What type of exercise has given you the best results?

Options
13»

Replies

• jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the replies. Love to see what you are all doing.

I see a common theme here, strength training. We have a machine in our garage and I have been doing reps 3 times a week but was considering taking a break to focus on more cardio for weight loss. I will rethink that and continue the strength training.

Thanks for taking the time!
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    Make sure you eat throughtout the day so you're never hungry but keep your portions small and light. Be active whenever you can throughout the day, lunch breaks, after-dinner walk, etc. and fit in several hard workouts during the week combining whole body weight training and 30-45 minutes of intense cardio. Its okay to eat back 2/3 of your excercise calories. Don't eat a couple hours before bed, I use my intermittant fast time between 7pm and 8:30 or 9 Aam, which gives a good 13-14 hours without food and without feeling like you're missing out on your main meals.

:)
  • addmorecloud
    addmorecloud Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how many people got resuts with running. When I did C25K I did not lose much about 3 pounds over the whole 12 weeks it took me last time and I did not even drop a size. What has worked is Yoga. And Tabata workouts.
    Although I am going to give Insanity a try come October 1.

I find the same with running, my sister drops weight almost instantly, but for me it takes months to lose a single pound of weight. What type of yoga do you do please?
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • evelyn_HFC
    evelyn_HFC Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My faves for the best results in muscle definition:
    Bicep curl
    Bridges (Hip thrusts, lying)
    Tricep cable presses
    wall sits
    pullups
    push ups
    hanging knee raises (tucks)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Heavy weight lifting (including body weight like push-ups) doing 90% compound movements such as squats, lunges, deadlifts, overhead press, pull-ups, dips, bench press, planks, woodchops
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    heavy lifting, increasing weights every workout. i've only lost a small amount on the scale (21 pounds) but 5 pant sizes.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Weight training has given me the best results as far as changing how my body looks. I mix in some light cardio for its own benefits, but if I was forced to give up one or the other, the cardio would be gone without a second thought.
  • martinh78
    Options
    Personally I think High Intensity Interval Training is one of the best ways to loose weight. Have a search and do some reading.

I swear by it for rapid increases in cardiovascular fitness and endurance as well. I enjoy long distance mountain biking, hillwalking and climbing, so whislt weight lifting can be beneficial it means nothing without cardiovascular fitness and muscular endurance.

The point is not to argue which is best, but which fits with your daily activities/hobbies as well.
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells! Strength and cardio together. Fun too!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    fork put downs and plate pushaways.

Unless you mean athletic results. Then: Lifting.
  • hannibal28
    hannibal28 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I found running 25-30 miles a week and circuit training with 12-15 reps per exercise. I have gained muscle and lost weight at the same time. i was not looking to get huge just cut.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    fork put downs and plate pushaways.

Unless you mean athletic results. Then: Lifting.

HA HA... and exactly right
  • pat_asai
    pat_asai Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    P90X FTW!
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Swimming and lifting! I'm losing inches like mad and in places I have NEVER lost fat before ( hips, thighs...)
  • valleymum
    valleymum Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i am currenty doing the 30DS. i love it!! results are noticable within the first week. I am just about to start level 3 ( i take weekends off ) and with the help of jillian and MFP i have lost 11.6 lbs and one full dress size in one month.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    You get the best results from any exercise you do consistently.