Weigh ins, how often should they happen?

Options

Replies

• sla1252012
    sla1252012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning when I wake up (naked and after I pee) sorry for the TMI. I don't weigh any other time of the day because of water and food fluctuations. I weigh myself every day because if any damage is done, I want to be able to undue it as quick as possible.

This, but I only record it once a week.
  • caranda8
    Options
    Once a week, in the morning!
  • tjakatjs
    Options
    I tend to weigh every day but only record it once a week. That way I get to see real change over time and don't get stuck on the "You again?" feeling I get when i see the same weight every day for several days.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I normally weigh monthly but I'm changing some things up due so I'm going weekly to more closely monitor the effect of the changes.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot about how your body weight fluctuates a lot day to day given lots of different circumstances, and I know I don't want to weigh every day. Right now I have weigh ins set up for every other week but I get anxious about six days in. Would it be realistic to weigh in every week or will I get a better picture of my progress if I do my weight and measurments every other week?

I am currently only weighing-in once every three weeks, then taking measurements once a week. I don't really care much about what I weigh. I am more concerned with how I feel and how I look. I am especially interested in wearing my old clothes, so my measurements tell me how close I am to changing clothing sizes.
  • DeathKitty23
    DeathKitty23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    In my opinion daily is just ridiculous - and the start of obsession(speaking from first hand experience)
    If your working out and dieting properly i would say at the most once per week, but every other week if you can wait that long would give you a greater reward and a better idea of where you are
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Once a month. Weigh somewhere else, throw out the scale.
    You'll be amazed how liberating that is ;-)

^^THIS I am doing too! The scale I use is the pay-a-quarter scale by the checkout counter at Kmart.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Personally, I will be weighing in once a week, Monday Morning before work. This way I'm sure that after seven days, I've done all my excercising for the week and I'll have eaten nothing for that day yet and if I've done good...I'll be starting my week out on a high note!

I don't think I could handle weekly since sometimes your food the night before may have been heavier or some such. Once a week should be plenty and any more than that and you could start becoming obsessed with the numbers
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips, everybody! I think for now I'm going to stick with weighing bi-weekly (it's always going to be a Friday at the gym after work, though) and I'll see how it goes. I'm early enough in and have so much to lose still that I think I can afford it. I'll adjust as necessary depending on my results haha! I have been taking pictures weekly though. And as soon as I find that stupid soft tape measure I'll do measurments.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    i weigh once a week, first thing Friday morning every week...

but i only measure once a month...
  • ntarrence
    ntarrence Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    every morning...helps me be accountable
  • KimMaplesBaker
    Options
    I weigh in first thing of a morning, wear the same thing, or close to it......and every other or every two days....can't seem to wait longer than that 3 day mark
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Please do what ever floats your boat:)
    ^This. Obviously some of us don't like weighing daily (because it "makes us crazy" or "obsessed with the numbers") but others like it to help them stay on track. No way is the ONE TRUE WAY. It's what works for you.
  • verodzrosas
    verodzrosas Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    once a week, in the morning, after going to the bathroom, before breakfast. Do not obsess over one or two pounds...
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and write it down but only do the "official" weigh-in weekly. The daily helps me see the overall trend that might not be obvious on the weekly (especially if one week it's the wrong TOM or I'm retaining water for some other reason).
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Once a week works for me, not sure I could cope with the daily fluctuations
  • booitsk8
    booitsk8 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    hiya, i weigh myself every mon, wed and fri before i go swimming because my scales are rubbish and the onse at the leisure centre are ace. if i had them a home, id weigh every day just to keep an eye on things. just do whats best for you. theres no point stressing if you dont need to :)
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and write it down but only do the "official" weigh-in weekly. The daily helps me see the overall trend that might not be obvious on the weekly (especially if one week it's the wrong TOM or I'm retaining water for some other reason).
    While I officially weigh myself once a week, I hop on the scale almost every day now that things have gone well.

I don't want to be a slave to the scale. How I look and feel, neck and waist measurements and the four medical levels (BP, Blood Sugar, Triglycerides and cholesterol) matter a whole bunch more to me.
  • rooosje
    Options
    I used to weigh myself everyday after waking up, but the changes on the scale made me go crazy so I changed it to weighing myself every Sunday morning only. So once a week.
  • WxMstr
    WxMstr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I weigh in a few times in the week, but I record my weight every Thursday. Pretty much a linear slope of about 3lbs/wk. :bigsmile: