WHEY PROTEIN?

Options
2»

Replies

• rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    My favorite quick breakfast is a protein shake with one of those high-fiber bars to help stop the protein from passing through too quickly. Depending on brands, it's about a 260-calorie meal in about one minute.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I recommend Clearvite vitamin enriched powser. Mix it with some alomd milk and frozen fruit. Not all protien powders are what they claim. I got this thru a doctors advise and it is really good.
  • _workforit
    Options
    Protien shakes aren't neccessary for weight loss & I would argue not reccommended. Unless you are doing a considerable amount of heavy lifting, a healthy diet should provide the reccommended amount of protien your body needs daily. Extra protien won't build extra muscle. In fact, several studies show that our bodies can only digest about 26g of protien per meal - the rest turns to fat. Considering that whey protien in particular is a by-product of cheese (the curds, aka. the left overs), you need to really be on point with your nutrition to utilize them properly.

Overall, I would say skip the shake, eat a healthy diet, & take a multivitamin. But hey, thats just my opinion :-) Let me know if you want more info! I just finished my nutrition class & am an exercise physiology major, so I'd like to consider myself very knowledgeable about this stuff.
  • LooneyBruni
    LooneyBruni Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like Isopure. 0 carbs and 25g of protein per scoop.
  • sailorbacon
    sailorbacon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at getting Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein. It's low carb at about 3g of carbs per scoop and each scoop has about 26g of protein per scoop. For a 2 lb container, it's about 15 bucks at Walmart, which is perfect for my budget because I am living that poor college kid life, haha! ( Side note: I'm going to use it in fruit smoothies twice a day while I do Tapout.)
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have a whey protein shake for breakfast 3 to 5 days a week. Holds me well.
    Cytosport 100% whey at Costco.
    Mixed with skim milk.

I have a whey protein every morning. It's the only way I'm able to have breakfast. I was Jillian Michael's protein, but found myself hungry too soon before lunch. I just started using a new one today and it really suppressed my hunger and I didn't need a pre-lunch snack. It's "Pure Protein Whey Protein", it has 25 grams of protein and I was very pleased with the results. It comes in Vanilla and Chocolate.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Protien shakes aren't neccessary for weight loss & I would argue not reccommended. Unless you are doing a considerable amount of heavy lifting, a healthy diet should provide the reccommended amount of protien your body needs daily. Extra protien won't build extra muscle. In fact, several studies show that our bodies can only digest about 26g of protien per meal - the rest turns to fat. Considering that whey protien in particular is a by-product of cheese (the curds, aka. the left overs), you need to really be on point with your nutrition to utilize them properly.

Overall, I would say skip the shake, eat a healthy diet, & take a multivitamin. But hey, thats just my opinion :-) Let me know if you want more info! I just finished my nutrition class & am an exercise physiology major, so I'd like to consider myself very knowledgeable about this stuff.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22895782
    Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2012 Aug 14. [Epub ahead of print]
    Protein feeding pattern, casein feeding or milk soluble protein feeding did not change the evolution of body composition during a short-term weight loss program.
    Adechian S, Balage M, Remond D, Migné C, Quignard-Boulange A, Marset-Baglieri A, Rousset S, Boirie Y, Gaudichon C, Dardevet D, Mosoni L.
    Source
    1INRA.
    Abstract
    Studies have shown that timing of protein intake, leucine content and speed of digestion significantly affected post-prandial protein utilization. Our aim was to determine if one can spare lean body mass during energy restriction by varying the quality and the timing of protein intake. Obese volunteers followed a 6 week restricted energy diet. Four groups were compared: caseins pulse, caseins spread, milk soluble proteins (MSP = whey) pulse, MSP spread (n=10-11 per group). In caseins groups, caseins were the only protein source; it was MSP in MSP groups. Proteins were distributed in 4 meals per day in the proportion 8/80/4/8 % in the pulse groups; it was 25/25/25/25 % in the spread groups. We measured weight, body composition, nitrogen balance, 3-methylhistidine excretion, perception of hunger, plasma parameters, adipose tissue metabolism and whole-body protein metabolism. Volunteers lost 7.5 ± 0.4 kg of weight, 5.1 ± 0.2 kg of fat and 2.2 ± 0.2 kg of lean mass, with no difference between groups. In adipose tissue, cell size and mRNA expression of various genes were reduced with no difference between groups. Hunger perception was also never different between groups. On the last week, due to a higher inhibition of protein degradation and despite a lower stimulation of protein synthesis, post-prandial balance between whole-body protein synthesis and degradation was better with caseins than with MSP. It seems likely that the positive effect of caseins on protein balance occurred only at the end of the experiment.

(My emphasis)

Laymans terms articles that cite great sources here:
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html (Myth 5)
    http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

Please post your sources and I'll read them to decide what I think is most valid. But I think Martin (leangains link) makes a great point in that this myth doesn't pass the evolutionary sniff test. Why on earth would we evolve to need to eat every 2-3 hours to stay healthy?
  • notevenhere
    notevenhere Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at getting Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein. It's low carb at about 3g of carbs per scoop and each scoop has about 26g of protein per scoop. For a 2 lb container, it's about 15 bucks at Walmart, which is perfect for my budget because I am living that poor college kid life, haha! ( Side note: I'm going to use it in fruit smoothies twice a day while I do Tapout.)
    Just an FYI, that brand of protein contains 3g of creatine monohydrate per scoop. That would put you at 6g a day to which only 3-5g a day is necessary for achieving and maintaining saturation. So if you go to the doctor and your creatinine levels are elevated you will know why. Also you will have actually gained weight once saturation is achieved.
  • iluvtrees123
    Options
    You have to watch the cholesterol content in a lot of protein mixes as well.
  • bpmartyr
    Options
    I like Isopure. 0 carbs and 25g of protein per scoop.

Second that. Nice addition of vitamins and potassium as well.
  • bpmartyr
    Options
    You have to watch the cholesterol content in a lot of protein mixes as well.

Why? Dietary cholesterol is not an issue. One of the reasons I eat at least 2 eggs everyday and all my levels are excellent.
  • sailorbacon
    sailorbacon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI, that brand of protein contains 3g of creatine monohydrate per scoop. That would put you at 6g a day to which only 3-5g a day is necessary for achieving and maintaining saturation. So if you go to the doctor and your creatinine levels are elevated you will know why. Also you will have actually gained weight once saturation is achieved.

I've read a lot of the reviews on it and a lot of the females said they achieved weight loss when they used it for meal replacement, which is what I'd like to do. Would I still gain weight if I'm using it for meal replacement?
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I have a whey protein shake for breakfast 3 to 5 days a week. Holds me well.
    Cytosport 100% whey at Costco.
    Mixed with skim milk.

It's a shame they've raised the price. At $40 it was a steal. Now at $49, it's not that great.
  • kittyraj
    kittyraj Posts: 129 Member
    Options

I've read a lot of the reviews on it and a lot of the females said they achieved weight loss when they used it for meal replacement, which is what I'd like to do. Would I still gain weight if I'm using it for meal replacement?

I have it every morning because I feel to ill / nauseous to eat breakfast.

As a result of it kick starting my metabolism earlier in the day (instead of my usual lunch being my first meal) I've lost 4lbs in the past 2-3 weeks.

May I recommend USN's diet fuel. The strawberry flavour is best. I don't know if you can purchase them in America but I'd give it a go. It stops you feeling hungry and therefore stops you snacking (if you're a snacker that is)
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I usually have a scoop of whey protein on a morning with my oatmeal, this stops me from feeling hungry right up until lunch time.

I then have another couple scoops after a workout - i mix with milk though so it adds more carbs but its the only way i can take it, i've tried protein powder with just water and i thought it was gross!!!!!

:)