Just Bought a Slow Cooker!

Options
I got so excited I threw in half of the contents of my fridge into the pot...

...4 hours later I had a delicious cajun chicken & sausage chili (I swear this thing is magic!!!).

For crock pot users out there, what are your favorite healthy recipes?

Replies

• JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Chili, soups and I'll often throw a bunch of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in and cook all day until they are so tender you can shred easily with a fork. I make a homemade barbecue sauce that's really tangy, made with Sriracha hot sauce. Mix it into the chicken... yum!
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    A good roast with carrots and potatoes...brisket for sandwiches...baked potato or chicken noodle soup...Pinterest has lots of crock pot recipes.
  • moniraq
    moniraq Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy making chickens or roasts with root vegetables, a package of onion soup mix, and 1/2 cup of some kind of liquid (chicken broth, wine, water). Low for 6-8 hours and it will be tender and delicious when you get home. The only thing abou the roast is that I usually brown it before I put it in the crockpot for more flavor. Yum.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Anything with LEAN chicken and veggies is a win! Use water instead of marinades ;)
  • Dianne4Him
    Dianne4Him Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    we just learned about crock pot lasanga ... it is great! especially for big family get-togethers! We play around with making it healthy ... we use whole wheat noodles, low fat cottage cheese and mozerella and low sodium/no salt added tomatoes, sauces, etc.
  • shoomai1227
    shoomai1227 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Slow Cooker is the best thing since eggrolls!!! I haven't tried this recipe yet but will this weekend:

http://skinnyms.com/slow-cooker-fiesta-chicken-soup/
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    I love soups, stews, chili, a roast, and when I get a real craving for it, beans of whatever kind I have on hand.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Slow Cooker is the best thing since eggrolls!!! I haven't tried this recipe yet but will this weekend:

http://skinnyms.com/slow-cooker-fiesta-chicken-soup/

Thanks for this! I have literally all the ingredients :D
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I just bought a grass fed/grass finished brisket and can hardly wait!!!!
  • JenKillough
    Options
    I made this really delicious concoction of frozen broccoli, cottage cheese, eggs, & cheddar. It was simple and tasty. Just can't find the recipe!!! I lost it and can't seem to find it online...
  • stormsusmc
    Options
    I made this really delicious concoction of frozen broccoli, cottage cheese, eggs, & cheddar. It was simple and tasty. Just can't find the recipe!!! I lost it and can't seem to find it online...

Sounds like a hearty breakfast of protein, cut out the cheddar though too much fat ;)
  • loricasanas
    Options
    My favorite is chicken nachos. Throw a couple chicken breasts,a little water, taco seasoning and salsa. Cook on high for 4 hours. I add a can of black beans the last hour. Top with some fresh avocado and tomatoes, yum! Simple and delicious. :)
  • workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a haricot bean casserole on the go at the moment - just the beans with spinach, carrots, mushrooms and herbs.
  • JenKillough
    Options

Sounds like a hearty breakfast of protein, cut out the cheddar though too much fat ;)

Not if it's worked into your daily macros. IIFYM :D
  • stormsusmc
    Options

Not if it's worked into your daily macros. IIFYM :D

I know all about macros ;)
    here is a link you may like
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/743724-useful-links-for-you-must-read?page=1
  • triplestepping
    triplestepping Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Overnight steel cut oatmeal with vanilla & cinnamon. Follow normal ratios of water to oats!

It's amazing to come downstairs to fresh hot oatmeal waiting for you the second you get up. And the house smells so good!
  • NikkiHann17
    NikkiHann17 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without mine, actually got dinner for tonight in it now. I had one that was given to me by my mother in-law (it was as old as I am) and my hubby broke it. I made him go out that night and replace it.

As for my favorite recipies its trial and error. I web surf alot and try different things. However my son loves Taco Junk, My hubby loves roast with potatoes and carrots, me I'm more a chicken type girl. Try surfing the web though, or borrowing books from the library, and even looking on here for some recipies.

Good Luck and have fun with it. :-)
  • NikkiHann17
    NikkiHann17 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Overnight steel cut oatmeal with vanilla & cinnamon. Follow normal ratios of water to oats!

It's amazing to come downstairs to fresh hot oatmeal waiting for you the second you get up. And the house smells so good!

I have done this and added fresh cut apples or frozen peaches comes out great.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Beef Stew

1-2 pounds of stew meat (or a small rump roast)
    1 pound Potatoes (mixture of yellow or red skinned potatoes and sweet potatoes)
    1 pound Carrots
    Seasonings to taste
    1 can cream of mushroom soup (I usually use the Healthy Request)
    Water to completely cover vegetables.

I layer the potatoes on the very bottom, then the meat, then the carrots. Unless I'm using a roast, then the meat goes on the bottom. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. It's wonderful....
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

Is this some sort of fart joke? I'm just trying to make sense of this.