Best piece of fitness/weight loss advice you have...

Options

Replies

• KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain it all in one week, so don't try to fool yourself into thinking that you can lose it all that fast.

and

Don't sweat what the scale says. There will be slight ups and downs.
  • bombecka19
    Options
    Get active! Funnily enough I was discussing this with my boyfriend this morning, I've found when I'm not doing any exercise I crave bad food even more. Now I'm back to exercising regularly again a greasy Sausage & Egg McMuffin for breakfast no longer sounds so appealing...!

Not sure if it's just subconcious or whether my body is truly is yelling "after all this effort don't you dare put any rubbish inside me" :laugh:
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    Options
    It's all centered around what goes in your mouth. It's very similar to quitting smoking. It's never going to work until you set your mind to it. If you go in half assed, you won't make it. You have to dedicate yourself to change and stick with it.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    First and foremost: Give a Damn!

About yourself, your health, those that care about you, your long term goals and dreams. Don't quit yourself and those that care about you.

That is all far more important than the passing satisfaction of eating whatever food craving that will push you over to giving up.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Do only that which you can imagine doing for life.
    Don't start out on a crazy, 2 hours + per day workout regime, if you know you wont be able to sustain it...and realistically, not many can. Don't cut out foods, if you know you will end up eating them again eventually. It is much better to find a way to integrate your less healthy favourites, whether that be a little each day, a little a few times a week, or a nice meal of your choosing once or twice a week, or heck, just having a day once a week where you eat what you have been craving the other 6 days, within reason. You have to find what will suit you for life, not what is the latest, hottest fad, or what worked for others. Don't start anything you can't finish.
  • Glassblaster
    Options
    the future depends on what you do in the present
  • sonjarogers72
    sonjarogers72 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Believe in youself first....If you don't, be prepared to see the faces of those who said you couldnt!
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Fat2Fit4Life Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    First and foremost: Give a Damn!

About yourself, your health, those that care about you, your long term goals and dreams. Don't quit yourself and those that care about you.

That is all far more important than the passing satisfaction of eating whatever food craving that will push you over to giving up.

I AIN'T QUITTIN' YOU! :happy:
  • relucas81
    Options
    When I was finally told that all that mattered was calories in and calories out
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal body weight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

The only way to know for sure if this is the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating a set amount, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs was just a bit off.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Pick something that works for you and stick to it.
    For ever.

I'd suggest the opposite - be flexible. This isn't to say you should give up on healthy ways before they've had a chance to work; rather, check in with your body, see what works (however you define working), and adapt as necessary.

Also,
    Give a Damn!

Love this ...You should care about and for yourself :)
  • Cathcandoo
    Cathcandoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You reap what you sow - you get out of your journey to good health what you put into it....you fill your vehicle with lemonade - it isn't going to perform very well - put the premium stuff in it - you are going to cruise baby! Put into your program thinking about the results you want to see - it will happen :)
  • LisaMarie_13
    Options
    If you look as "pretty" as you did before you worked out after you finish, you're not working hard enough.

Love this quote Joanna!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I have several that I learned the hard way:

1. Patience. Remember that even though your coworker/girlfriend/buddy/mom/etc. is dropping weight faster than you on that crazy cabbage soup/HCG/ex-lax diet, you'll get there and more than likely stay there while they most likely won't. Don't be jealous. Focus on you. Remember the tortoise and the hare story? Yeah, it's kinda like that.
    2. Compete with no one but yourself. Every person's goals, starting points, and lifestyle is different.
    3. Enjoy yourself. Don't starve yourself. Eat well, move a lot, and have fun with this!
    4. Don't eat food you really hate or think you have to do a workout that you hate. There are lots of alternative foods that taste better and other forms of exercise that are more fun.
    5. Remember, in the end, it's about living better. Don't forget that.
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    Instead of setting one big goal like "I'm going to lose 45 pounds" set a million tiny goals like "I'm going to lose a pound this week" or "I'm going to be under my calorie goal today" or "I'm going to work out for two hours today."

You'll feel like you are accomplishing something instead of just thinking about how far away from your big goal you are. And as these little things keep adding up, you'll watch your big goal get closer and closer.
  • cmacohio1975
    cmacohio1975 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    take measurements of your body and don't rely on the scale alone! especially before starting a new cardio / weight routine :) muscle really does weigh more than fat and your muscles retain the water as they repair themselves. :)
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue tht counts"

You will never truly succeed until the end. Just because you have succeeded at the immediate goal doesn't mean you journey is over. Just because you "fail" doesnt make you a failure. Pick yourself up, learn from your mistakes, and in all things find the courage from within to continue on and achieve you goals. Make it count.
  • SavingFaith65
    SavingFaith65 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    "What you eat in private you wear in public"
  • mmkinch1
    Options
    I didn't tell anyone I was trying to change my eating habits, I didn't want anyone to try and tell me what I should do. I knew if I really wanted to succeed I had to find my own way. For the first month I didn't do anything but decide what I was willing to give up as far as food, what type of activity I was willing to add, and what healthier food options I could use as swap outs. I also promised myself that I would never say, "I am not going to put the weight back on this time." I always say that and it always comes back on. So now I tell myself if I start to gain back the weight its ok, I'll just get back on the right path as soon as my head is back in it. Also I still haven't added working out, I am not very good at being able to do more than one thing at a time. Once I stop loosing the weight with just diet then I plan to slowly add a work out plan (I move around alot at work, not a sit down job). Last but not least I log my food everyday. Since I have started I was unable to log during a huricanne for a few days but kept a written log of everything I ate. After we got internet back I logged the food. I always try to plan what I am going to eat the day before so if I want taco bell I can eat lower calorie healthier options through out the day so I can still stay under calories. I try not to have what most people call cheat days, I do eat McDonalds and go out to eat, I just try to base my calories around that meal. I try to limit the days I go over my calorie intake to once a month and when I do, its usually not by much. FYI if you have a absolute fav that you have to have see if you can find a go lower calorie option. For example I love ice cream, weight watchers has several low calorie ice cream options and walmart has a 100 calorie ice cream bar. I also incorporated non food rewards, every two weeks if I have done well I go and get my nails done, a pedicure and my eyebrows waxed. I set my first three goals at every twenty five pounds, now that I am in the final stretch my goals are now every five pounds because I know those are going to be harder. I treat myself to a nice new outfit or a few new nice shirts (not tee shirts). I never reward myself with food.
  • lmkotch
    lmkotch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    In my view, the Top 4 are as follows:

1. Fit as many of your favorite foods as possible into your daily macros.
    2. Construct an exercise routine that you love and try to include some form of strength training and cardio in it.
    3. Food and exercise are dose dependent, like medicine: if you get too little of each, it won't work; if you get too much of each, you'll have bad side effects. Find the right dose.
    4. Protein, protein, protein.

I completely agree with all of these tips. This is exactly what I've been doing the past couple of months and have yet to "fall off the wagon" because, simply, that wagon doesn't exist any more. Binges don't come because I literally have a bit of ice cream every day and exercise isn't a problem because I only make myself stay long enough to do 20 min of cardio and strength training.