Tattoo Healing Ointment - Tell me what you use!

Options

Replies

• mommy1126
    mommy1126 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have used A&D Ointment, Tattoo Goo & Vitamin E Cream. They all worked well.
  • snoopy7501
    snoopy7501 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Aquaphor as well, on the recommendation of my artist. Morning and night for the first week to prevent infection, after washing with a non-scented antibacterial soap, then once a day for a few days to keep the skin from drying out, then every other day for the rest of the second week. After that, it's all healed, and nothing else is necessary.

On a similar note, I've heard more than once that whenever your tattoo sees the sunlight, you should put sunscreen on it to keep the colors from fading. Is this true?
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I've always used A/D ointment, available in the first aid or baby care aisles.

That's the one!
  • BriskaPacojame
    Options
    Glycerine. Or Aquaphor.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I use aquaphor the first week... AUQUAPHOR was recommended to me by all my tattoo artists ... Then I use lubriderm (no dye no scent) until it's done flaking. Hubby does the same.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    On a similar note, I've heard more than once that whenever your tattoo sees the sunlight, you should put sunscreen on it to keep the colors from fading. Is this true?

YES. Always sunscreen your tattoos!! I put spf 50 on mine when I'm out in the sun.
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    vitamin A & D Ointment, good stuff! also good for cuts and scrapes..... and cuticles when the nail tech has dug into the corner of your toe too deep!
  • ekvaladez
    Options
    only use LOTION....ointments will pull the color out. basic unscented lotion....a few times per day
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i leave it with a bandage on for 3 hour, then wash it with scentless soap gently without rubbing to remove the excess ink, then once dry (let dry naturaly or sponge the excess water with a cloth but dont rub) i put aveeno cream on it, it is the most natural cream you can find, scent less and it has oats in that really hydrate your skin and ease the pain and itchyness

thats what ever worked the most for me, when i use aveeno cream on other wounds it tends to heal faster too

hope that helps

oh and an other thing, for a whole week , try not to rub it with a cloth even in the shower to wash the tattoo area only use your hand ans scentless soap, and dont put a bandage on it after the 3 first hours, let it breathe :)
    avoid the sun and dont take baths for a week :)
  • hopsonc24
    hopsonc24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Ive used A&D ointment on all 10 of mine and have never had any issues. Thats what I would recommend
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    cocoa butter..looks great and feels great!
  • cvandercook
    cvandercook Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Aquaphore
  • veepie
    veepie Posts: 103
    Options
    vaseline and bepanthen (nappy cream)

and aloe vera :)
  • loveYOUmore319
    loveYOUmore319 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I kept my bandange on for a max of 12 hours. I rinsed it off and used A&D ointment on it and I applied it every time it felt like It was dry and I did that for 7 days. After 7 days I did it only in the morning and at night. After that it should be healed and I just use fragrance free lotion on it whenever I get out of the shower. Tattoo shops will want you to use their products but I have 6 tatts and I've done the same thing every time and it has worked. :)
  • ellie931
    ellie931 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i use tattoo goo :)
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The last tattoo - I used Aquafor. Different artists will recommend different things. Just make sure that the tattoo can breathe by applying a thin layer of whatever you decide. If you smother it, or keep it covered, it will pull the ink out while healing and you will have splotches of loss color.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    My bf says H2O is best...he's an artist. However after the first few days I use the same stuff that I use on my face. Ponds...moisturizes best for the dry part of the healing.
  • MissLuana
    Options
    Neosporin

Heals it fast, not too greasy and takes away a lot of the tenderness.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I use Aquaphor and then put telfa pads on to cover to protect my clothing.. it works great and heals faster and better then anything else I have used. We also use Aquaphor for patients under going radiation treatments for the radiation burs they receive.. Also, FYI with being a nurse I'm on my feet a lot and I had each of my feet tattooed and this helped immensely.
  • aimeerocksx3
    Options
    For my latest I've just used unscented lotion I got from Walgreens.

BUT I've heard from various people that preparation H works really well too. I'm just to embarrassed to buy *kitten* cream :)