Impossible to eat healthy when in debt

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• Zoot_suits
    Zoot_suits Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I stock up when meats go on sale, we eat a lot of chicken!!! When it hits 79 cents a LB I stock the freezer full of chicken breasts.

Veggies I do the same thing, if say cabbage is on sale ( normally 39cents LB when it is) I will cooked it, freeze it and make a million meals out of it.

The boys and I love beans, dried beans are usually 1.29 for a bag, and it's enough to make several meals out of for the 4 of us > :)

Frugal is my life, and I am trying to pay down debt also.

Priorities, Priorities, Priorities!!!
  • steenslaw
    Options
    I am so tired of people saying they can't eat healthy on a budget. If you make a meal of healthy ingredients it costs much less than if you eat crap. It's been proven over and over again. It looks more expensive, but when you break it down...one half onion = $.15, two garlic clove =$.02, one half pound chicken thighs = $4, one can tomatoes =$1, couple sprinkles dried basil =$.02, can of chickpeas = $1.5. Whole meal = $6.69 I'm not sure how that is expensive. It might look expensive to buy a whole thing of dried basil or load up the spice rack, so do it a few at a time. It's not difficult. This is just someone who doesn't want to eat healthy and is using money to avoid it.
    Sorry, don't mean to be an *kitten*, but I've been having this argument with people for years now.

It sounds like to me that the ideas for the healthy options - your wife has issues with, right? Maybe you need to find a middle ground and focus on YOUR heath and what you need. If it's $4 worth of burgers, maybe you can spend $2 on some rice and beans for yourself....

I went vegan almost a month ago and I found that our grocery bill went way down...keep in mind that my partner is still eating meat - but no dairy products in the house....

There's always a way to figure things out...remember - money is the BIGGEST thing that comes between couples....
  • steenslaw
    Options
    Don't go all wonder bread and salt and salami sandwhiches, but you may have to buy frozen corn instead of Certified Organic Corn Picked by Naked Native Americans who are also crying because of the Environment brand.

HAHA, I LOVE THAT!!!!!
  • ribena1958
    Options
    Forgive an older lady for butting in here. But reading your profile page and then reading some of the comments on here there are lots of very good suggestions that people have made to help you. However, at the risk of getting shot down hahaha I feel it starts at the beginning. Your wife and you do not agree. End off. No, that is just the beginning, I think you and her should sit down CALMLY and discuss a budget that fits in with the debts. Suggest she writes to each company that you are in debt with and ask for reduced payments. Monthly bills are one thing that has to be paid, IE Utility bills and the rent/mortgage. But defo a budget of your finances need to be sat down and recalculated to give it some stretch.

As for eating healthily, my family and are on disability benefits. I have had to do the same as I suggested above and find if I could reduce my payments.

I do not shop in one store anymore. Its cheaper to shop at a butchers for your meat, veg shop for your fruit and veg. A grain store for your rice etc

We have cheaper shops in the UK like Lidle and Aldi, and tin things are cheaper mostly in those stores. I don't use fuel to shop around as I have got myself in a sequence of shops now and go to one at one week, and another at another time. Thus saving costs of fuel.

I see also that you say you are autistic, could this be why you wife feels she has to control the purse strings?
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    This thread stopped being about you when you posted a question that affects a lot of people. There are some great tips on this thread, and you can pick and choose those that apply to you.

But when I see your attitude, it's your wife that gets my sympathy.

With $80/week, you can set up a great stockpile of good foods that you have to cook from scratch. If you were to have great meals on the table when she comes home from work, she would not feel the need to put the family in the car to go shell out another few dollars at Macdonalds.

Instead she comes home to an empty table and a pouting husband whose sense of self-entitlement is over the top.

Change the script. Have a good tasty meal ready when she comes home. Max out the $80. Share the info on the food budget with her. If you do a good job as cook and communicator, who is to say that she won't give you another $20?

As far as your delicate stomach is concerned, there is a no-gluten group on MFP where you could get great advice.

As for the rest, folks these were some great tips, and I am sure that we have all learned how to better spend our food dollar from this exercise.

Great reply minus the assumption that I don't have dinner on the table when she comes home and more or less implying that I'm a lazy dead beat. Why is it SOME women can't speak to a man without personal bias or perpetuating stereotypes?

I cook every meal that the family eats and have for over a month now. It is ready at or before the time that everyone expects. The reason she wants fast food is because of her addiction/cravings and because she sincerely thinks $1 burgers for everyone is cheaper than a home cooked meal. Of course she isn't concerned about malnutrition, stunted growth, hormonal imbalances, diabetes, ADHD flares, arthritis, or high blood pressure like I am.

My wife is also very "idealistic" which is a fancy way of saying she has "unreasonable expectations". If she is going to have a home cooked meal, she doesn't want chicken, rice, beans, or pork; she wants ribs, steak, premium cut beef sirloin, and premium "game"! In her mind, a meal at home should be just as luxurious and should taste like a meal that came from a 5 star restaurant.

I'm sorry that I'm not choosing to "be a man" and take your passive aggressive remark on the chin but this is the sexist bias that needs to be corrected. Saying "Instead she comes home to an empty table and a pouting husband whose sense of self-entitlement is over the top" implies some personal issues with men because not once in this thread did I even closely insinuate that meals aren't cooked by the time she gets home, so where the hell did this come from if it wasn't from personal issues with your own husband or with the stereotypical male? Perhaps you should get to know the stranger you're talking about before you make false accusations. I treat my wife like a princess in every single aspect of our life EXCEPT money; so before you call someone a selfish and "self entitled jerk" I want you to carefully interrogate your subject to get the information you seek before you make ASSUMPTIONS.

And yes, I understand that this thread is probably being viewed by a lot of people who are not commenting and it is helping them with getting ideas on how to survive on a low budget. But the point here isn't survival. The point I was trying to make is living a higher quality of life than just "surviving". Surviving on a budget is absolutely do-able and I never said that people couldn't "survive" on $80/week. Hell, I could feed my entire family of 4 on $30/week!!! But you and I both know how miserable we all would be and how macronutrient deficient we all would be eating that poor. And it's not JUST about hitting your macros, it's about hitting your macros with quality foods! While I could easily stuff my non-gluten allergy child with $0.49 white bread for a week, the nutritional quality of that $0.49 bread is absolutely the pits! No trace of bran, no fortified vitamins, not even real sugar! The food is absolutely garbage and should have never been invented.

So the point again of this thread is the argument between my wife and I that not enough money is going towards our debt because food costs are so high. So because clearing the debt was more important than eating, she stole my money for food and paid our debt off... And while I bet I could find food that would accommodate the new budget, it's going to reduce the cognitive, physical, and emotional function of the entire family eating less quality foods and more empty calories to fill our calories up. I respect her conservative and republican-minded upbringing to pay off debts and follow the "safe path" to her goals in life (which is to be debt free); but she is not respecting my liberal and democratic-minded upbringing to taking care of the people we are responsible for and doing things whatever way that we need to in order to get the needs of each person met. You could say that my marriage is a very "Yin-Yang" arrangement where we argue most of the time since our priorities are often in opposite directions; but this is a good way to keep each other "in check" when we are being too "idealistic" about our own beliefs and goals.

Excuse me, but you are making assumptions of your own, like you are the only one who has ever lived in your situation. Not so! Without divulging the details of my personal life, I can say that I speak from long,long experience.

So, you have been cooking for just over a month, with the meals on the table when she comes home. Good for you. Keep it up. And there is no reason why you cannot cook better than you can eat out. When men get into cooking, they don't cook like a mom, but like a chef. Go to the public library and get your self some cook books. Try Indian cooking. Once you begin cooking rice with cinamon sticks and cardamon pods or mustard seeds, you wife will rediscover rice. And with proper technique, cheaper cuts of meat can be real flavorful. Your wife's idealistic expectations of eating better at home than in a restaurant can be met if you put your mind to it.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    This thread stopped being about you when you posted a question that affects a lot of people. There are some great tips on this thread, and you can pick and choose those that apply to you.

But when I see your attitude, it's your wife that gets my sympathy.

With $80/week, you can set up a great stockpile of good foods that you have to cook from scratch. If you were to have great meals on the table when she comes home from work, she would not feel the need to put the family in the car to go shell out another few dollars at Macdonalds.

Instead she comes home to an empty table and a pouting husband whose sense of self-entitlement is over the top.

Change the script. Have a good tasty meal ready when she comes home. Max out the $80. Share the info on the food budget with her. If you do a good job as cook and communicator, who is to say that she won't give you another $20?

As far as your delicate stomach is concerned, there is a no-gluten group on MFP where you could get great advice.

As for the rest, folks these were some great tips, and I am sure that we have all learned how to better spend our food dollar from this exercise.

Great reply minus the assumption that I don't have dinner on the table when she comes home and more or less implying that I'm a lazy dead beat. Why is it SOME women can't speak to a man without personal bias or perpetuating stereotypes?

I cook every meal that the family eats and have for over a month now. It is ready at or before the time that everyone expects. The reason she wants fast food is because of her addiction/cravings and because she sincerely thinks $1 burgers for everyone is cheaper than a home cooked meal. Of course she isn't concerned about malnutrition, stunted growth, hormonal imbalances, diabetes, ADHD flares, arthritis, or high blood pressure like I am.

My wife is also very "idealistic" which is a fancy way of saying she has "unreasonable expectations". If she is going to have a home cooked meal, she doesn't want chicken, rice, beans, or pork; she wants ribs, steak, premium cut beef sirloin, and premium "game"! In her mind, a meal at home should be just as luxurious and should taste like a meal that came from a 5 star restaurant.

I'm sorry that I'm not choosing to "be a man" and take your passive aggressive remark on the chin but this is the sexist bias that needs to be corrected. Saying "Instead she comes home to an empty table and a pouting husband whose sense of self-entitlement is over the top" implies some personal issues with men because not once in this thread did I even closely insinuate that meals aren't cooked by the time she gets home, so where the hell did this come from if it wasn't from personal issues with your own husband or with the stereotypical male? Perhaps you should get to know the stranger you're talking about before you make false accusations. I treat my wife like a princess in every single aspect of our life EXCEPT money; so before you call someone a selfish and "self entitled jerk" I want you to carefully interrogate your subject to get the information you seek before you make ASSUMPTIONS.

And yes, I understand that this thread is probably being viewed by a lot of people who are not commenting and it is helping them with getting ideas on how to survive on a low budget. But the point here isn't survival. The point I was trying to make is living a higher quality of life than just "surviving". Surviving on a budget is absolutely do-able and I never said that people couldn't "survive" on $80/week. Hell, I could feed my entire family of 4 on $30/week!!! But you and I both know how miserable we all would be and how macronutrient deficient we all would be eating that poor. And it's not JUST about hitting your macros, it's about hitting your macros with quality foods! While I could easily stuff my non-gluten allergy child with $0.49 white bread for a week, the nutritional quality of that $0.49 bread is absolutely the pits! No trace of bran, no fortified vitamins, not even real sugar! The food is absolutely garbage and should have never been invented.

So the point again of this thread is the argument between my wife and I that not enough money is going towards our debt because food costs are so high. So because clearing the debt was more important than eating, she stole my money for food and paid our debt off... And while I bet I could find food that would accommodate the new budget, it's going to reduce the cognitive, physical, and emotional function of the entire family eating less quality foods and more empty calories to fill our calories up. I respect her conservative and republican-minded upbringing to pay off debts and follow the "safe path" to her goals in life (which is to be debt free); but she is not respecting my liberal and democratic-minded upbringing to taking care of the people we are responsible for and doing things whatever way that we need to in order to get the needs of each person met. You could say that my marriage is a very "Yin-Yang" arrangement where we argue most of the time since our priorities are often in opposite directions; but this is a good way to keep each other "in check" when we are being too "idealistic" about our own beliefs and goals.

Excuse me, but you are making assumptions of your own, like you are the only one who has ever lived in your situation. Not so! Without divulging the details of my personal life, I can say that I speak from long,long experience.

So, you have been cooking for just over a month, with the meals on the table when she comes home. Good for you. Keep it up. And there is no reason why you cannot cook better than you can eat out. When men get into cooking, they don't cook like a mom, but like a chef. Go to the public library and get your self some cook books. Try Indian cooking. Once you begin cooking rice with cinamon sticks and cardamon pods or mustard seeds, you wife will rediscover rice. And with proper technique, cheaper cuts of meat can be real flavorful. Your wife's idealistic expectations of eating better at home than in a restaurant can be met if you put your mind to it.

I gotta ask this... what is more important? The war you have with conservative/republican vs liberal/democratic thinking? Or the simple solution of how to put good/healthy foods on the table on a tight budget?

Honestly speaking here - politics have nothing to do with any of your problems with your wife... Thats a hostile approach that has no bearing, nor any importance whatsoever.... This willingness to allow that type of 'stress' will significantly stall any efforts for weight loss, health, personal health, mental stability, etc.

So, set aside the political banter - its really useless and a waste of precious energy...

Yes, people can eat healthy on a budget restriction. You have to be street-smart and know who has the better prices, sales, when bulk purchases will be better vs purchasing smaller amounts as you need them.

Not all meals have to have an animal protein. Every now and then a hearty three bean-vegetable soup hits the spot for breakfast for me. There is a wonderful Indian soup called "Dahl" (also Daal), that uses lentils, fresh chopped tomato, onion, a variety of spices. I like to add celery, carrot, spinach to make it a more heartier soup. The lentils are CHEAP eats and when you eat them, WOW are they filling!!!! I love getting all of the colors - it makes the soup very eye-appealing!

We eat everything from scratch at home and everything is made fresh from scratch - even my own marinara. For less than $5.00, maybe $6.00 (depending on the time of year here in NH), I can make about 2.5 gallons of fresh marinara. It gets frozen into quart containers for future use.

Often you can find frozen vegetables (the variety with absolutely nothing added to it) - often the store brand, where it will be cheaper than the fresh variety. We have one store where a 1lb bag of frozen bell pepper strips is only $1.00 - THAT is a true bargain!

When you purchase your meats, save all of the bones, scraps and their natural juices and put them in a freezer bag. When you have enough, take them out and boil the hell out of them. Any vegetable scraps (the ends of celery, carrots, onions, zucchini, peppers, etc) add that to the pot. Throw in some spices, even garlic. Boil for a good 6-8hrs, replenishing the water. By the time its done, strain it, and you will have a very large batch of fresh stock. You can freeze it just like the marinara suggestion, use it for future soups, stews, gravies, or even something as simple as warming up a cup of broth when that is all you are in the mood for... that is stretching your monetary investment in food to every penny spent. No waste!

It is ALWAYS possible to eat healthy even in debt.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    A giant bag of rice and frozen veggies is pretty damn cheap!
  • qnofharts
    Options
    Its amazing how many fresh veggies you can get for $10 at the farmer's market! That coupled with some rice and a lean protein makes one amazing stirfry! and instead of buying your sauces at the grocery store, head to the Asian or European food stores. Same or better quality stir fry sauces for much cheaper!
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, mobile phones are a luxury and eating healthy is a necessity. My wife seems to feel the other way around (she's an internet addict with her smart phone).
    [/quote]

Wow! never heard of this Mint.com...i checked it out and it seems great! thanks for putting it out there! :)
  • chocolateluvr80
    chocolateluvr80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but there is a blog that my husband found a while ago called budget bytes http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com. That has recipes with cost breakdown. I also agree that farmers markets are a good way to go. I am not sure how late the markets are open in your area. Where I used to live (the frozen tundra of Minnesota) they were only open until mid-to-late september. Here in MD they are open until october. My husband is a big fan of aldi (two pounds of grapes for $1.98- holla!). I would say that your biggest tool would be planning. Find healthy items on sale and plan the rest of your meals around those items. I hope that had been helpful.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Its amazing how many fresh veggies you can get for $10 at the farmer's market! That coupled with some rice and a lean protein makes one amazing stirfry! and instead of buying your sauces at the grocery store, head to the Asian or European food stores. Same or better quality stir fry sauces for much cheaper!

or to save even more money - make your own sauces...
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Expensive organic vegetables are 7 to 8 times more likely to make you sick from bacteria. And multiple studies have found they do not have higher nutrient content.

Us organic converts are not looking at the bacteria. For the meat, we are looking for animals who haven't been injected with hormones to speed up their development, that they are free from antibiotics, and for the fruit and veg that we are limited the pesticides we ingest.

For some of us (like my family) it was a very expensive switch but 100% for health reasons.

I sympathise with the OP because I'm in the same position, but I've cut back on other things instead, and changed the way we eat in terms of portions etc. We also grow some of our own veg when we can, organically. That's not easy (especially with this summer's slug-fest), and it's made me appreciate why organically produced food is so much more expensive.

The organic market in the UK is shrinking. Don't know about the US! Unfortunately I just have to wait and see what happens.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    it is possible... its all about what your trying to cook... where you buy ingredients, and how well you plan things..
    markets are the way to go i could buy the meat and veg for a stew for £10 stewing steak - swede, potatoes, carrots, leek, parsnip, onion, others i cant think of right now...and have veg left over for the rest of the week... and it would make a whole pot, it would do me loads of meals (it was just me and the bloke but he wasnt a fan so id usually do him something else) id have some fresh keep some for the next day and freeze a load.

eating in can be as good as eating out! to think that it cant is just silly open a few cook books, you dont need expensive ingredients to make food which tastes just as good!
    x
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Take this to your wife... I went shopping today and thought of this post. I spent $150, but keep in mind I REALLY needed to stock up, we were dangerously low. Most of the stuff will last a month or so, maybe stock back up on a few fresh fruit and veggies... but this is what I had:

5 nectarines
    5 apples
    whole watermelon
    2 backs black beans
    2 loafs of bread
    4 bags of corn tortillas
    20 bananas
    olive oil
    nectresse (a natural 0 calorie sweetner by splenda)
    nectresse packet
    2 large cans of tuna
    large nutella
    large peanut butter
    large bag of almonds
    4 large sweet potatoes
    boysenberry syrup
    black olives
    cinnamon sticks
    2 crystal light pitcher drink mixes
    3lbs tilapia
    1lb shrimp
    4 bags frozen veggies (99cents each, bam)
    organic falx seed waffles - never had these before, thought I'd try. looked interesting
    1 Half Gallon Almond milk
    1 half gallon 1/2 almond 1/2 coconut
    2 "All White" egg whites (32 oz each)
    2 bags of spinach
    large light and fix yogurt
    celery
    large carrots
    2 Romaine Lettuce
    5 Roma tomatoes
    16 oz Mushrooms
    1 lb brussel sprouts
    2 cucumbers
    1 zucchinis
    bag of baby carrots
    green onions
    asparagus
    18 eggs
    Mayo
    strawberries
    2 containers raspberries
    5 limes
    2 red peppers
    2 green peppers
    2 local jams
    pickles
    sauerkraut
    margarine
    garlic
    4 yellow onions
    Valentina hot sauce
    Orzo noodles.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've found that shopping at the Asian Market or Mexican Markets ( I live in an area of CA where there are a lot of different kinds of stores) saves a TON of money! The Asian Market has all the good little sauces and marinades that I like, waaay cheaper than a Safeway or local chain grocery. Same for their produce and things like rice, etc. Examples: I can buy bokchoy at 50c / lb in stead of $2.99 like at the store, or my favorite shiritaki noodles for $1/bag instead of $2.49/bag! All produce is less $
    The Mexican market RULES! Produce is SOOO inexpensive! A large container of strawberries was 99cents last week, compared to $2.99 at Safeway. Large zuchinni- $0.69/lb instead of $1.99/lb. Fresh herb bunches, 3/$1.00 instead of $1 each. I get all of my produce at these markets... you can really stock up!

This whole lot was only about $12-13 ... I was so proud, I took a pic! There's enough potatoes and leeks and an onion there to make a huge pot of potato leek soup- enough for about 8 servings (2-3 days worth!) Strawberries, pears, bananas, sweet potatoes, zucchini, squash, grapes, apples, lettuce, cilantro... ALL FOR ONLY $12-$13!! There is enough here to eat for 5 days or so, meals, snacks, etc... It can be done!!

3484sg0.jpg
  • locaoca
    locaoca Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    OP: Honestly I have read pages 1-8, 13-14 and most of what people said are great ideas to save money. But I as I read I thought 2 things...
    1. I am disabled (and have several dietary issues wheat and dairy mostly) and only DH works. My son is autistic (17), so I get picky eaters. He has problems with textures and chewiness, some food make him gag and throw up if we force him. He only eats frozen pizza and pizza rolls (I usually buy when BOGO). He doesn't eat vegetables or fruit. Only recently started to try ribs and steak. I spend $200 minimum a week on food ($120 just on my two kids) because I can. But if something happened and I needed to cut that budget I would follow everything people have posted here. I know I could cut the budget to 80-100 week if I wanted to. I am lucky that I don't have to cut back.
    2. If I was in your position I would make my spouse do the grocery shopping. I did it once when he was complaining I was spending to much. DH ended up spending over $400, he has never said anything to me about budget again. It would help if she understood what things cost. And if she is still resistant to change her diet to fit the budget, then maybe you guys should go to a financial counselor or debt resolution counselor (most states offer this at low cost or free). As to picky kids, depending on age, you're the parent. You're in charge of them. You have to tell them what is happening. Believe it or not kids understand financial issues and will be comprising if they are older.