My weight loss is at a stand still after twenty pounds...

Options
I'm getting very frustrated. I'm dieting and have added exercise (walking) daily to my routine and I haven't lost any weight since the 7th of September. The last two weeks have been at a stand still. I've actually gained a couple of pounds. I'm getting very discouraged, but I don't want to stop!! Any suggestions? I need help!

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau around 25/30lbs. A lot of folks do.

My way out was RADICALLY changing up my work outs. Also, focussing on protein in my diet makes me lose faster. I would suggest changing and upping your work outs and seeing how that works.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. I've been at a stall for 6 weeks now, but I know my body will get back on track when it's ready. I stall at in 10-pound increments (158, 148, 138, now 128). My most effective "reboot" was when I completely revamped my workout routine. I purchased a Groupon that gave me 10 fitness classes at a local spa, so I tried everything from spinning to yoga to strength training. (Normally I was doing an hour on the elliptical.) I've also heard of success by increasing calories or taking a break from strenuous exercise while focusing on diet. But mostly, be patient--the loss will start again!
  • Kristy_Albritton
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm glad to know that it isn't just me. I've got a lot of weight to lose, so seeing the weight suddenly stop, it makes me want to give up...but i'm not. I'm finally feeling better after months of post pardum (after giving birth to my daughter) and then a spinal injury/surgery from a car accident. I'm going to add to my workout routine and keep on keeping on!! :)
  • MuffinTopCadz
    Options
    No apparently its a fact with everyone - everyone plateaus, Im waiting for my turn :(
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Lost 25 and haven't lost a thing since 9/2. I'm at EXACTLY the same weight...to the ounce. I've been working out and eating under my cals, but no progress. So frustrating. I feel your pain!
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I hit a 2 week plateau after losing 18. Now the weight is melting off again. What helped was changing to a higher intensity workout (running) a few days a week, and still walking or doing 30 day shred the other days. I also started eating more calories- actually I started eating back my exercise calories. Those extra (they're not really extra, because they were necessary all along!) calories just make everything easier... sticking with the healthy eating, having energy to exercise, and (I think) keeping the scale moving down.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring your food out correctly? Sometimes we can get a bit slack on that and it does make a difference
  • I obviously don't know what your daily meals are on average but try eating a small meal......(not too small).........5 times a day and throw in a protein shake for a snack..................the more you eat during the day in small portions will keep your metabolic rate moving faster to burn more calories, but at the same time......if you are constantly under your calorie count then your body goes into starvation mode.....its used to what you had been eating say for example before you wanted to lose weight.........and now its going "I'm not getting the usual"....and when your body goes into starvation mode what happens is your insulin levels, which are a huge player in metabolic rate and weigh management, take a dive. When your insulin levels drop your body stops burning carbs for energy and starts storing them as fat...........you then start gaining weight instead of losing it even though you are under your calorie count.........stay under the calorie count a few days a week then try to hit the calorie count the other days............especially on workout days have protein shakes after your workout and before bed.......remember.....cardio is good for heart health and getting some serious pounds off........but what really starts peeling off fat is when you gain a bit of muscle because the body has to feed the muscle with more energy than fat cells.......more muscle means higher BMR (Basil Metabolic Rate) - rate at which your body burns calories when doing nothing. If you can get your BMR up you will see yourself getting smaller. Most people think that going tot the gym and losing weight means cardio first..........no.....this is wrong.........you need to hit the weights for 30mins-1 hour before doing cardio with little breaks in between sets........what this does is makes your body burn off short term energy stores first such as lipids, carbs, and sugars. Then when you hit the bike, treadmill, etc......your body will be tapping into its long term energy stores (a.k.a. Fat cells) for fuel and you will lose more weight. Hope this was helpful......and of course if anyone reads this and finds that I have mispoken somewhere please correct me because I am always looking for more input.
  • shadoewz
    Options
    Try taking measurements in addition to using the scale, or taking pictures. There are times where the scale tells me nothing is happening, but my measurements are smaller. My son keeps telling me that every time I increase my exercise that I am probably building up some muscle, so he assures me I am losing fat, even thought for that week or two I have not lost weight.
  • akillaah
    akillaah Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    have you tried taking your measurements? If you are doing all the right things and it is not reflecting on the scale it may be reflecting in other ways! I suggest tracking your measurements as you may be loosing inches even if you arent losing pounds. I have a lot of weight to lose too so I understand how discouraging that is. Just make sure to keep exercise and track, track, track!! as long as you are exercising and eating right - I PROMISE you WILL lose. :D
  • wnt2beehlthy
    Options
    I am having such a hard time giving up my regular pepsi. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • musicalmeganne
    Options
    You may want to consider upping the calorie intake too. Say you're on 1200 calories, and then you lose weight and are working out. Your body is holding on to all the fat it can because it's almost going into survival mode. My mother got very discouraged when she did this, but when she raised her calorie intake to 1500, she started losing the weight again! keep in mind that this is with exercise and healthy habits.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'm getting very frustrated. I'm dieting and have added exercise (walking) daily to my routine and I haven't lost any weight since the 7th of September. The last two weeks have been at a stand still. I've actually gained a couple of pounds. I'm getting very discouraged, but I don't want to stop!! Any suggestions? I need help!

Have you checked what you should be eating?
    http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee

Also, it's important to eat clean to achieve the results you want. I haven't looked at your journal/diary, but a lot can be said about certain overages. What I'm about to say is EccentricScience so decide for yourself if this will help. High sodium needs high potassium and water to offset it. High sugar/carb needs more intense work outs to burn it off. High protein needs more strength training to best utilize the aminos. High fat needs to be only the unsaturated fats if you are on a weight loss plan (no trans or saturated).
  • abbiepql
    Options
    All these comments are good and they all give excellent reasons as to the scale reflecting something you don't understand. My advise after experiencing these very often in my journey (so often that I almost disregard them now) is that when the body is in flux as it is when you are calorie deficient for a prolonged time and starting/ramping up exercise - it uses fluid to equalize weight lost. I think it does this for short periods of time - in women I think during certain times it retains that fluid longer. When the body clock is back in sync the fluid is released and the scale moves. When you hit certain percentages of your overall body weight lost I think our metabolism resets slightly and our body goes back into flux. During these fluxes you continue to lose but the body holds water and that is why even measurements can be wonky. I find it happens to me for on average 3 weeks about every 25 lbs. Sometimes longer, but when it's longer my weight losses are greater after the plateau. Every time I ramp up my exercise or strength training I even have slight gains - you wanna talk about pain, time along with with a plateau and that spells major depression! Bottom line - having what you wish to see on the scale is only part of the emotional satisfaction of this journey. If you are working the plan correctly, the plateau will end and you will lose consistantly until the next one. What is the alternative? You are not going to throw in the towel on this journey or lifestyle because the scale is not validating your victory are you? No, you just chalk it up to "*hit happens" and "this too will pass" because... it does and it will!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

My way out was RADICALLY changing up my work outs. Also, focussing on protein in my diet makes me lose faster. I would suggest changing and upping your work outs and seeing how that works.

Great suggestion! I would add strength training too. Even simple body weight exercises can make a huge difference.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Men lose weight much easier than women do but I lost 70 lbs just dieting, so you should start with your diet before you worry about your exercises IMO. Then, study meal timing on the internet so you can know what foods to eat, when, and how much.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    No apparently its a fact with everyone - everyone plateaus, Im waiting for my turn :(

Not "everyone" plateaus.

Have you re-calculated what your BMR and TDEE are after your loss of 20 lbs? Since your diary is closed and we don't have your vitals it's pretty tough to give reasons.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I hit several plateaus. My opinion? Your body is used to your routine. You need to crank up the intensity and do something different. Walking will only get you so far. I know you're not going to transition into jogging all of a sudden, but try this:
    - Walk for 1.5 minutes and try jogging for 20 or 30 seconds, repeat.

That will be something your body isn't used to, and will get your weight loss moving down again.

If running isn't your thing, do something else that gets your heart pumping faster.

Also, take a look at your diet and see if you can trim some calories somewhere.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options

My way out was RADICALLY changing up my work outs. Also, focusing on protein in my diet makes me lose faster. I would suggest changing and upping your work outs and seeing how that works.

Eating more protein always helped me snap out of a plateau!

Somehow spinach omelets did the trick for me and might help you too.

Try eating grapes ... and drinking lots of water ... see if that helps.
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Make sure you use weighing scales in the kitchen and measuring spoons so you don't estimate anything. If you're eating back you're exercise calories make sure you're not overestimating how many you've earned. Mostly stick with it as the weight will come off given time. Best of luck x