Is taking a before photo really that necessary ?

Options

Replies

• snipalicous
    Options
    The nice thing about keeping a before picture (or even early in the process) is that it is good for comparison. We don't often see the changes as we're going through the process. I don't see myself as looking a whole lot different than I did at the start. But when we see the pictures of then and now side-by-side, we can see that there has been definite progress made. It's good for the days when motivation is lacking or we wonder why we are doing this.

well said
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    OHHHH my gosh..I am kicking myself in the tooshie for not taking..err..I should say DELETING every pic I had of me:sad: :sad: .. I had to ask friends..etc..if they had any....!!

Just do it...and keep them hidden..no one has to view them but you...but when you want to see a results? People can tell you over and over again its working..but when you do a side by side with an old picture of yourself? Boom! Nothing like it!!!:heart:
  • lmdee73
    Options
    I would.....and did. I have a friend who is having a difficult time remembering her "before" after losing 70ish pounds. She didn't take before pics and in the long run, I think it's a great tool and you can look back and say "look how far i've come" instead of "look how far I still have to go."
  • lauragoat
    lauragoat Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Totally take a picture now... at all angles.... Even take a picture of your toes... you wouldn't believe the difference once you start dropping pounds!
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Yes. You will regret not doing it.

YES AND DOUBLE YES
  • k8bwalsh
    Options
    While I have "only" lost 12 lbs. since starting MFP, I have lost 90 lbs all together over the past 2 years. I wish I had taken a before picture. There are a couple out there of me at my largest, but I wish I had specifically posed for one by myself. Absolutely take one now. Put it somewhere only you know where. I did, however, keep one pair of size 26 pants ~ as of right now I am down from size 26 to size 18. When I get to my goal, I do plan on taking a picture of me in those pants :)
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    It really helped me when I felt like the goal was soo far away but id look at my before pic (and yes take urs now) n think ok yes 30 lbs later I can def see a diff ect and id keep pushing. It was inspiring to me to look back and still is!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of deleting old photos with the "that was the old me" mind set. But do I really need a before photo ? Even if I lost 3 lbs on here, can I take one now as my before ? Or will it not count ?

No, it's not NECESSARY, but it is extremely helpful when the scale is not moving. Sometimes when you compare a before and after photo, you can see a HUGE difference that is not reflected in the number on the scale. As far as WHEN to take the photo, there's no such thing as "too late". If you're still trying to make progress, definitely take a before photo. It will still be helpful from this point on.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wish I had more photos. I didn't take true "before" pictures, so it's just photos that survived deletion or wound up on Facebook. I took some at 15 pounds lost, and quite a bit more at 20 pounds down, and loads SINCE then. I think it's the greatest way to track progress. The scale bounces around like Tigger sometimes. It's hard to see changes in the mirror because it's like watching grass grow. And I have a rough time with the measuring tape, too, because my body shape has changes so much. Am I measuring in the same spot? Did I pull the tape a little tighter this time or last time? Am I 1/16th of an inch smaller? And there's been times when my waist and hips stayed pretty much the same, but the space between the two flattened out.

So... yeah. Big fan of the photo here. Take them now. Don't delete them. You never have to show them to anyone, but you'll be glad you have them.
  • julieo81
    julieo81 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Wow, I never really thought about it the way all of you have put it. I am now going to search for any pics I may have... I might have one from a body wrap i did before I started this journey, and then Im going to go up stairs and strut my stuff for my first progress photo. I think every 20ish pounds will be good for me. woo hoo can't wait :)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I made a blog post not long ago about this very thing... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Mama2SethandOlivia/view/why-you-should-take-progress-photo-s-412845

It isn't necessary no, but I do believe it helps keep one going. If you have a lot to lose then you may end up like me where you just do not see the progress in the mirror but a photo will show it. I believe they are important but not necessary.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    One of things that kicked my a** into gear was seeing an old picture of me when I was smaller. I couldn't believe the difference in my face! So yes I took before photos. But I don't really plan on showing anyone else. I just want to be able to look at it and see how far I've come. :wink:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    IM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GLAD I DID!

l894296062.jpg
    l554858134.jpg

^ i cant post those two pictures enough.
  • PatrissiaLu
    Options
    I didn't realize how necessary it was for me until I kept looking at myself in the mirror thinking I hadn't really changed at all... then I put together an old picture of me and a new picture of me and thought "Holy crap! I used to look like THAT?!!" Makes me feel good to look at old and new pictures now... :blushing:
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Take a before pic. They are so nice to have when you get close to your goal size to remind you how far you've come.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Take the photos...I don't have a good before photo (just group shots at work events), and even though I realize that my old clothes do not fit at all and that I'm buying much smaller sizes, I don't really "see" the difference as I didn't see myself as big as I was before, and I don't really see myself as small as I am. The "proof" is in the pictures.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    if you have a significant amount of weight to lose-take a before pic. It will be so motivational for you. Continue to take pics at each mini goal met so you can SEE the difference. Pictures are worth a 1000 words!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Yep...I had my b/f take some before photos of me. They are disgusting but they are a HUGE reminder to me of what I did to myself....and never to repeat that mistake.
  • teschy123
    Options
    collage_2012-09-14_09-03-13p.jpg

If I wouldn't of done this I would not have seen the difference

PS its the same pic that is my profile pic
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    its not necessary..but on those days when you are down in the dumps..its a nice reminder of how far you have come.. I didnt start taking "after" photos till I was 15 pounds down...and as you can see from my profile pic..that was about 40 pounds ago..Its AWESOME!