WINE!!!!

Options

Replies

• HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    My suggestion; go to some wine tastings that is the only way you will find what you like without spending a lot on bottles you won't drink. Try reds and whites.

My husband and I both prefer whites and we started off preferring sweeter wines, but now enjoy a dryer wine and some reds. We've been doing a lot of wine tastings in the last 10 years which has helped us with different wines.

One of our favorites is (any brand) -- New Zealand Marlbrough Sauvignon Blanc (Kim Crawford has a great one, but any New Zealand Marlbrough is really good)

We also have a great Biltmore Pino Grigio right now that is wonderful.

Moscato is a very sweet wine....so you might like Rieslings; German Rieslings are very, very good. Eifel Pfeiffer has some great wines.

If you're not sure about reds...you can always try a Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot may be too strong. If it says strong tanins in it..you may not like it.

I have the most wonderful red; great for Fall & Winter; it's a Chocolate Raspberry and it really warms you up. My husband doesn't like it and thinks its too sweet. I think its perfect for a cool night out by the fire.
  • BetsyKraft
    Options
    I am more of a sweet wine drinker, so I tend to lean towards Moscato, Reisling, etc... I also really like Gewurztraminer too! However, the basic rule of thumb is: white wines (pinot grigio, reisling, chardonnay, sauvignon blanc) with poultry and red wines (merlot, cabernet sauvignon, red zinfadel, syrah) with meats. Hope this helps!
    Also--if you are from Wisconsin, there is a winery called Parallel 44 in Kewaunee that has the most amazing wines!!! I used to only drink sweeter wines and now I am addicted to their drier red wines too!
    Good Luck! :o)
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I like barefoot reisling and moscato.......reisling isn't as sweet, but they don't always have it at our corner market, but they always have moscato!
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Also - PORT! OMFG give me the port!!!

I've no idea how you learn more. I was lucky as my parents always had wine in and every weekend would be something new and exciting to try. I did go to champagne tasting for a hen do though. Discovered I smell in depths and thus am totally useless when it comes to anyone understanding my wine-tasting comments.
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yellow Tail is a good reasonably priced brand. I typically drink reds, but not Merlot. The tannin in the red wine is what usually gives people a headache (and over consumption!). I like both Pinot's (grigio and noir). Another favorite is Redwood Creek. It's a Californian wine. I tend to stay away from Mondavi and Gallo. Another good one is Concha y Toro (Chilean) Sunrise and Frontera. My favorite red is Pinot Noir. Sometimes I'll drink Yellow Tail Moscato (bubbly white) or Riesling.

The best thing for you is to try different ones and see what you like. Make sure you keep track of what you like and don't like. Try to stay with the reds if possible since there is some evidence that they are better for you. Also there is more alcohol content in red so you don't have to drink as much.

Enjoy!
  • fattarzan
    Options
    Try Dissrono, though they have different flavors... not sure if it's wine or brandy but good.
  • MrsNina1972
    MrsNina1972 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Love Yellow Tail Chardonnay! Would love to start tasting red wine not to bitter and not to sweet, only because red wine has less calories than white wine (I think) :)
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Some cheaper brands that I like: Barefoot, Lindemans, Jacob's Creek. I drink Chardonnay and Cab Sav mostly, but Pinot Noir and Shiraz are in there too, with the occasional Merlot. These three are at the lower end of the price scale, without being the absolute cheapest nastiest stuff.

I have heard that Cupcake is a pretty good brand for moscato and sweeter whites.

I am just thrilled that it is almost Mulled Wine season - I buy a huge jug of Burgundy, put sugar, and some water in a pan to dissolve, add lemon slices, cinnamon sticks and cloves, simmer for a while, then add the wine, heat slowly (NEVER boil) and drink. YUM. Careful though, because you like it hot, you drink it faster before it'll cool and you get drunk faster.
  • crabbyab90
    crabbyab90 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's near you hit them up! They have a great selection of wine and beer.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's near you hit them up! They have a great selection of wine and beer.

I hear good things about 2-Buck Chuck...but our Trader Joe's does not carry wine/alcohol...stupid liquor laws in MD.
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I am a chardonnay and pinot grigio type of girl
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Favourite: Whatever is on a good deal in my local supermarket :laugh: around £5 or under :blushing:

Although Chardonnay & Pinot Grigio is one of my favourites in white.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I like White Zinfandel that is all I drink... the other wine is too bitter and gross.
  • yoga_mel
    yoga_mel Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My suggestion; go to some wine tastings that is the only way you will find what you like without spending a lot on bottles you won't drink. Try reds and whites.

My husband and I both prefer whites and we started off preferring sweeter wines, but now enjoy a dryer wine and some reds. We've been doing a lot of wine tastings in the last 10 years which has helped us with different wines.

One of our favorites is (any brand) -- New Zealand Marlbrough Sauvignon Blanc (Kim Crawford has a great one, but any New Zealand Marlbrough is really good)

We also have a great Biltmore Pino Grigio right now that is wonderful.

Moscato is a very sweet wine....so you might like Rieslings; German Rieslings are very, very good. Eifel Pfeiffer has some great wines.

If you're not sure about reds...you can always try a Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot may be too strong. If it says strong tanins in it..you may not like it.

I have the most wonderful red; great for Fall & Winter; it's a Chocolate Raspberry and it really warms you up. My husband doesn't like it and thinks its too sweet. I think its perfect for a cool night out by the fire.

mmmm what is the chocolate raspberry?? Sounds like one i would love :)
  • phoenix_59
    phoenix_59 Posts: 1,123
    Options
    check out The Wine Spectator website...they usually have a guide to finding wine values, they get good ratings 85-95 and are very reasonably priced....this way you can experiment and find what you truly enjoy without spending too much.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no need to drink cheap, mass-produced, industrial wine. There are some superb wines coming out of Spain these days, esp the Grenache/Syrah blends, for under $10. Also some great Italian wines as well. These are full and smooth with good fruit and will go well with a lot of different foods.

For a few more $$, you can also find some excellent wines coming out of southern France, particularly the Gigondas region. These are also blends of Syrah and Grenache--some are pushing 92-94 pts from Robt Parker for less than $25.

Other great wines are coming from California's central coast--again these feature excellent quality but have yet to hit the stratospheric prices of the Napa Valley wines.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I love Barefoot Moscato.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Washington State wines - As good or Better than Napa - Half (or less) the cost.

:)

Trust me.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Sutter Home Moscato is much better than Barefoot. By far!!

Love Moscato and Pinot Grigio. I am not a fan of Reds, but can tolerate a good Pinot Noir!!

Emerald Coast Wines - delicious!! We bought 6 bottles last time we were up in the Panhandle! Also love Oregon wines!!
  • hiddensmiles21
    Options
    :drinker: I would say if you are new to wine drinking, go to a local winery and do a tasting, its usually inexpensive and you can try a variety. I usually go for dry wines [red or white], but I think that Moscato and Zin are good starter wines since thet are so sweet. Just try a different type every time you buy a bottle, you'll soon figure out what your personal favorites are!