SHOCKING!!! Health Screening Vegetarian to Paleo Comparison

Options
My company, Hilcorp Energy Company, is awesome for many reasons one of them being our free annunal health screenings. Since I started working with them last April, I've had two screenings to date. The interesting thing is that I changed my diet from Vegetarian to Paleo just after last year's screening so the change in the numbers from 2011 to this year is 100% attributed to diet!

2011 2012 Healthy Range
Diet Vegetarian (2 years prior) Paleo (Beginning Oct. '11) n/a
Height 67 inches (5' 7") 67.25" (5' 7.25") [+.25"] n/a
Weight 160 154 (!!!) [-6 lbs!!!]
BMI 25 24 [-1] 18.5-24.9
WaistCircumference 29.5 29 [-.5] <35
Blood Pressure 128/75 mmHg 122/74 [-6/-1] <120/80
Total Cholesterol 198 mg/dl 190 [-8] 100-199
HDL (healthy) Cholesterol 87 mg/dl 99 [+12!!!] >50
LDL (bad) Cholesterol 95 mg/dl 79 mg/dl [-16!!!!!!!!] <100
Triglycerides 75 mg/dl 57 mg/dl [-18!!!!!!] 45-149
Risk Ratio 2.3 1.9 <4.4
Fasting Glucose 92 mg/dl 95 mg/dl [+3*] 50-99
*I took my daily multivitamin this morning which contains 5g of sugar

WOW is all I can say!!! Changing from a Vegetarian diet to a Paleo diet CLEARLY changed ALL my paramenters (except glucose, see * above) in the positive direction! So all that B.S. about eating eggs, bacon, fatty foods, red meat, and other things with lots of cholesterol is A TOTAL CROCK!!! My "bad" cholesterol leves went down and my "good" cholesterol levels went up!!!! Also, eating fats clearly don't make you fat; look at my triglyceride levels!!! WOW I am seriously blown away!
Also, check out my weight!!! I haven't stepped on the scale in 2 weeks since adjusting to a healthy and balanced life after the Whole30 and SURPRISE!!! I dropped weight!!! Amazing!!!!! I was all prepared to just be happy with maintaining the 160lb range for a year, but this was a plesant surprise!

For those wondering, the Risk Ratio is the Total Cholesterol/HDL number. so 190/99=1.91. Less than 4.4 is a healthy ratio.

The table looks pretty-er here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AggieCass09/view/shocking-the-numbers-dont-lie-vegetarian-to-paleo-comparison-423960

Replies

• KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Love it!!!
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Great results!! This is another reason I'm glad you shared Paleo with me!!
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Interesting!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    So all that B.S. about eating eggs, bacon, fatty foods, red meat, and other things with lots of cholesterol is A TOTAL CROCK!!!

Correct.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How does the fact that you've been busting yoru *kitten* at the gym during that time play into the conversation? Surely it's not only diet causing those changes?
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    excellent....
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    This doesn't mean anything, really.

We don't know exactly what you were eating as a vegetarian to meet your nutritional requirements. Some vegetarians are incredibly unhealthy and obese, after all! I highly doubt you were eating a diet HIGH in veg, fruit, legumes, nuts, seeds with some wholegrains & whole, sugar-free dairy + eggs...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm sure losing weight didn't do anything for better results, it's all the Paleo diet
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Clearly, you've found something that works for you :smile:
    (Although, I must say that my blood markers were spot on after my last health screening. And I'm 42 and have been a vegetarian for the last 15 years.)
  • fitsin10
    Options
    bump
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for sharing.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    awesome as always !!!
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm in no way defending a vegatarian diet but seriously you have no doubt been eating better, excercising and changing your lifestyle for the better for the last year so of course all of your stats are going to change. Go ahead switch back to veg for a year but continue to exercise, and choose healthy, I bet you'll see great results again anyway
  • rmf626
    Options
    As others have pointed out, you need to take into consideration ALL of the variables. Has nothing else changed but your diet? Were you a healthy eating vegetarian? Did your exercise regimen change? Weight? If more than one variable changed, you can't necessarily attribute the changes in values to Paleo alone.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been friends with Aggie for a long time, and I can say that she's pretty much ALWAYS busted her *kitten* at the gym. I'm not a Paleo person, but she's clearly found something that she can adhere to and be happy with, so cheers. :drinker:
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Every night before I go to bed I eat 4 girl scout thin mints and I consistantly lose about 2lbs a week, thank you thin mints!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How does the fact that you've been busting yoru *kitten* at the gym during that time play into the conversation? Surely it's not only diet causing those changes?

Well, I've been friends with Aggie for a long time, and I can say that she's pretty much ALWAYS busted her *kitten* at the gym. I'm not a Paleo person, but she's clearly found something that she can adhere to and be happy with, so cheers. :drinker:

As have I... But I do remember her making a shift more towards strength training a while back, no? I'm not pro or con paleo (or veg, for that matter), I just think posting a bunch of numbers and then giving full credit to the diet is at best incomplete.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Every night before I go to bed I eat 4 girl scout thin mints and I consistantly lose about 2lbs a week, thank you thin mints!

I am intrigued by your thin mint diet and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    a8f73469-81c9-4b8e-b5c8-ba4ebcde372b.jpg
  • babs24
    babs24 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Haha this is AWESOME You're my hero