Women - what's your calorie goal?

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and I lost 60 lbs by eating less. The smaller you are the less you need to eat. The calories are all relative to your size so a set number like 1200 for everyone is just plain silly. That is barley below my RMR. If you have excess fat and someone says eat more to lose weight, why that is just plain silliness, think about it?

This is how eating less and not eating back my calories worked for me ---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
    We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    CW: 200 lbs
    Height: 5'6
    Avg loss per week 1-3 lbs
    Calories 1700

I don't exercise outside of my daily activity - I have a desk job and I walk for about 30min (to and from work) 5 days/week. I have been steady since I upped from the 1200 MFP decided to give me.
  • Radiskull
    Radiskull Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3, my calorie goal is 1500 and I have lost 7 pounds in about 20 days.
  • jensfitpal2012
    jensfitpal2012 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am 5"9",my dialy calorie goal is 1470 before I exercise.The problem I am having is when I exercise,they add so many more calories for me to eat.I cannot come close to the goal,usually500-600 cal.off.I am good on my fats,only eat MUFAS,always over on my protein,but I heard that's good. My question is for all youwho have experienced wt.loss,am I harming myself by not eating the fuul amt.after I have exercised. I was eating healthy,but not eating enough,was not losing,despite exercise. My doctor said I slowed my metabolism down,eat more. I have been eating really healthy,trying to eat every 2-3 hrs,small snacks,meals.Just want to know how close to I have to be to the goal to lose wt.Thanks
  • Cindygutie
    Cindygutie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am currently at 1750 and in maintenance mode. I exercise about 3-4x per week. for 30 minutes-60 minutes.

I am 5'8"

I use this website as a guideline for weight loss calories.
    http://thefitgirls.com/
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'm 5'1" and I lost 60 lbs by eating less. The smaller you are the less you need to eat. The calories are all relative to your size so a set number like 1200 for everyone is just plain silly. That is barley below my RMR. If you have excess fat and someone says eat more to lose weight, why that is just plain silliness, think about it?

This is how eating less and not eating back my calories worked for me ---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
    We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban

Sorry, not buying it. 1200 being barely below your BMR is a moot point. You should be eating at a deficit according to your TDEE. BMR is essentially meaningless if you're compensating by increasing your activity level. Will it work? Yeah, maybe it will but I'll be damned if I live on what you eat. No offense. I would never advocate, support, or condone that sort of restriction.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I recently dropped it to 1300 before exercise. I will try to keep it around 1500 total. I am 5'5" and 51 yo.

Before this week I was eating 1700 - 1900 (total) which according to MFP should have me losing 1/2 lb per week but I was maintaining. I was okay with that because it helped me gain a little muscle, but now I've decided to try and lose a few more lbs. of fat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" (and 47 y/o)
    My BMR is 1333
    I eat about 1600 a day, and I don't "eat back" my exercise calories.
    I'm not really in maintenance, and not really looking to lose...somewhere in between.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Hey girls,
    Whats your daily calorie goal?
    Are you having success?
    How tall are you ?
    :)

5' 4" and CW 233

I try to net under 1800/day, but sometimes if I am hungry after my workout, I will eat part of my exercise calories, bumping me to *maybe* 2000 calories. I've had twice since I started that I ate more than that. I normally eat between 1600-1800.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5, 40 years old 132.8# and aim for 2000 a day, but I'm going to have to increase it soon.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/709987-how-wrong-i-was-600-days-of-mfp-lotsa-pics
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" at 134lbs, my goal is 1700. I don't get to exercise much, I have a moderately active job and college life. :)
    & After too long at 1200 and not losing, I get amazing results at 1700! (And more energy!)

YAY! One more person who EATS!

I'm 5', 201lb (154cm/91.2kg) and my goal is 1700. I EAT!!!

I started off on 1200 and lost nearly 20lb but then weight loss stalled. I increased my workouts to twice a day, it made no change except to make me cranky at morning workouts. Ooops. So I increased my calories to 1700. I work out twice a day (cardio in the morning, weights in the afternoon), I eat like a pig and I'm still losing consistently.

Best decision I've made since joining MFP was to increase my calories!

:drinker:

1800/day here! I would rather lose the right way than to starve myself and be frustrated!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am 5"9",my dialy calorie goal is 1470 before I exercise.The problem I am having is when I exercise,they add so many more calories for me to eat.I cannot come close to the goal,usually500-600 cal.off.I am good on my fats,only eat MUFAS,always over on my protein,but I heard that's good. My question is for all youwho have experienced wt.loss,am I harming myself by not eating the fuul amt.after I have exercised. I was eating healthy,but not eating enough,was not losing,despite exercise. My doctor said I slowed my metabolism down,eat more. I have been eating really healthy,trying to eat every 2-3 hrs,small snacks,meals.Just want to know how close to I have to be to the goal to lose wt.Thanks

If you are using the MFP default setting for protein (15%, I think) then eating a little over is likely not a problem if you are otherwise healthy. Generally the medical recommendation is 15 - 30% protein for healthy adults (it varies based on size, sex and age). If you exercise intensely, even more may be okay. Check with your doctor if you have any medical conditions.

It's hard to say if you are hurting yourself by not eating all your exercise calories without knowing what you are eating and what the total calorie count on average is. If the deficit drops your net calories below 1470 that could be problematic at your height. If you need to add more calories without adding more bulk look at upping your fat content from healthy vegetable fat (olive oil, avocado, nuts, seeds, etc.)
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    5'3", ~140lbs
    cal intake = 1850 weekly avg (between 1570-2100/day depending on exercise and what my body is telling me.)

success? in the making. i like the slow and steady approach.
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1510 and pretty much eat each and every calorie I can. I also eat back my exercise calories. I don't think I could get through a day otherwise.

My starting weight was 212 lbs and I'm currently at 194 lbs. I'm 45 years old and 5' 5".

Thankfully, it's been easy enough. I was on vacation for a week and even managed to maintain my weight. I had the attitude of "enjoy it but don't go overboard".
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    my daily intake is 1800 calories
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm between 5'4" and 5'5" and my net calorie goal is between 1500 and 1700. I have MFP set to 1500 but don't feel bad if I go over a bit since I'm not looking to lose any major pounds. I also only track on the week days but try and stay kind of on track on the weekends. Cutting out a few drinks would help with that. :drinker:
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    1500, usually within and more often about 50/100 calls under it. I am 5'6. I am actually loosing about a kg a week on this. I eat back most of my exercise calories
  • anniebonnie
    anniebonnie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    1700 net calories:) but so far these past few days have been more along the lines of 1300-1500 haha. I'll probably make up for it on the weekend though, since those are my maintenance days. I'm 5'5, no clue how much I'm losing on this
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    1500 --I'm 5"3"
  • JessicaMurch5515
    JessicaMurch5515 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    1500-1600. I lowered it to 1200 for about a month and absolutely nothing happened so I'm back up to what I know works for me.