Epidural Cortisone Injection Anybody had one?

Options
2»

Replies

• TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Never had one in my back. Had one in my hip. Thought I might die. Had to be done in a hospital on live xray.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My husband had 2 done and was supposed to get more but he didn't need anymore. His last injection was about 8 years ago and he's still going strong. I need to get it done because I have herniated discs but am waiting till I'm on school break. Can't wait till I get mine! This back pain is enough to ruin your day or even week!
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have NOT had back pain, but severe foot pain. I am getting treated by a sports chiropractor and she says she refuses to give her patients cortizone injections (ANYWHERE, back included) as they are bad for you and have serious side effects apparently. She claims that pretty much ANY pain can be cured with accupuncture, chiropractics and physical therapy. I have to agree...my foot is doing great. Medical doctors only look at the medical realm when basic physical adjustments could be the cure. Obviously, I do not know your problems and what you have tried, so this is just another avenue to investigate if it can be an option! Best of luck!
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've had eight of them. I hate needles but it really wasn't too bad. My biggest mistake was having it done in the morning and going to work from there. Take it easy afterwards.
  • mcpjan
    mcpjan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have had them done more than 4 times. I have had great results from mine. I have disc issues in both my cervical and thoracic spine. I will say the first time I was very nervous and the relief was not so much but each time I get them it seems to work better. I have a great doctor and he makes it so simple I am usually in and out in no time. For me they work wonders.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Lots of good responses, thanks everyone. Definetly going to try the injection route first. Not a fan of any surgery. I rolled a snowmobile 3 years ago, blew out my c6/c7 and doc wanted to do a fusion. I sucked it up and got through it for a year and have had no lasting effects. Praise God!!!
  • Ms_Steel
    Options
    I had one about 6 years ago...it was very painful, but it did help.

I suggest you get a book called Pain Free by Pete Egoscue.
    Changed my life... best 10 dollars I ever spent.

He has a series of poses designed to relieve pain for whatever area is the problem.
    I thought it was bull, but my mother bought it for me and stuck in front of my face. LOL

I read the intro and the chapter for the lower back and said meh what the hell...might as well try.
    The pain was less immediately after i completed the series of poses, it was shocking.

I did them every day...along with yoga a few times a week while i recovered.

I just aggravated my back 8 weeks ago, and went right back to the book (and the DR)
    things are going well.

good luck

:flowerforyou:
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

He has a series of poses designed to relieve pain for whatever area is the problem.
    I thought it was bull, but my mother bought it for me and stuck in front of my face. LOL

I read the intro and the chapter for the lower back and said meh what the hell...might as well try.
    The pain was less immediately after i completed the series of poses, it was shocking.

I just aggravated my back 8 weeks ago, and went right back to the book (and the DR)
    things are going well.

good luck

Interesting.. will look into it. Posing and yoga at 300 lbs is challangeing of course but worth a shot.
  • Ms_Steel
    Options

things are going well.

good luck

Interesting.. will look into it. Posing and yoga at 300 lbs is challangeing of course but worth a shot.

LOL you dont have to do yoga, but do get the book.

the exercises/poses he has you do are physical therapy, so you should be fine.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have issues in my cervical and thoracic, I have had injections in both....it definitely helped the first time, then it helped less and less. I finally had the surgery (acdf) on my neck about 17 months ago. It helped more in the long run for me.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    My mom had one done on her knee a few weeks ago. She's only in her mid-50's and was already having to use a cane and consider a knee replacement because the pain was so bad. She thinks the shot has made some difference. We went shopping yesterday and spent hours walking around and she didn't even have to use the motorized cart at Target :) And no, she is not majorly overweight either. Just has bad knees (which I'm pretty sure I inherited, oh joy).
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I had ONE cortisone injection in my neck due to whiplash from a car wreck. I NEVER went back.
  • bcmlam1001
    bcmlam1001 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have scheduled them 3 times and chickened out everytime. =( I am scared to death of them. My mom has had about 4 or 5 and loved them but her back is to the point now she needs surgery. I had a bad accident 2 years ago messed up 2 disk in my neck and 3 in my lower back and broke my leg. I have had 3 surgeries on my knee and as of right now need my pcl fixed. I am scared of the thought of a long needle not to mention the it will be directly into my spine. They were going to start with my neck which was just the trigger point cortisone then 2 weeks later they were going to do the ESI in my lower back, I live in chronic everyday pain and it is frustrating and people tell me I would feel a total difference if I would do it. My mom was sedated with hers and she said she barely remembers having hers done she was so out of it. I have never heard anything really bad about them other than sometimes they don't work. I hope yours goes great!
  • rhondaoberling
    Options
    They really arent too bad, but I never had much luck with them. It was for L3-4-5 and SI joint. I think the best treatment I have recieved for my back pain is called Radioligraphy. I have had awesome results from that!!! I had that done 6 months ago. :)