Do you use stevia?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Funny thing about Stevia is it's not really a sweetener. It's tricking you into thinking it's sweet.

You'll see what I mean if you use too much-- it tastes disgusting.

But for putting a bit in your tea or smoothie, it's fine. If you're trying to make a mocha with it, well, good luck.

Are you an FDA rep? :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    If I am having something where I need just a little sweetening, I use real sugar. A teaspoonful has less than 20 calories. If I need more, I use Splenda (sucralose) or agave syrup. To me, Stevia has a terrible aftertaste.

Stevia vs. sucralose? They are both processed and it's a toss-up which is "healthier" although some people swear sucralose is poison in a yellow packet. :laugh:

It's all personal preference. To me Spenda tastes like chemicals and you have to brush your teeth to get rid of the flavor.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I used to use it until I became pregnant and my doctor advised against it. I’ve been using splenda ever since.

That is very intriguing, I have heard Splenda is horrible (pure chemicals) so I switched to Stevia.

The reasoning behind my doctor's advice came from the fact there was no long-term research on the affects of stevia on a fetus. It could be harmless but I wasn’t going to risk it.

Your doctor doesn't read anything but American studies, I'll bet. That's typical of American doctors. I used to have to educate my old doctor all the time. :ohwell:
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I've tried. It gives me MAJOR headaches!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I use it in small doses (tsp, tbsp) to sweeten foods/drinks. I don't use it to bake or cook. I really like it. I think it's more powerful than regular sugar.
  • johannawotton
    Options
    I grow it in my garden, dry it and then and use it in tea and other things.
    I buy the liquid drops for other things too. I think it tastes good in tea and stuff but vial in coffee : P
    I would say try it and see. : )
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    So I would like to make another small change to my diet and was wondering if stevia instead of sugar would be a good idea. Do you like it and how do you use it? Thanks
    I have a box of "Stevia in the Raw" packets at home that I use in my tea, but I prefer Splenda essentials w/fiber; I keep a box of those packets at work because I usually drink two cups of tea in the morning at work, whereas at home I'll maybe have a cup in the morning on the weekend.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Stevia is the only natural calorie free sweetener available. Big Sugar and Monsanto blocked FDA approval as a sweetener for over a decade. it was sold as a nutritional supplement only. Because Stevia is natural it cannot be patented.
    Stevia is healthier than sugar and all the other artificial sweeteners.
    It can be used in baking as well because it doesn't break down under heat like some sweeteners do.

The only reason the FDA allows Truvia to be called a sweetener is because it is processed. I hate the FDA! :angry:

They are becoming the new Gestapo, running around health food stores with guns and confiscating milk and cheese. :explode:
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I advise against it...real sugar is better then fake.. Both are bad

There is nothing fake about stevia. It is a naturally sweet herb that it 30 times sweeter than sugar.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options

There is nothing fake about stevia. It is a naturally sweet herb that it 30 times sweeter than sugar.

Read the threaf before you post
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Read the threaf before you post

Do your homework before forming an opinion. *shrugs*
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I had a really bad reaction to Stevia. I had started doing Ideal Protein and they wanted us to use it. I was on IP for about 3 days before I purchased the Stevia. I started having bad stomach pains that kept me up most of the night and I thought I was dying. I thought it was the new diet, but it continued. My blood pressure went up and I just felt bad all over. Then one of my friend's daughters who is diabetic used it and she had the same problem. We looked up side effects of Stevia and others had experienced the same problem. Most people can take it, but I sure couldn't.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I use it in things like tea or coffee. It's not something I use on a daily basis though, I've started using sugar in the raw for my coffee so I only really use it in tea once in a blue moon now.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options

I'd like to hear your argument on the matter. People say that all the time, but they don't actually know the reason they think it's bad.. Stevia is a herb, so natural right?

Really, are we going down that road? The road where opium is natural? The road where the line between cure and death is dosage? Good, I didn't think so.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I love stevia! Stevia is the most non-processed sweetener except for raw honey and dates from what I've found. Everything else, including sugar and maple syrup, are heated and processed and treated with chemicals and stabilizers.

The stevia leaf is dead sweet and tasty even in it's RAW LEAF FORM. :) To me that says that if you look for the pure unbleached or liquid stevia without added maltodextrin, dextrose, or other additives, you've got an extremely natural and helpful sweetener! It''s even been shown in studies that stevia helps to stabilize blood sugar in diabetics and for non diabetics. :)

Always looks at the ingredients on the back of ANY packaged sweetener (or anything else packaged for that matter!) so you know what you're getting! The front box is pretty and full of health claims but it can often be deceiving!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for years. It is kind of an acquired taste, not nearly as rich as sugar, honey, or maple syrup. I use the liquid vanilla stevia for yogurt and liquid English Toffee stevia for coffee and black tea. Pure stevia powder for other hot teas or drinks. Stevia in the raw (not pure) for some things I like the texture of it better. Clear liquid stevia is good for iced drinks. It's been a life saver for me. Sometimes I combine it with honey or maple syrup (because some things are better with the rich flavor of those).

Stevia is not fake. It's an herb. I have found it to be a lifesaver for me because I tend to get adrenal fatigue. Sugar, Coffee, Black tea, and cocoa are all hard on adrenals so I have to limit what I can. I only drink coffee on occasion and rarely have cocoa.
  • sionnain
    Options
    I use stevia, but use NATURAL stevia if you do, not truvia. it's highly processed even still and made by the same people that make coke products.
  • kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Stevia is derrived from the stevia plant -- similar to sugar from sugar cane. Stevia is not fake like splenda.
  • gingersnapx00
    Options
    YES! I use it in coffee, and tea, and some sweet treat recipes. Love it!
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I use it. You don't have to use much because it is extra sweet, so a little bit goes a long way. I also bought the kind that is mixed with sugar for baking.