"Starvation mode", exercise calories, dillema?

Options

Replies

• MrsWonderland
    MrsWonderland Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thank you, important, will read later.
  • JenNuma
    JenNuma Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks... Bump!
  • wfriddell
    Options
    Great Post!
  • KatieKatB
    Options
    great, thanks for the info!
  • CowgirlKimi
    CowgirlKimi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post! I have lost a pretty fair amount of weight (74#) in a short amount of time (5 months or so), and I am under doctor supervision. he loves that i use MFP and I bring copies of my food journals to every appt.

I actually consume 1100 cals a day 5 days a week. On the weekends, I run about 5 miles each day, and those days, I eat extra cals. My doc says this is ideal for my goals. I feel amazing!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Live4More
    Live4More Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post! I have lost a pretty fair amount of weight (74#) in a short amount of time (5 months or so), and I am under doctor supervision. he loves that i use MFP and I bring copies of my food journals to every appt.

I actually consume 1100 cals a day 5 days a week. On the weekends, I run about 5 miles each day, and those days, I eat extra cals. My doc says this is ideal for my goals. I feel amazing!

if you're going to do a low calorie diet, then this is how it should be done, under doctor supervision. Good stuff, I expect, soon enough you'll have your calories raised and be happy and healthy.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    How does calorie cycling work? I'm curious.

that's a long story, but the short of it would be, you have a schedule for the week, where you have a day of "high" calories (near your TDEE or at it, and subsequent days of gradually lower calories, usually ending on day 3 or 4 with a deficit of 1000 to 1400 calories, and then back up. This strategy works for some, as it keeps your body from entering that long term deficit and thus keeps it from changing up the hormones. Make no mistake though, it's difficult, and requires a lot of dedication to do, but for some people, it's a viable alternative to a constant deficit.
    There are a lot of variations to calorie cycling, so what I described is just one, you should research it, and make sure any thing you use for info is from a reputable source and verified by medical research though as there's a lot of bad info out there.

-Banks
  • Dandawa
    Options
    bump
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    bump
  • wannabeskinny27
    wannabeskinny27 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    but surely it varies from person if i eat 500 calories and i drink lots of water i don't feel starving yet other days im the oppsoite
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    but surely it varies from person if i eat 500 calories and i drink lots of water i don't feel starving yet other days im the oppsoite

hunger has little to do with actual starvation mode. Hunger is controlled by hormones. Hormones can be altered based on body chemistry. The human body will manipulate hormone levels based on what it considers normal.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Bump to read later. I'm sooo frustrated. I lost 8 pounds last month from eating 1700 a day, MFP recommended I drop to 1680 and I did and now I'm up .4 from last month. What the hell? Granted I haven't been eating all the way to 1680 some days because I feel that it takes me eating junk to be able to meet my calories so I end up eating healthy and phooey on if I make the calorie goal or not. Clearly it isn't working. Maybe I should have eaten more candy like I did last month. :/
  • jaimeteague
    jaimeteague Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Really well explained. I lost 20 pounds in 20 months. Not impressive but I am in a better shape than ever.

Healthy weight loss is always impressive to me, no matter the amount or time taken. Don't sell yourself short. Slow and stead means victory with weight loss, fast usually means relapse (at a 90% clip actually) in this game.

Kudos to you!

I lost 60 lbs in a year eating 1200 cals a day and have kept it off for over a year...i am in the best shape of my life....according to u guys i shudnt have any muscle left cuz my body shud have eaten them all away from starving.........to say ur going to eat away all ur muscle and ur body will go into starvation mode is absurd to me......just absurd......i had a family member go to one of the best clinics in america and dietician put them on 1200 per day for 6 mo.......but what do i know im no dr of nutrition like most on here
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Bump to read later. I'm sooo frustrated. I lost 8 pounds last month from eating 1700 a day, MFP recommended I drop to 1680 and I did and now I'm up .4 from last month. What the hell? Granted I haven't been eating all the way to 1680 some days because I feel that it takes me eating junk to be able to meet my calories so I end up eating healthy and phooey on if I make the calorie goal or not. Clearly it isn't working. Maybe I should have eaten more candy like I did last month. :/

first things first, any calorie amount under the 10 pound bubble isn't really relevant because the human body fluctuates up to about 5 lbs up or down on a daily basis. Drink an extra glass of water 2 days earlier and eat a few hundred mg of salt the next day and you could be up 2 lbs without ever knowing why. So forget about numbers under a pound, they're irrelevant.

Second, a 20 calorie increase or decrease is not going to make a difference one way or another.
    Here's why.
    lets say that eating 20 extra calories per day did put you over the point of gaining weight. OK, so how much would you gain.
    Here's how much. 20 X 365 = 7300 (I.E. just shy of 2 lbs)
    that means in about 1 year you'd gain 2 lbs. if the world was just and everything happened in the human body the way formulas predict (which they don't).
    So in 1 month, with a 20 calorie increase, you'd have added 600 extra calories approximately, to your frame. Or in terms of lbs of fat.... 1 SEVENTH of a pound.

Now, that being said, most bathroom scales (even the really good ones) have a 1 lb margin for error, which means even the ones that give you two places to the right of the decimal point aren't being very accurate about it. So forget about the.4 it's not relevant.

What I really think you're getting at is... why did I not lose? Which is a good question. It's one you should examine. But examine it by using reason, not emotion. Ask yourself, did I measure my food quantity right? Did I really exercise the amount I thought I did and burn the number of calories I thought I did? Is my deficit set to the right amount? Am I taking into account the error factor for calories (a lot higher than 20 on a day's worth of food, even if the labels were 100% accurate, which they're not).

In other words, I'm saying, check your methods before you question the theory. And look at this as a long haul process, don't sweat the small stuff, and try to be healthier, if you do that, the weight will eventually come off.

-Banks
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Really well explained. I lost 20 pounds in 20 months. Not impressive but I am in a better shape than ever.

Healthy weight loss is always impressive to me, no matter the amount or time taken. Don't sell yourself short. Slow and stead means victory with weight loss, fast usually means relapse (at a 90% clip actually) in this game.

Kudos to you!

I lost 60 lbs in a year eating 1200 cals a day and have kept it off for over a year...i am in the best shape of my life....according to u guys i shudnt have any muscle left cuz my body shud have eaten them all away from starving.........to say ur going to eat away all ur muscle and ur body will go into starvation mode is absurd to me......just absurd......i had a family member go to one of the best clinics in america and dietician put them on 1200 per day for 6 mo.......but what do i know im no dr of nutrition like most on here

I'm happy that you've lost the weight you wanted and you're in the shape you wanted to be in, I truly am, but you didn't state anything in this that contradicts my statements. You offer no research outside of anecdotal evidence, and show no record of your loss. I'm not really sure why you even mention this other than just to be argumentative. Do you want to have a discussion about it or just be the contrarian? If you'd like to refute my statements, at least refute them with counter arguments. Otherwise it just sounds like someone being stubborn to me.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I think people like u that state everything so matter of fact and tell people if u dont do it like this it wont work are annoying...thats all....i was just showing a real life example of how it can be done without quoting studies or books or wat dr.quack said in last months tdee monthly.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I think people like u that state everything so matter of fact and tell people if u dont do it like this it wont work are annoying...thats all....i was just showing a real life example of how it can be done without quoting studies or books or wat dr.quack said in last months tdee monthly.

Well, great, thanks for the blatant insults and belittlement of my research. I appreciate the feedback. I stand by facts, and the tens of thousands of MFP members that have followed the plan successfully that I believe in and try to champion to the best of my ability.

You've said your piece, now if you'd like to have a factual discussion I'm all for it. Otherwise, I have nothing else to add to this particular reply stream.