PCOS-ers who've lost weight

Options

Replies

• ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    For me, weight loss helps significantly with my symptoms. I am able to ovulate and get AF on my own once I hit a certain weight. I also don't grow facial hair as fast and even my dark spots look lighter. I was also able to conceive on my own. I know not a lot of women experience such a change with their weight loss. My theory is that it really depends on how insulin resistant you are. From what I've noticed, women who are more insulin resistant have a harder time losing the weight in the first place and have worse symptoms that tend to not go away as easily. (I am not insulin resistant) I have nothing to back this up though - just a theory.
  • EYee13
    EYee13 Posts: 1
    Options
    With some help and adjustments, I've been able to lose weight on/off with PCOS. Doc prescribed metformin, which helps regulate insulin and raise metabolism (that's my short answer - get the medical one from a doc). The issue for me is staying on track. Still trying...best of luck!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has helped with fertility, but not the secondary infertility that I'm also 'blessed' with. (Secondary infertility is when you don't have issues getting pregnant, but don't stay pregnant well).

Be careful using the wordage "secondary infertility". Secondary infertility actually refers to women who have a child and cannot get pregnant or experience infertility on the second go round.

I went through a lot of fertility treatment and weight loss +femara are what eventually got me pregnant.

I have a 14yr old.

I have been diagnosed as someone with 'Secondary Infertility'.

We do not have any issues with conceiving. I have been able to become pregnant in 1 - 2 cycles every time we have tired.
  • kadins_momma07
    kadins_momma07 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    bump

my doc just recently said that it looks like i may have pcos and I am wondering some of these things myself...

Same here, those are my doctor's words too "Sounds like you may have PCOS"...I'm curious too!
  • TheFlamingWolf
    Options
    I've not has a lot of luck with losing weight for it, myself, unfortunately.

It's not easy to lose weight with that disease. What I managed to do was find a medication to regulate it, then I began losing weight. So if I had to recommend anything, I'd recommend talking to your doctor about ordering an ultrasound, have them examine your cysts, then have your doctor put you on a medication that will work for you (if you haven't already) :)

I can say the medication has helped me to lose a bit of weight. The reason I'm not right now, though, is possibly due to an underlying thyroid problem, but that's another story.

Good luck with your PCOS!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 14 lbs. No luck so far with regulating my cycles but I have noticed that my hair seems to be falling out much less than it was. Hallelujah! The hair loss is so upsetting to me, I can't even tell you. I've been on Metformin for about 2 1/2 months. I did read somewhere that any change involving hair takes about three months because that's how long it takes hair to mature, etc. so this makes sense for me.
  • melani75
    melani75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you're not trying to conceive, spironolactone can help a lot with the hair growth. It's actually a mild diuretic but also reduces androgens. It takes a couple of months to see results but now I only have to wax my upper lip/chin once or twice a year. If you stop taking it, the hair comes right back though.
  • jella74
    jella74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have noticed my PCOS symptoms have lessened a lot since I lost 22 pounds. I'm still losing and so far what I noticed was that my hair stopped falling out, the male pattern hair growth is less, and my blood pressure is much lower. I have more energy and NO sugar cravings!!

My cycles started to regulate at 34 days apart after I had my 4th son in Aug 2011. So I can't say the weight loss helped with that. Though I'm now regulated, I do have adenomyosis and extremely excessive bleeding so I will be getting a uterine removal on July 24th.

I've had 4 miscarriages, also due to low progesterone. My 4 viable pregnancies were the result of the first 2 from clomid and the last 2 from femara and all done with progesterone gel.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!
  • nangel4u
    Options
    Gradually my symptoms have been going away, my cycles were always 32-34 days and now they are 28-29 days and my hair on my face, legs, really just everywhere grows back more slowly than it used to lol!!! I used to have pelvic pains almost everyday throughout my cycle but now my pains lessen and would only come on about 2 days before AF was due and when she arrived!!! I think that it has helped little to none on my fertility and I think I only ovulated once this year but my cycles are regular?!?! I was told this year that I have pcos so maybe next year I may have to go back to the fertility doctor to help me O!!!
  • fayelein
    fayelein Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump, no time to read or reply now but want to save for later.

Short answer though is no, hair growth symptoms have not got better after 40lb loss. Still got some way to go though so hopefully after a bigger loss I will see some improvement. Have next appointment in October and will see what the doctor says.
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bumpie bump

I have been diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago back home (France) but have been taking the BC since years & years.
    Anyway I'm also very curious to read any answer for that.

The fact is : until I was 18 (130 pounds at the time), I had more or less regular periods and these disappeared when I started gaining weight they disappear (195 heighest, now 173). So hopefully it will work the other way around.

But the other thing is: it's long & painful but doable to loose some weight with PCOS !! 22 pounds for me (since the beginning of the year, so yes slower than lots of people on MFP). But still, we can all do it :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS but never had fertility problems just really long cycle. I got preggo 9 times in the last 13 years (3 miscarriages, 6 live births 4 of those as a surrogate mother) and it is the first time in a long time that I have not been pregnant. So I do not know if it is not having a 9 months break or my weight loss but my symptoms are getting worst. More hair, weird cycles, spotting. Pimples. I will have to go see my Dr really soon.
  • marjolycookie
    marjolycookie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    At my highest weight I basically never had a period (seriously maybe once a year and it was extremely light). As I've been losing weight, the period has returned and now is on a normal monthly cycle. Absolutely no improvement with any of the other symptoms whatsoever though.
  • cowsstealmythong
    cowsstealmythong Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I dropped 50 lbs and got pregnant.
    My cycles were very regular after i lost the weight (before getting pregnant) when before they'd be every which way but straight.
  • kittenmcgowan
    kittenmcgowan Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do, and I have lost a chunk of weight. The doc has said to me that my fertility has almost doubled, because my body is under less stress, and my ability to carry a child to term has improved dramatically as well! The hair ... um... honestly I haven't noticed any difference there, but there are other things, like regularity and above all, PAIN which have improved heaps.

In short, things will improve, do it!
    xoxo
  • mirandaneal19
    mirandaneal19 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i have only lost 12 lbs and went from 4 month long TOM only being stopped by bc to having 7-8 day cycles sometimes skipping one altogether since i stopped the bc, hair growth is still annoying me to death, its so embarrassing :( my tom has begome slightly less painfull but at least one day its so crippling and i'll feel sharp popping feeling in the ovaries. I have been diagnosed for over 1 year but i am pretty sure i have had it un diagnosed for 10 years i have had all these issues since i first got my monthly, i would love to know more about how everone else is achieving weightloss it seems to be relitivly hard for me to keep it off
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    For those of you on metformin - a small study found the amino acid N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine to be as effective as metformin for various symptoms. I've been on it for a few months for unrelated reasons(it was prescribed by a psychiatrist), but noticed that my insulin sensitivity improved and my hair growth lessened dramatically, all in addition to improving mood. It's also great for a bunch of other reasons listed in the wikipedia link below. Also, a more detailed forum post. Maybe worth asking your docs about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine#Polycystic_Ovary_Syndrome
    http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=145498

Do I need a rx for that?
  • Kassielin13
    Options
    I've lost 63 lbs all together since my dx of PCOS early 2011. My cycles were regulated until this month. I had 6-7 normal cycles until now. Still not sure what is going on right now though. A little background on my success deals with some use of Metformin (no longer required), low carbs, high cardio, high protein, intermediate use of Provera (5 times out of past 9 months)!

Symptom changes with weight loss:
    cycles did regulate
    my 3 hairs on each side above my upper lip have not multiplied but are still there
    cysts are no longer there
    less mood swings
    less acne
    better hair growth (I no longer lose globs of hair in the shower)
    less pelvic pain
    I have ovulated at least 5 times this year
    higher libido

I'm sure there are more things I could list that aren't coming to mind right now.

PCOS ladies, feel free to add me! :happy:

Also, my cycles began to regulate after losing 42 lbs!
  • liittlebrunette
    liittlebrunette Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    For those of you on metformin - a small study found the amino acid N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine to be as effective as metformin for various symptoms. I've been on it for a few months for unrelated reasons(it was prescribed by a psychiatrist), but noticed that my insulin sensitivity improved and my hair growth lessened dramatically, all in addition to improving mood. It's also great for a bunch of other reasons listed in the wikipedia link below. Also, a more detailed forum post. Maybe worth asking your docs about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine#Polycystic_Ovary_Syndrome
    http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=145498

Do I need a rx for that?

Yeah I think you do.