WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON ZUMBA??

Options

Replies

• phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    Also want to add that, while I am not going to win a competition anytime soon, my coordination and multi-tasking skills have greatly improved since I've started Zumba. It's a workout for the mind AND body!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Love Zumba.. Great workout.. typically get 500+ calorie burn in just under an hour.. many times 600 to 700.

How are you tracking your burns? Do you do Zumba with weights? The reason I ask is because I've asked several instructors at my gym what they burn and they are in the 400-500 range for an hour with weights.

I'm a little "hyper" in Zumba and according to my HRM I burn between 700-800 cals/hr each class.

What's your heart rate at? Gotta nearing your max HR I'm assuming. I burn 800-900 kcal/hour doing insanity with my HR averaging at around 90% of my max HR. My co-workers (the zumba instructors) use Dotfit Exerspy and they only manage 500 kcal burns with weights.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    you can make your own Zumba home "class" by finding videos posted on youtube.. there's tons of them!

The channel "harperjillian" has a lot of good ones. Jill's a local zumba instructor and a lot of the local zumba instructors use her routines. I can do a whole zumba class at home with YouTube on the XBox, except I don't get the burn I'd get in class. My living room is too small and carpet makes some of the moves difficult.
  • maenightowl
    Options
    WOW EVERYONE:laugh: ! Thanks I'm proud to say that my DVD arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon! I'm starting it tomorrow morning.
    Fitness Concert ! With my sisters and mom! lol If we like it we'll go to a class wish me luck!

~ Thanks again to EVERYONE for giving their feedback lol

Mae♥:wink:
  • maenightowl
    Options
    WOW EVERYONE ! Thanks I'm proud to say that my DVD arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon! I'm starting it tomorrow morning.
    Fitness Concert ! With my sisters and mom! lol If we like it we'll go to a class wish me luck!

~ Thanks again to EVERYONE for giving their feedback lol

Mae♥
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Zumba! It has changed my whole way of thinking about exercise! I hated to exercise before, but now I love it and look forward to it. I go to a Zumba class 4 days a week and do 2 days of lifting in the weight room where I work. Zumba is something different all the time so you don't get bored with it (or at least I don't). I bought a heart rate monitor to determine as accurately as possibly how many calories I burn in a 45 min. Zumba class and it's always right around 550 (I'm 5'-8" and 169 pounds). A good friend of mine goes with me and she weighs about 10 more pounds than me and burns much more!
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA! it is my primary exercise lol. I do an hour everyday (except Mondays and Fridays since I go to the gym then) . I do it on the Xbox Kinect, Zumba Fitness Rush :) Fun fun fun!
  • vickyfw326
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE zumba! It's the best thing ever! so much fun, and you'll sweat ur @ss off!
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    LOVE IT!! However I only like it at a class....the energy of the room keeps you going and if your at home you can get bored...

AGREED!! I havent dont a DVD or XBox or Wii but, I have taken a class. It is a BLAST!!! My instructor is fun, full of energy, and keeps you moving!! I am actually starting back up in my class tonight and incorporating it into my Turbo Jam schedule so i can still do it.
  • emmagallo
    Options
    Where do I begin?! lol I LOVE Zumba I started with the DVD's then built up the confidence to hit up the classes at my local gym then started doing zumbathons a couple times a month. I'm a zumba freak. I love to dance so this was perfect for me. I look forward to Tuesdays and Thursdays which are my zumba days. The calorie burn for everyone is different. It depends on the effort you put into each session. Some of the ladies in class half-*kitten* and some go all out. I even have my 12 year old daughter go to class with me. She loves it. Its a good time.
  • ademiter
    Options
    OH and I actually downloaded a lot of the songs that we use in Zumba so that once I learned the dances, I can do them at home! My 6 year old daughter and I sometimes have our OWN Zumba classes at home! :)
  • ballerina454
    ballerina454 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Zumba! It has transformed my body in so many ways! I love the way it has sculpted my muscles and waist. I do not do the DVD's though, I go to my local gym and I do zumba about 6 days a week. I feel to get the true experience you need to be in a class with others, feeling the energy, and enjoying the cranked up music =)
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba because it's something different to do and I love the music and the movements. My waistline has definitely seen a change from all the Belly Dance songs we do. I wear a HRM during mine, so I know how hard I've worked at the end!
  • ademiter
    Options
    Where do I begin?! lol I LOVE Zumba I started with the DVD's then built up the confidence to hit up the classes at my local gym then started doing zumbathons a couple times a month. I'm a zumba freak. I love to dance so this was perfect for me. I look forward to Tuesdays and Thursdays which are my zumba days. The calorie burn for everyone is different. It depends on the effort you put into each session. Some of the ladies in class half-*kitten* and some go all out. I even have my 12 year old daughter go to class with me. She loves it. Its a good time.

Absolutely! There are many there who totally waste their money by not putting a whole lot into it. I am not one of the halfa**ers, so I do put all I've got into my workouts. At one point I my heart rate got up to 175 and I thought I was going to die! lol But then the song's over and it comes down! LOVE ME SOME ZUMBA!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Meh. I've tried it, and I think it's a waste of my time. I'd prefer to do something more hardcore, like p90x or Insanity.

Edited to add: For just the dance value, I think it's pretty fun. But when I work out, I'm not looking for "fun". I want my @ss kicked. :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I think zombies are scary
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have added Zumba once or twice a week, and it depends A LOT on the instructor. I have been to instructors who barely work up a sweat for me, and some who have burned 800-1000 calories for me (by HRM) during the workout, and left my abs, legs, and butt with a solid ache for a few days.
  • jessicataylor2
    Options
    My mom is a Zumba instructor and has her own studio for it. I absolutely love it. So many people taking her class have lost an enormous amount of weight doing it. But that being said, you have to make sure you're doing everything as full out as you can. There's always a few people who barely move while others are busting their *kitten*. If you don't go hard, it's not really going to do much. But it's a really good, fun way to get your cardio.
  • emmagallo
    Options
    OH and I actually downloaded a lot of the songs that we use in Zumba so that once I learned the dances, I can do them at home! My 6 year old daughter and I sometimes have our OWN Zumba classes at home! :)

I've also downloaded a lot of the songs we dance to in zumba. lol! I love it! My daughter knew the dance moves before she even started going to zumba with me.! It truly is a great workout!
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a fun cardio workout IF you have a good instructor who also pushes you. It's loads of fun and the time flies. However the DVD is not the same as a real instructor and it's only good for cardio. You must incorporate other ST routines. You will NOT get their bodies on the DVD from zumba alone.