hummus!!!

Replies

• I love hummus!!! Got a selection of 70g hummus pots in different flavours at the weekend (All reduced fat as well!) Sunblushed tomato is amazing!

For dipping, I normally have wholemeal pitta bread, or carrot sticks, bell pepper strips or celery.
  • You had me at hummus...:love: My favorite is garlic. If I died eating garlic hummus with pita chips, I would die a happy woman!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I also like Hummus! On toast or a bagel or dip veggies into it.
  • I make my own hummus. Canned garbanzo beans..garlic ,olive oil , tahini , lime juice and sprinkle paprika. I buy fresh whole wheat pita bread from the Mediterranean Market. Yum!:smile:

^^This! Much yummier made from scratch and so easy to make with a food processor.

I use chili paste instead of Tahini. I'm not sure what the difference is taste wise. It's been a long time since I've made it homemade.
  • JessMason24
    JessMason24 Posts: 38 Member
    bump
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    I personally like the Sabra original or pine nut flavor or I make my own. I like to boil my chickpeas first, so my hummus comes out creamier. My favorite thing to dip in hummus is cucumber and red peppers (well, any raw veggies really). I also use it in place of mayo on my sandwiches and I love it in salads too!
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Tribe Garlic is my favorite and I love to eat it with the Kelloggs Cracker Chips (30 chips = 1 serving)
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    whenever i have a carb fix, i buy a package of whole wheat pitas and hummus and go to town. love it.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    :love: :wink: :love:
  • hummus hummus hummus...
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    I dip pita bread in it or flavoured tortillas

This is what I like:)
  • There's a recipe floating around using fat free yogurt in it instead of tahini. I'll try to dig it up if anyone's interested. I'll have to try the one posted above with avacado, sounds great.

Yes please :happy: :flowerforyou:

Here's that other recipe, took a little time to track it down again, wanted to make sure I could include the basic nutritional facts.

It comes from www.food.com, the spices are variable based on personal preference of course, but overall was very tasty.

3 garlic cloves, minced, more if you like
    1/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
    Directions:

Mix everything together in a blender. Add more yogurt till you get the consistency you want, then chill it.

Serve with your choice of dipping snack. (Pita chips, veggies, etc)

Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
    Servings Per Recipe: 6
    Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    Calories 123.3
    Calories from Fat 17 14%
    Total Fat 1.9 g 3%
    Saturated Fat 0.3 g 1%
    Cholesterol 0.6 mg 0%
    Sodium 373.2 mg 15%
    Total Carbohydrate 21.8 g 7%
    Dietary Fiber 4.0 g 16%
    Sugars 0.8 g 3%
    Protein 5.1 g 10%
  • hlp423
    hlp423 Posts: 41 Member
    I eat less than I used to. I love the sabra pine nut one but a serving size is realllly small when you put it on a scale. Those calories add up fast. Maybe homemade will be lower though.
  • It takes longer (ok, much longer) but I now make mine from dried chickpeas - it definitely makes a difference to the taste and texture, much creamier. My recipe:

1 1/2 cup dried chickpeas soaked overnight, bring to boil with 1 tsp salt then cover and simmer 1 hour. Drain and keep liquid.Puree
    Add 2 cloves crushed garlic, 3/4 cup tahini, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1 tsp salt or to taste and as much of reserved liquid as needed to make creamy consistency.
    Makes about 3 cups worth.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    There's a recipe floating around using fat free yogurt in it instead of tahini. I'll try to dig it up if anyone's interested. I'll have to try the one posted above with avacado, sounds great.

Yes please, I'm interested

EDIT: should've read to the end of the thread LOL
  • hlp423
    hlp423 Posts: 41 Member
    Where do you get a dried chickpea? Id like to try this.
  • I'm pretty sure most supermarkets would have dried chickpeas - maybe in the health food section. Or I buy it from my local greengrocer. Works out cheaper too (not that canned chickpeas are expensive).
  • crystalnichle
    crystalnichle Posts: 126 Member
    any kinda raw veggies is delicious with hummus!
  • I love hummus! I usually get Sabra but other brands are fine! MMMMM. I love hummus, cucumber, tomato, olive oil and black pepper on wheat. I love hummus and pretzels. I love hummus and baby carrots. I love hummus with cucumbers. Ahh hummus. I'm going to have that sandwich now actually lol
  • TeaberryDawn
    TeaberryDawn Posts: 30 Member
    I <3 hummus! Great anytime, but I like to eat it in the afternoon as a snack with some naan (Indian bread) ... so yummy and filling until dinner-time. I usually buy Athenos brand hummus, but making your own is great also. There are lots of great recipes out there ; experiment and enjoy. However, I would recommend using a food processor or powerful blender. I burnt up an "el-cheapo" blender making it one time.