Tattoo Healing Ointment - Tell me what you use!

Options

Replies

• dirtydmvkid
    Options
    I've always used A/D ointment, available in the first aid or baby care aisles.
    I've used this for every single tattoo I have. No complaints.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Tattoo Goo. Comes in a little tin and works great. Second choice is A&D. You can start using regular body lotion after a few weeks.

^this^
  • imlewer
    Options

^^^This is the correct answer^^^

Have been told by multiple artists.

Not true, A&D can pull out the ink. A good option is unscented lotion, even better with oatmeal. Or the better is to use something like H2Ocean, you can get that from most of the nicer shops.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    A&D every time.
  • bermudamel
    Options
    I used A/D ointment for my last one, it worked the best.
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    I have used
    -"Tattoo Goo"
    -"H2Ocean cream"

No issues with either :)
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    dont use bactirin. its crap. I have 28 VERY colorful tats and the only thing I EVER use to heal it is bag balm. Thats it. I wouldnt use all that other crap, it will just pull the ciolor out

wow...and here i was thinkin i was the only bag balm user in this thread :)

bag balm for me and then unscented lotion (which i always use...fresh tats or not)
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Aquaphor!!!!!!! I only used that for the first couple days, and then at night a few days after that. The rest of the time I used unscented lotion... I think it was Aveeno, 3-4 times a day.
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I was told to keep my bandage on for an hour, then to take it off, rinse it under lukewarm water and use a soft washcloth with anti-bacterial soap to sponge off (by lightly dabbing the area with the soapy washcloth, DO NOT RUB IT) excess blood/plasma/ink, then rinse it off and gently pat it dry with a soft towel.

Following that, I used a TINY, and I mean REALLY tiny amount of A&D ointment on it twice a day for the first three days. Just enough to give it a light shine, first thing in the morning and before bed. Don't ever re-bandage it because it needs to be exposed to air in order to heal. Yeah, that means it will stick to your clothes, blankets, and sheets when you sleep, but you can always use the soap/warm water routine in the morning to remove lint and fuzz and whatnot. When it flakes and scabs, don't pick at it or scratch it. I picked scabs off my most recent one and had to go back for touch ups because I pulled color out. If it itches, slap it. It will sting, but it takes the itch away.

For one week after the A&D ointment, I took Aquaphor lotion everywhere with me and used it as often as I needed for moisturizer, but again, just enough to give it a light shine. The tattoo drank it up like crazy, so I used probably once every 3-4 hours. I have three tattoos and this is what I did for all of them. The one on my upper back, I had to ask my boyfriend for help with cleaning and moisturizing but it worked out well. And if it got itchy at all, I made sure I had a full shirt on (not a tank top) and I would go bear-style and scratch my back against a rounded corner of a piece of furniture lol.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I used a laser on one It got it looking how I wanted it.
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I got a huge one on my foot 2 months ago, I used antibacterial wipes for one week and a thin layer of regular cream...this is what I was told, the tattoo looks great.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

This, A/D is the only stuff that I've used that keeps them from scabbing over and drying out.

Same here....pics in profile.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I got more work done on my back piece and from the beginning of time I've been using bacitracin. It works well but can be kind of messy. I use it for the first 3 days and then usually switch over to lotion.

I ordered some new stuff called H20 and it came in a box with 3 diff items. One was a blue/green soup, lotion type product, and then a nightime foam. Has anyone used this? I haven't tried it yet but I have it at home.
    http://aftercare.h2ocean.com/tattoo/ultimate-tattoo-care/

What else are people using for their tattoos? Bacitracin works well but it leaves a mess on shirts you wear. Now that I'm getting multiple sittings I can't always take off work and I don't want to ruin my clothing. Today I'm wearing a shirt I don't normally wear so that works out well but I'd like to find something that works w/out leaving a mess.

I was talking to a guy with a LOT of very vibrant looking tattoos. None were faded looking at all. He said the trick is to not use anything on them after getting your tattoo. Just let them heal on their own. The only thing to watch for is not picking at them when they get itchy. Sure enough, I went from using tattoo goo to nothing and all of the new ones look much more vibrant.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    My tattoo artist instructed me to not use ointments on my tats. And every artist is going to tell you something different... I did use unscented lotion after the peeling started, but nothing before.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    A+D is known to actually harm the colors of your ink when they are in the freshest stage so for the list of you swearing by it you may want to step out of 1990 and get on the bus with the newer techniques. Aquaphor is excellent as is a good high end water based perfume/dye free skin moisturizer, If you are at your local tattoo shop Tattoo Goo is good but Ink Fixx is better. With the thicker ones though(aquaphor, goo, and fixx) this really should only be applied for the first few days to protect what is essentially an open wound, after that you should switch to moisturizer so your skin can breathe and heal better. If you are a tanning bed junkie feel free to use whatever you want because you probably picked a dumb *kitten* tattoo design and in a few months your ink will be ruined anyway. Cheers! :drinker:
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    a&d at first and then I love tattoo goo
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Aquaphor.

My husband uses this.
  • ksemien
    ksemien Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Aquaphor for me!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Bepantham (a nappy cream) is great and coconut oil
  • ShaeSweetie
    ShaeSweetie Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My tattoo artist used A&D on meee..then i used aquaphor on my ownn but just a little bit! dont smother the tattoo! Then i used jergens non scented healinggg creamm..it came outt awesome!!