but I count Crystal Light and the like as water. I know, some will lecture about the artificial blah blah blah...and I know it, and don't care. I drink more water when it has some zero calorie flavor.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    You could try crystal light or mio. Yeah, they contain artificial sweeteners, plain water is best, blah blah... But if you're truly having trouble drinking lots of water it is certainly better than drinking none at all! I did that, then gradually used less and less and finally got the hang of plain water. Fruit, cucumber, mint, lemons and limes also help. I fully agree with the straw cup also!

LMAO I think we typed our responses at the same time :drinker:
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    Straw cups and Mio is my answer. Plus redo things so it's easiest to get water rather than something else.

I have a 32 oz reuseable cup with a straw, and when I'm surfing or writing, I tend to drink vast quantities of something... better it be water than anything else. Fortunately our tap water is good, so I just drink that.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Keep water - and nothing else - near you. I like ice chips in mine, when I can, for sipping during the day.
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    710ml gatorade bottle gets me going! even my 2 yr old has one now! i go through about 4-6 a day depending on how thirsty i actually am and how humid it is, or rather lack there of here! the sip spout is never closed unless i'm out, and having to open it means i chug it before dumping it. brita all the way and start the habit of making sure it moves rooms with you, if it's always by your hand it's more subconscious to drink it! good luck!
  • Cheryl1018
    Options
    I used to be soooo bad about drinking water. I got a thermal cup with a straw (one for work and one for home) and I put fresh lemon in the water. I found myself filling the cup up several times a day so I stopped adding the lemon. Now my body is so used to being hydrated that I can tell if I am not drinking enough.
  • heather_huggins
    heather_huggins Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    get a large water bottle with a straw. i have a 32 oz bottle with a straw and drink 3-4 of them a day. and i keep it with me. if i leave my house, go shopping, go to work, whatever. i have it with me. and i drink it constantly. it makes it so much easier for me. i've gotten in the habit of filling it up at night and sticking it in my fridge to have the next day.
  • tdrusk
    tdrusk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I cheat. I bought the 10 calorie peach tea powder packs that they sell at Kroger. They are meant for 12ish ounces. I mix it with 2 32 oz Nalgenes and drink it all day at work(desk job). I leave the lid off and sip it all day. I drink one bottle before lunch and one after.This gets my 8 cups of water with minimal calories. And it tastes really good!

Then I pee a lot. :P
  • heather_huggins
    heather_huggins Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I used to be soooo bad about drinking water. I got a thermal cup with a straw (one for work and one for home) and I put fresh lemon in the water. I found myself filling the cup up several times a day so I stopped adding the lemon. Now my body is so used to being hydrated that I can tell if I am not drinking enough.

i am the very exact same way. i never used to drink water, now if i have any less than 8 cups i can tell. i just don't feel right.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I use bottled water b/c my well water just tastes like metal. Also, once I read that water = energy and dehydration = lethargy, I was all about the water. And I really do feel better now that I'm drinking more! I time my water b/c I'm a school bus driver and if I don't I'm in BIG trouble but it's def worth the effort. Just keep at it!
  • MisterGoodBar
    MisterGoodBar Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    buy the cases of bottle water (usually 3 for $10) and each case has 24 bottles of 16.9oz.. Take one bottle in the morning and every time it empties, refill it.

drink one on your drive to work and as soon as you get into work refill and try to finish it before you have lunch, drink one after your lunch between that time and you get off, then refill it before you get in your car and drive home.

Boom! successful 8 glasses of water every day.

good luck.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this. I used to only drink crystal light only and now drink more plain water than anything. I also get a LARGE bottle of dasani and keep refilling it. It's got 4 servings of the 8. So I know if I drink at least that bottle then I'm half way there. I also take it everywhere I go. School, the car, errands. Everywhere!