Christmas / Thanksgiving are coming....

Options

Replies

• SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Can I have the recipe for your magic gravy? :happy:
    I've been working on making the healthiest possible versions of my Thanksgiving and Christmas treats. My Magic Gravy has been a hit with the family.

The only splurge I will make is my Sausage and sage stuffing. But, the plan is to double the veg half the bread.
  • greggags2
    greggags2 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've got a Holiday Healthy Eating Challenge starting September 25th and lasting until December 25th If anyone wants to join it will help people with support, motivation, and accountability!
  • Missita84
    Missita84 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried about those days. I'll eat whatever I want and not worry about logging them, a couple days aren't going to hurt me in the long run, and I want to enjoy the time with my family without worrying about calories.
    The challenge for me is to avoid all the cookies, fudge, bread, etc. that everyone around me makes and gives away during basically the whole month of December. One day is easy to work around, but when my mom gives me 3 pounds of fudge and a loaf of cinnamon bread, it's going to be hard to resist! And leftovers. Again, it's fine if it's one day, but I don't want leftovers to turn Thanksgiving into a whole week of overindulging!
  • treechic93
    treechic93 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would sugget my method but it's nearly too depressing to offer. In my life for the first time this holiday I'm officially gluten intollerant and lactose intollerant. So unless I make special things to take to my family gatherings just for me to eat I'm going to be eating some plain turkey breast, pickles, and plain veggies if there are any not coated in a thick creamy sauces.

Regarding a couple of things I've learned in my life of healthier eating I will say to only splurge on things that you only enjoy once per year, like your grandmas famous pecan pie or something like that. Don't go overboard on rolls and potatoes because we can have those whenever we want really.

And if I can suggest something.. don't put candy in the kids' stockings...we find little fun cheap toys or stickers or temporary tatoos to fill them and then on top a large bright orange to keep them from seeing what's underneath. Just a thought. Have a great holiday season!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Putting on 5 pounds every year and not taking it off is what got me here in the first place. I am not going back.

I like the idea of 1 treat after dinner only! That will be hard when I am baking, but I'm going to try.

Probably step up my workouts, not so much how long but rather than 3 a week, bump it up to 5.

Therapy is good too, I may need that :)
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I'll probably be staying off the forums more because I get so freaking sick of all the threads like this. It's ridiculous to think you're going to ruin your diet in one or two days. Get over it and enjoy the damn holiday.

Well do pardon me for posting a simple question. If you get 'so freaking sick of all the threads like this' why not ignore them instead of being so hostile answering them?

I believe a guy posted this! The same kind that isn't the one cooking, cleaning , shopping, baking, wrapping, and organizing the entire holiday to make it nice for our families....need I say more!
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating whatever my heart desires on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Christmas Eve.

There is no way that those days will make a difference in the long run. I would just rather enjoy the food and spending time with my family on the holidays rather than worry about calories.

^^^This plus just work it off.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'll probably be staying off the forums more because I get so freaking sick of all the threads like this. It's ridiculous to think you're going to ruin your diet in one or two days. Get over it and enjoy the damn holiday.

Well do pardon me for posting a simple question. If you get 'so freaking sick of all the threads like this' why not ignore them instead of being so hostile answering them?

I believe a guy posted this! The same kind that isn't the one cooking, cleaning , shopping, baking, wrapping, and organizing the entire holiday to make it nice for our families....need I say more!

:huh:
    ignorant much megladgrl?!?!?
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    i pretty much eat the same year round. 2 or 3 days ain't going to ruin my body :)
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I intend to enjoy a little bit of everything. I'm usually so stuffed after those meals anyway that I probably won't snack on too many unhealthy things. Turkey is my biggest weakness at those dinners.
  • Christina_3192
    Christina_3192 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am going to enjoy every single delicious bite of my thanksgiving dinner.

My family doesn't really do an elaborate Christmas dinner.

But thanksgiving, sweet baby jeebus, I will eat EVERYTHING! and LOVE it.

I just plan on hiking up the death hill by my house the few days leading up to the food fest :D
    And then working off what I ate.
  • scm122
    Options
    i plan on eating thanksgiving dinner til i'm sick! that way i won't want anymore & i'll feel horrible for doing it. i can't eat a lot at once now anyway, so that will help.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    I am going to eat 2nds and 3rds. Possibly 4ths if there are leftovers.
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat ALL the food! And throw a few 5k runs in there somewhere. :flowerforyou:
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I am going to eat 2nds and 3rds. Possibly 4ths if there are leftovers.

FTW
  • howdeelightful
    Options
    I plan on eating whatever my heart desires on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Christmas Eve.

There is no way that those days will make a difference in the long run. I would just rather enjoy the food and spending time with my family on the holidays rather than worry about calories.

I agree completely with this! As long as I am staying on track the rest of the time, then what are those few days really going to do to me??

Although, I have 5 total days. The 3 listed, plus a family Christmas and New Year's Eve. :smile:
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the holidays with friends and family, and enjoy small portions of the foods that people only make during that time. Nothing is off limits, but moderation is key for me during this time.
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options

Looks like the grinch came early

Yep!!!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat what I normally eat, but small portions. I also plan to take it in stride if I go over on my calories for the holidays. I'm in it for the long haul, which means holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. come every year.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Pretty much in agreement with most everyone here; I'm dedicated most of the time, and having a huge blow out day now and again not only DOESN'T hurt me, it usually ends up helping me drop an extra pound or three. :)

It DOES effect me if I let it carry over into multiple days, so I treat holidays as just that... holiDAYS, not holiWEEKS.

Besides, this year I'll be working on Christmas/New Years, so it's business as usual. Thanksgiving I'm going to eat like a pig! I'll be dining at a friend's house and traveling 10 hours home the next day so I'll be unable to eat leftovers, which is the trouble spot anyway.