Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Saving all my carbohydrates for the end of the day?

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    2. Also does anybody have any low-carb breakfast suggestions for me?

Bacon and eggs ;)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Low carb breakfast can be meat and eggs. I suggest poaching salmon or frying some steak over having processed meats.

Carbs serve as fuel for the body, so it is best to get them digested before you need them. Runners fuel about 12 hours before, but for the regular person, it's probably better to get them in the morning. You won't need them nearly as much while you are sleeping.

If you are following the MFP plan, it should work for you. Me, carbs are a killer, so I eat more protein.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    If carbs are a binge trigger for you, I can understand staving off until you can't take it any more. You're going to have to look deep to find out why you're binging on bread/crackers/etc. and see if you can learn how to either stretch them out during the whole day, changing them for other carbs (fruits and veggies), or do both.

It doesn't matter when you eat your carbs (or any other nutrient). Your metabolism doesn't slow down *that* much when you sleep.
  • The carbs on the graph are from all the carbs in your foods. Remember that fruits and veggies have carbs in them also. The report doesn't break down what kinds of carbs you are eating or where they are coming from. Obviously, carbs from fruits and veggies are better than starchy carbs from bread, grains and starchy veggies, but your body needs all the food groups in a nice balance. Depending on the amount of calories you are programmed to consume through out the day, at 1200 calories a day, you should have 5 to 6 servings of bread/starch carbs per day. That is 400 - 480 calories a day from bread/grains and starch. Increase that by 80 calories for each additional bread serving you are eating. If you keep that in check along with 5 - 6 protein servings (that is ounces), 3 to 4 fruits, 3 to 4 veggies, 3 fats servings (45 calories each), milk 2 to 3 per day and remember to drink your water......you should be in balance and able to lose weight in a consistent manner.....slow and 1 to 3 pounds a week.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    You will get (and have already gotten) lots of advice. For every answer, there's and equal and opposite answer. I highly suggest that whichever way you choose to go (no carbs, low carbs, carbs in A.M. or not) that you work with a diet that you can live with for the long term: MFP will be easy, you won't be discouraged, and you won't feel deprived.

If you find you aren't losing weight quickly enough, you can always tweak your macros for maximum efficiency. (Reduce sodium goals, raise protein goals, lower carb goals, etc.) Good luck! And you will find very good advice, but you may have to use outside sources to verify tips and learn who to trust.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Okay so here is what i've learned about carbs from my diabetic husband and his books. They aren't bad... Carbs are what fuels your body. They keep you muscles fuel. Eating too few will make you feel run down and low on energy, eating too many will cause you to store them (building fat cells) as energy for later. You just need to stick to the right levels during each meal, about 40-70. One reason why you may be craving them later in the day is that you are not spreading them throughout your day.
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    because not every one is the same, dude. Seriously........why does every twenty something muscle head DUDE think they have all the answers, especially for women?

What are the metabolic differences between men and women?

HORMONES!
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Carbs are not bad for you, but most of us don't need as many as we consume. I would never eat all my daily carbs at one time because the spike in blood sugar would not be good. It's better to space them out.
  • I'd understood that what matters with carbohydrate is how complex the structure of the particular molecule is: sugar, sucrose, has only two units, glucose one, fructose one - they are the sweetest of the carbs, and are pretty much "ready to go" - they get into the system quick, and therefore make a big spike of sugar in the blood if there's a lot of them in your food. More complex carbs are found in the starchy foods - they're made of long strings of joined up glucose molecules, and the body has to "unzip" these from the ends of the string. That takes time, so the energy is released over a much longer time......less of a spike of sugar, and more sustained energy. The most complex carbs take the longest to release their energy, and so are sustaining over longest time too - found in oats, and pasta for instance. That's why endurance sports people will tank up on those the night before a major effort.

The real problem is that we've got used to eating too much food, period. We find ourselves with ever bigger portion sizes as "normal", and having got used to eating these, feel hungry if we don't stash away that volume of food. All the "eat protein, it's more filling but less fattening" ideas miss the point: sure we need to eat less refined sugar and fewer processed foods, so that we have to spend more energy digesting what we've got, but it's not sustainable to keep putting up protein intake to feel satisfied if we're struggling to shift weight....an excess of protein is also going to be harmful in the longer term, to our own health, but also to our environment.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    You can eat them whenever you want and the idea of not eating at night to increase fat loss or reduce fat gain is incorrect in a calorie controlled comparison. Anyone suggesting that you shouldn't eat at night because your metabolism slows down is both:

A) misinformed
    B) neglecting the effects that occur during the rest if the day.

The more you eat at night, the less you est during the day. Guess what this means? This means fat oxidation increases during the day.

All that matters is that fat oxidation exceeds fat storage. This happens in an energy deficit regardless of WHEN you eat your carbs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Ok, that doesn't make sense to me AT ALL. You want to eat all your "bad" foods RIGHT BEFORE BED? When your'e about to go lay down and drop your metabolism down!!!???

so carbs are bad foods. is that all carbs? if not how are good and bad carbs defined?

What if i work out late in the day right before bed can I still eat carbs then?

How much does my metabolism drop during an average 8 hour sleep and do you have any evidence?

Why would eating one type of food at one certain time be more important that the overall intake of that food and activity levels over the long term.

please respond.

because not every one is the same, dude. Seriously........why does every twenty something muscle head DUDE think they have all the answers, especially for women?

There is evidence to suggest that you do not burn your food as efficiently while sleeping as you do while being active.

There is evidence to suggest that eating too much of ANYTHING is probably bad. There is enough evidence to suggest that it is harder for some folks, especially women, to burn LOTS of carbs and sugars effectively, especially if they are already sedentary and overweight.

And I'm not saying carbs are bad. I'm saying that as suggested by the OP, carbs are HER "bad food". I have also noticed that when my diet is carb heavy, my weight loss slows or stalls. When it's protein heavy, my weight comes off much more easily. My weight comes off easier when I cut drinking and cut extra sugar, too. That's just me, but it's common for lots of women. Just because it wasn't true for you doesn't really make it a universal truth.

The op mentioned she has problems with carbs and wants to find a way to control them. I suggested a way that has worked for me, and others have mentioned it worked for them.

Sorry that bunks your whole "I know every damn thing about every damn thing" theory, kiddo.

45 year old woman, so is my opinion more valid? There is no metabolic difference between men and women in this context.

Meal timing is irrelevant, intra day macro timing is irrelevant. there is no metabolic difference between eating your calories/carbs throughout the day compared to just before you go to sleep.

If you have evidence that suggests otherwise, please provide it.

As you mention anecdotal evidence re sample n=1, I will provide my own. I eat ice-cream just about every single day just before I go to sleep, in fact I eat most of my calories within 2 hours of going to sleep. I have lost weight at a totally predictable rate based on my calorific deficit and TDEE.

Edited to fix typo
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    It doesn't matter when you consume your carbs, just take them from healthy sources and create an overall calorie deficit in your diet. I think your decision to leave them until the end of the day makes sense.

I'm the same way about eating in general. I'd rather eat relatively lightly during the day so I won't have to make up for anything in the evening.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Ok, that doesn't make sense to me AT ALL. You want to eat all your "bad" foods RIGHT BEFORE BED? When your'e about to go lay down and drop your metabolism down!!!???

so carbs are bad foods. is that all carbs? if not how are good and bad carbs defined?

What if i work out late in the day right before bed can I still eat carbs then?

How much does my metabolism drop during an average 8 hour sleep and do you have any evidence?

Why would eating one type of food at one certain time be more important that the overall intake of that food and activity levels over the long term.

please respond.

There is evidence to suggest that you do not burn your food as efficiently while sleeping as you do while being active.

There is evidence to suggest that eating too much of ANYTHING is probably bad. There is enough evidence to suggest that it is harder for some folks, especially women, to burn LOTS of carbs and sugars effectively, especially if they are already sedentary and overweight.

And I'm not saying carbs are bad. I'm saying that as suggested by the OP, carbs are HER "bad food". I have also noticed that when my diet is carb heavy, my weight loss slows or stalls. When it's protein heavy, my weight comes off much more easily. My weight comes off easier when I cut drinking and cut extra sugar, too. That's just me, but it's common for lots of women. Just because it wasn't true for you doesn't really make it a universal truth.

The op mentioned she has problems with carbs and wants to find a way to control them. I suggested a way that has worked for me, and others have mentioned it worked for them.

Sorry that bunks your whole "I know every damn thing about every damn thing" theory, kiddo.

45 year old woman, so is my opinion more valid? There is no metabolic difference between men and women in this context.

Meal timing is irrelevant, intra day macro timing is irrelevant. there is no metabolic difference between eating your calories/carbs throughout the day compared to just before you go to sleep.

If you have evidence that suggests otherwise, please provide it.

As you mention anecdotal evidence re sample n=1, I will provide my own. I eat ice-cream just about every single day just before I go to sleep, in fact I eat most of my calories within 2 hours of going to sleep. I have lost weight at a totally predictable rate based on my calorific deficit and TDEE.

Edited to fix typo

Do you have that study bookmarked where people lost more weight eating a lot of carbs at dinner?
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    No it is not healthy to eat all your carbs at once. That will release so many sugars into your system and make your pancreas work hard at releasing insulin to get rid of it. Spread them out. And you certainly do not need 71% of your diet from carbs.

Make egg muffins and eat those. Just search the net and you will find tons of recipes.

Any by the way, if you eat a lot of anything it will convert it to fats. Don't overeat if you want to prevent that.
  • Ok so I have a question then. I work at UPS unloading trucks for about 4 to 5 hours per day, 5 days per week... on average I unload about 900 boxes per hour. That's extensive exercising for along period of time. Plus I can't even tell you how many squats I do per hour as I have to squat down to pick up boxes off the floor of the truck and place them up on a conveyor belt. Would this be similar to a runner training? Would I have to consume a lot of bulk carbs for energy? Under normal conditions, were I not working this job, I have a hard time losing weight due to carbs. I do much better on a low carb, high protein diet. But working this job, plus all the walking I do in a day <walking my son to school, walking a mile to catch the bus, walking 1/4 mile from the stop to my job, and vice versa> I was told I would need A LOT of carbs for energy. Is this so? Please help! I don't want to cause my body any damage internally.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Do you have that study bookmarked where people lost more weight eating a lot of carbs at dinner?

Taking the infini-quotes off.

I have not gotten around to looking into this study further so it may not be totally compelling and I am happy to be corrected if there is something I am missing, but it does seem to indicate some benefits of eating more carbs later in the day as compared to earlier.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    I went to a nutrionist and she said to spread your carbs out throught the day.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    First off, carbs are not "bad foods". They are less necessary and efficient than fat and protein when it comes to what your body can do with them, but that does not make them poison. Fruits and vegetables are not bad for you because they are carbohydrate based. Grain is fortified with a lot of vitamins and minerals that are good for you. Fiber is essential to a healthy digestive system. And the occasional spoonful of sugar won't kill you.

Now, to answer your question. It doesn't matter when you eat which nutrient as long as you get everything you need. However, when I eat a lot of carbs in one sitting, I get headaches and feel super tired and lethargic. I don't know if this happens to you, but personally it's why I wouldn't have all my carbs in a window of 3-4 hours. If you are healthy and not super-sensitive to things like I am, though, I'd say it's not a problem.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Re: box loading for hours on end--Is your heart rate elevated continuously? If so, you are doing aerobic exercise by definition, and just happen to be getting paid for it. Sustaining your heart rate at an elevated level will prompt your body to more naturally want to burn carbs. If you starve it of carbs, or keep them to a lower or moderate level, it will mobilize fat instead, but a lot of people crash or have energy level/binge issues when doing this.
  • Annzatgoal
    Annzatgoal Posts: 16 Member
    Some folks have a misunderstanding of what is included in the "carb" category, and think it is only bread/grain/cereal etc. Actually, anything that isn't meat/fish/poultry or fat/oil is a carbohydrate. And carbs (since that encapsulates the massive variety of fruit, veggies, grains and dairy) SHOULD make up the largest chunk of a healthy eating regime, around 50%, according to most nutritionists. And of course, such items as beans, which would fall into the carb category, are a great non-meat protein source.

Hope this helps!