Tattoo Healing Ointment - Tell me what you use!

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I've always used A/D ointment, available in the first aid or baby care aisles.

^^^This is the correct answer^^^

Have been told by multiple artists.

Not true, A&D can pull out the ink. A good option is unscented lotion, even better with oatmeal. Or the better is to use something like H2Ocean, you can get that from most of the nicer shops.

Yep. My artist told me that A&D and Neosporin now have peroxide in them and that is why and how it can pull the color out of a healing tattoo.

He recommended Aquaphor, but I used Coconut oil due to its natural healing and antibacterial properties. I went back to see him to make my next session appointment and he told me my tattoo has healed better than most he has ever seen. He asked me if I used the Aquaphor and I told him No, that I used coconut oil and why. He said he was going to start recommending coconut oil
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Neosporin

Heals it fast, not too greasy and takes away a lot of the tenderness.

Also, with Neosporin, mine have always skipped the "peeling" stage too :drinker:

Neosporin is the worst thing to use on a brand new tattoo. It contains peroxide. Great way to strip the color out of a new tattoo.
  • HulkDiesel77
    HulkDiesel77 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Aquaphor always always always!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never vasoline never vasoline never vasoline!!!!!!!!!
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Eucerin cream. I've used it for 2 tattoos. Works soo much better than bactricin. Bactricin made the ink bleed a lil and left stains on my clothing. The Eucerin cream that comes in a tub works great.
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Aquaphor lotion is the best!
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Aquaphor or Preparation H
  • LaylaJo
    LaylaJo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    H2Ocean is awesome. I used it for my piercings (when I had) as well. But coconut oil is fine. Anything that will keep your piece moisturized. do you have a pic of your piece? Would love to see it.
  • Sherri425
    Options
    Aquaphor.

EXACTLY!! I don't know why ppl are sleeping on this product! ;)
  • navywife5810
    navywife5810 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Tattoo Goo & A&D.

In the beginning, i use Tattoo Goo...as it starts to dry out I switch to A&D ointment to help heal the skin faster.
  • eecruzmd
    eecruzmd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have 3 tattoos and I've never used anything but Aveeno Moisturizing Lotion (Dimethicone skin protectant) Fragrance free and I leave it uncovered
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I've only had tattoos in UK and Thailand and they've all recommended Bepanthan, which is a babies nappy rash cream, I think!

Worked for me!

Enjoy the new ink!
  • DaneDillinger
    DaneDillinger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There is no consensus "right" answer. My first artist told me "A&D" ointment. Next artist says "Vaseline." Current artist (who I've been going to for about 5 years now and whose opinion I actually care about) says "No ointment. Just white, unscented lotion. Ointment pulls ink out of the skin during the healing process." I personally agree with my current artist.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Aquafor, super thin layer. I wake up rinse it with warm water, pat dry and put it on, then at the end of the day I shower and wash it with baby soap, or if I was sweaty at all I will use the antibacterial liquid dial or some provon soap, then rinse really well and pat with a towel. apply more aquafor, cover with cotton clothing depending where it is, then bed.
    In the past I have used coacoa butter, tattoo goo, lubriderm, and a&d... aquafor has been the best however it is a tad greasy if you put too much, or dont let it air out before dressing.
  • krissyliz78
    krissyliz78 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Aquaphor always always always!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never vasoline never vasoline never vasoline!!!!!!!!!

:cry:
  • TinaK_64
    Options
    I've just always used A&D ointment on any of mine and I've had no problems with scabbing or anything.
  • deadlights
    Options
    Aquaphor, a very very thin layer.
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I know I'm a bit late on this discussion but...... I'm rather fond of "After Inked", an aftercare lotion you can order online. It's fragrance-free and petroleum-free and does wonders for healing time and color saturation for me personally, and a little goes a looong way (which is good because it's a little pricier) Plus you can use it just like lotion afterwards.
    My second choice is unscented white lotion, like Jergens Ultra Healing, or Aquaphor if I have to. A&D clogs my skin up and gives me rashes.

As for H2Ocean? I NEVER use it for tattoos, just the saline rinse for piercings. I find their tattoo aftercare stuff to dry out my skin faster, and it's watery/oily to boot. But their spray is AMAZING for piercings. Love it for that.
  • shiraLA
    shiraLA Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I use Rex Eme Cream...it's awesome and you only need a little bit.
  • Pnknlvr96
    Pnknlvr96 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have 4. I wash mine with Dial antibacterial soap and then use a thin layer of Nivea lotion a few times a day.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Aquaphor....very thin layer...the ink needs to breath...don't smother it....