lap band

Options
Has anyone had the Lap-band surgery? and pros and cons if you would like to share, my BMI is 37 and I have struggle with weight issues all my life and Im thinking about asking my dr about it.

Replies

• kari11
    Options
    Hi poemas16, I have a friend who had gastric bypass and a Facebook friend who had the lap band surgery both said at first very tough going. Like the first month was brutal no food they could eat and got sick of soup! But. Ow both are very happy they did the surgery.
    Hope this helps
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I considered lap band and gastric bypass surgeries, I didn't do either because I knew that doing that I could lose the weight and I could get thin. The only thing was to have these surgeries you have such a different structure of diet you HAVE to stick to. I knew that I needed to get my mind right and I needed to eat more healthful, nutritious foods, I needed to watch portions, and having those surgeries wasn't going to do that for me. I have done all that and for ME I was right I did what I needed to do to lose weight. Now for many people it is what they need to get the weight off and I wish the best of luck to them. What ever you decide I wish you the best of luck.
  • Dawn200321
    Dawn200321 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have lap band and I can honestly say I have no regrets. You still have to exercise and make better food choices but the band is a great tool for portion control. I also do not have the hunger that used to go along with regular diets. I have struggled with my weight for over 10 years and would go on diets and lost the same 20 pounds over and over again so I know what your going through. If you are willing to do the work lap band may just be a good choice.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i considered that and the other surgeries. but i decided it wasnt worth it for what all u have to do and in the end. u still have to all the exercise and all the dieting etc.. and the surgery is not gaurunteed. and has all sorts of heath risks. etc.. i lost 80 lbs with out surgery so others can do it too.. you have to have the will power and fight thru it... but if surgery is the way u wish to go..good luck
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I know two gentlemen who have the lap band. One lost a lot of weight and kept it off by staying active and changing his lifestyle. The other did not do either, and he is obese. The thing to remember is that the band is a tool. It gives you a 'kick start', if you will. But after the initial loss, it is up to the individual to work to keep the weight off. Some people have a difficult time changing their views of food, which is why psychiatric evaluations usually go along with WLS.

You really need to weigh the pros and cons. Talk to your doctor, and try to find people to sit down and talk to who can tell you the good, the bad, and the ugly. Ultimately, you should try to make the most informed decision you can. Good luck!
  • poemas16
    poemas16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :)
  • texasblackrose
    Options
    i have lap band and i HATE it. i wish i had never gotten it. If you cant eat right right now, what makes you think a band around your stomach is going to help? i thought it would too, but it didn't. i lost 80lbs, then gained it all back. i cant wait to have this thing removed.
    Now im doing it the right way, diet and exercise.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I think weightloss surgery is a good tool for people who have no where else to turn, but it also scares me a little. My mother had the surgery and lost all her weight that she wanted to (She's the most beautiful woman I know :)) the problem is coming around about...5 years later.

If you don't follow the diet exactly, apparently the re stretching of your stomach can cause hernias. :( It's in a place that they portioned off and now she might have to have the surgery reversed. She didn't gain hardly any of her weight back either, maybe ten pounds? She also has issues with her vitamin intake...with some of the surgeries they clamp the area of your stomach that absorbs some of the vitamins and minerals....

So it's a good tool...but I would give it an honest effort with the site for a good year, before I would consider altering my body that way. Besides, if you work it off, you have a chance to firm up your skin so you don't have to be bed ridden after a tummy tuck...

Like I said, I do support the weightloss surgeries, but I would try to do EVERYTHING else first.

My mother's experience wasn't the lapband, it was the actual sectioning off your stomach.
    A coworker of mine just had the lapband and she's lost about 34 pounds in a month and a half? She's having complications though, had to have her gallbladder removed right afterward (that might not be surgery related? I don't want to poke at her too much.)
  • poemas16
    poemas16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    weightloss surgery is not something you decide over night and if you cant eat right without it, then its not for you, sorry about your mom Tingirl, hope things get better Texasblackrose.
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I considered weight loss surgery. There is a group on facebook and everyone on there has had or will be having some sort of surgery. I followed them for three months, read their posts with all the ups and downs, their diets etc. I then took what I had learned and googled some of their "pouch" recipes to see if I could make my lifestyle change and live life like that happily. Along the way I found the fit2fat2fit guy and read some of his daily meals and workouts. After six months of researching I decided that life needed to change for me BUT it had to be something I could incorporate for the REST OF MY LIFE. I then started using MFP faithfully - no matter what I ate or how much, I logged. Long story short - 11 months later I have lost 104lbs and feel GREAT about my decision to change my life the best way for me.

Weight loss surgery is a personal choice and it comes with great results in a short time. It can also cause lifetime health issues for the rest of ones life. I have many friends who have had surgery - none of them have kept off the weight for more than 5 years. I also have friends that have had lipo suction, breast surgeries, etc. and 5 years later they look worse than they did before.

I guess what it boils down to - what type of life do you want to live? You only get one chance at life - there are no repeats. Live each day to the fullest and my motto is Eat to Live and NOT Live to Eat!!

Good luck in your life journey and whatever you decide I have faith you will succeed!!
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    i have lap band and i HATE it. i wish i had never gotten it. If you cant eat right right now, what makes you think a band around your stomach is going to help? i thought it would too, but it didn't. i lost 80lbs, then gained it all back. i cant wait to have this thing removed.
    Now im doing it the right way, diet and exercise.

I think this is your problem right here. You were probably expecting your surgery to be the magic cure. Lap band is a tool, to be used along with diet and exercise to lose the weight...
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I've very active in the weight loss surgery community. I had gastric bypass 4 years ago. No complications, no regrets. Honestly, I've only known a handful of lap-banders who have been successful. Most have not lost more than 20 pounds. I do not recommend lapband. Have you researched the sleeve? Same restriction as the band without the malabsorption of the gastric bypass. And without the maintenance and complications of the lapband (slippage, fills, throwing up, etc.)
  • borpy
    borpy Posts: 38
    Options
    My neighbor got lap band surgery three years ago and for the first year she lost a lot of weight, and I was considering getting it done. But after that first year the weight started coming back. The best thing to do is learn to eat better, teach yourself to exercise, teach yourself patience, and most importantly work throught the issues that are causing you to over eat.
    For me i know going to my local women's health clinic, combined with the local library was the best help. Not only for learning how to eat better but also for working through the emotional and pyschological aspects of being overweight.
    And get a membership to the YMCA. They are very affordable, and if you are unemployed or underemployed they have options for free or reduced memebership. Also they offer the Personalized exercise programs for free, as well as classes on eating better, and cooking, and the staff is usually very helpful with tips and new ideas for exercise.
  • twosteps
    Options
    Hi.

I originally looked into the lapband surgery, but heard some stories about it being unsucessful and causing damage to the stomach. Plus the need for regular fills put me off.

So I did more research and looked into the bypass, but saw that it isn't recommended for anyone with bowel trouble and I have had colitis in the past.

So then I came across the gastric sleeve, where they remove 70% of your stomach to reduce your capacity for food but with less malabsorption issues. I did months of research then went ahead with it in Sept '10.

I have lost 63lb, am the happiest and healthiest I've ever been and could not recommend it enough.

Obviously it isn't for everyone, but worth looking into if you are seriously considering weight loss surgery. The forums www.verticalsleevetalk.com proved invaluable for me before, during and after my op.

All the best of luck whatever you decide, and feel free to message me if you have specific questions.
    Lynds xx
  • thejunkr
    Options
    I had lap band surgery 3-1/2 months ago. I regret it every day. I so with I had done the sleeve. I eat right, no sweets, no sodas, low carbs and keep my calories under 1100 per day. I exercise at least 3times a week. I am losing about 1 pound per month. Seriously. 1 pound. What a waste of money and time.
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve in May 2012. My surgeon didn't recommend the lap band and he doesn't even do them anymore. I eat right, get my protein in, lift weights and walk the dog. I am pleased with the results. I have no regrets nor have I had any complications or problems. Like everyone says, it is a tool but you still have to work it for optimum results.
  • epiphany29
    epiphany29 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love my lap band. It's a good tool. I still have to work. I still have to make good choices. I still can screw up. What I can't do is screw up with an entire pizza, or an extra value meal. I have no foods that I cannot eat in moderation. I have lost over 105 lbs since my surgery 2 years ago and am still working on it. I don't lose fast. I am ok with that. I have lost 100 lbs before, only to gain it back in less than a year.

I think many of the issues with lap band relate to your surgeon, and to your follow up care. One group in our area has horrible luck with lap bands. The surgeon I went to does mostly lap band and based on the support groups we go to together it seems on par with the bypass folks as far as keeping it off. Slower definitely with the weight loss. Fewer of the issues with vitamin intake and hair loss and that "grey" look.

I wouldn't change a thing.

pip
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I had the band done 8 years ago. The first 6 months or so, things were great. Restriction was great, but the bottom line is that it brings it's own issues that you need to be aware of, and, it can PREVENT you from eating healthily. Things like Apples, or many fibrous vegetables or fruits - are off limits. Bread is tricky (though that's not a bad thing) - but chicken frequently would get stuck, unless slathered with mayo or ketchup.

in those early days, I chewed every bite 100 times. EVERY SINGLE BITE. and took TINY bites. The sad and simple truth is, the band does NOTHING more than control a portion size in a 15 minute or so sitting.

i.e., if you eat slowly and small amounts, you can graze your way to weight gain. There's no malabsorption, really, all it does is act like a physical appetite suppressant, but you have different issues than taking a pill.

food aversions, early morning food issues, and potential complications from having a foreign body in your system.

Because everyone's systems are different, their reactions will be too, and some people don't have the same issues as others.

My husband also has the band - he lost 131 pounds a year ago. He gained nearly all of it back because he plateaued. The Dr's where he had it done, mis-advised him - at around 400 lbs, to eat 1200 calories a day. 1200 a DAY... at his weight, he should have been eating at least 2000 to lose weight. He hit a hard plateau when his body started fighting back, then the weight just piled back on when he gave up, because his metabolism had lowered, he gained back fast.

I feel kind of bad because I talked him into it. I was SOO pro-band. SOO much. I knew, as long as I had the 'sweet spot' that weight loss was easy. I had to just monitor what I ate, but never was hungry. But then, things started to go wrong. I don't know what it was. if it slipped or what, but I had severe complications. I won't go into details, but I had to eventually had to go and have it completely unfilled. As a result, I gained EVERY single pound back. (all but 4 or so)...

I was so depressed. I have this useless piece of plastic in my belly. THEN In March, I went to a personal Trainer. AND I started to research like a crazy person. Working out, and learning that you DON'T need to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight, was the light bulb moment for me.

I LEARNED how to do it, without the band. I've been doing it for nearly 6 months. I've lost 50 lbs. MORE than I EVER did with the band's help. I don't deal with hunger, because I fill up on veggies and fruits (the very things I had trouble eating with the band). I eat lots of whole foods, that - surprisingly - are very filling and very low calorie. I NEVER starve. I get LOTS of nutrition. I eat GREAT - I can eat a 9 CUP BOWL filled with salad for lunch.. LOL granted, this makes me feel overfull and I'm considering cutting it back..but i love the flexibility to make the healthy choices.

I can't believe it. I'm on track to get to the lowest weight I have been in 15 years, and am considering having the band removed (but not sure I want an elective surgery to do so).

There is a way to do this - it takes work - but you do NOT have to be hungry. EVER. You will have to make changes to your lifestyle, and choose different foods, but you don't have to have surgery for that.

I'm not totally regretting having the band, as I think it kept me from ballooning to an even higher weight, until I learned this - the better way!!!

Good luck in your decision - coming from someone who was banded 8 years ago, and has known MANY people banded for MANY years that have had complications from it, I don't have any positive things to say about it long term. matter of fact, of the people I know who have had the band - 5 of us that I can think of off hand, and are more than 2 years out, none of them made it without complications or great success long term.

is it possible? sure, anything is. But the odds are against it...
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    i know a lot of people who got the lap band...and they all look great..i even thought bout it myself. but i feel no point cause they still have to work out. my aunt cant eat bread anymore because they effed up the first time she got a lapband. my dads old-time friend got the lapband tightened 3 times but its like sooo good compared to what he used to be. but ultimately its ur decision. i decided no cause i feel its better to try it naturally watch what i eat (altho im not really) lol and exercise. lol plus if i get the lapband i cant drink soda or any bubbly drink =\ lool
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery 3-1/2 months ago. I regret it every day. I so with I had done the sleeve. I eat right, no sweets, no sodas, low carbs and keep my calories under 1100 per day. I exercise at least 3times a week. I am losing about 1 pound per month. Seriously. 1 pound. What a waste of money and time.

1100 a day is TOO LOW... Scary low. Your body's metabolism has likely slowed to accommodate the lower calories. And before anyone replies that "You don't know her stats, 1100 calories could be ok if she is small or has a small amount to lose" - someone who had weight loss surgery generally is about100 lbs or more overweight - usually. that said, anyone with 100 lbs to lose, should never be eating 1100 a day.

It wouldn't surprise me if your doctor advised this, but it's horrible advice. Doctors are not nutritionists, and Not all of them are educated on the proper nutrition requirements based on individual stats like height, weight, BMR etc..

The sad truth is, you probably need to increase your calories for awhile, risk gaining some weight while your body adjusts to having adequate nutrition again, and then go with a more reasonable deficit - like 500 or so under your TDEE (what you burn on average per day with your activity level) This could mean you eat 1800 or more per day to LOSE weight.. (I average 1800/day, and have about 60-80 left to lose).

Take care. GOOD LUCK!

Tina
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!