Replies

• karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed w/ Hypothyroid but please what does TOM mean?
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me how you found out it was not hypothyroidism? My Doc diagnosed me last year. Put me on the meds but I had really bad side effects so I stopped taking it. My doctor swears they were not from the meds but within a week of stopping the meds my knees didnt hurt, my ankles didnt feel like they were giving out while walking down stairs, and my hair softened (literally would break if i touched it). I researched different things that would interfer with idodine absorbtion and am trying to avoid them as much as possible. Any information would be appriciated.

Side note: My t3 level was 4.6, which 4.5 is still considered normal.

Most doctors do not consider 4.5 as normal.
  • randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am hypo as well. In the past I have been able to lose weight as long as my levels were within normal range. I was on 137 mcg of Sythroid for the past 2 + years however lately I have been feeling tired, having a terrible time losing any weight and have a ton of hair loss. I had my levels rechecked last week and even though my T3, T4, and Free T3 and T4 were within the normal range my TSH was 5.47. My doctor likes to keep my TSH close to 1 because that is when I feel my best. My Synthroid was increased to 150mcg and my levels will be checked again in 6 to 8 weeks again. I at this point I can deal with the lack of weight loss, but the fatigue and extreme hair loss is what is really bothering me the most!

Best of luck to you! Weight loss is nothing new to me and in the past I have lost 120 pounds while hyop so I know it can be done, the important thing is staying on top of your lab work and making sure you are taking your medication first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and staying away from dairy products for at least an hour after you take take is, as dairy counter acts the effectiveness of Synthroid.
  • randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Most doctors do not consider 4.5 as normal.
    [/quote]

Nor does mine. My doctor likes 3.3 and below however I feel at my best with my TSH as close to one as possible so that is the therapeutic level he shoots for.
  • HappyandToned
    HappyandToned Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and the only way I lost weight, was to basically eat under, or very close to, 1200 calories.

I also worked out 5-7 times a week.

Hypothyroidism really is a *****. I'm so over it! I'm currently taking 100mcg of Synthroid per day and the side effects aren't fun.
    1200 calories seems way too little and i've been advised against that since i lift. The same goes for working out more than 3 times a week. Its not recommended to do more than that if im lifting! What side affects have you noticed? I haven't noticed any. I'm sleeping a lot more than i should but anything could have caused that!

Cardio is a scary word for me. I heard that unless its HiIT it doesn't exactly promote muscle growth!

I'm off to see my doctor monday and i plan on being there for hours getting myself sorted!!!

Seriously, well done to all of you who have lost weight with hypo. Its near impossible!!

Side effects of eating under 1200 calories, or exactly 1200 calories and exercising 5-7 times a week? At the start I was kinda tired, but then my body got used to it. I'm tired whether I over exercise, or not. Apparantly I'm on the right dose of Synthroid, but then why do I feel like hell? At the moment I work out 4-5 times a week and eating between 1300-1500 calories per day and my weight isn't going down at all.

Its total torture isn't it?! You never know how many calories to eat or what to do. What exercise are you doing? Maybe your body needs more fuel? I also get EXTREMELY tired. I could probably sleep for 24 hours straight given the opportunity (unless i actually want to sleep - then my body won't allow me to)! I wouldn't mind adding 30 day shred into my mornings, but most people who advise against too much cardio with strength training! I'm currently doing NROLFW and might take a 30 day break to do 30 Day Shred before moving onto the next stage.

I've noticed a lot of people say good things about Armour. It seems to be better than Levothyroxine anyway! Do they prescribe it to people with low TSH? I might mention it to my doctor!

I'm doing 30-45mins of cardio, 4-5 times a week, with the occasional weights in between.

I've read really good things about Armour.. not sure if we have it here in New Zealand?! I'm going to make an appointment to see my doctor next week and find out. There's a med called NatureThroid as well.. I think. Might ask about that one, too.
  • littletahoma
    littletahoma Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hyper last year, lost weight, was already low, then changed my diet and within about 6 months gained and gained and gained. Paleo seemed to help me feel better but I still felt that diet had more fat and calories then my body was use to especially after a vegan diet and the binging from being hyper. So far, in the past 5 weeks I have seen the first weight loss I have had in months...I have not really changed my excercising too much but lowered my calories, fat, and added back grains but gluten free ones. I am down almost 6 pounds and after feeling like all I would do was gain, that feels pretty awesome. Oh, and with the excercise, it needs to be regular and I try to do at least an hour of cardio.

Other suggestions, see a naturopath or switch doctors.

Good luck to you, I know how frustrating it can be.
  • KetMed28
    KetMed28 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I suggest you to stop taking those weight loss pills..i already asked to my doctor and he said "weight loss pills could harm your body in the long term, pills mostly just showing a temporary result and will make those fat back again"..I use diet solution program, and i've lost 15 pounds so far!! 4 pounds to go to achieve my ideal weight!!
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 2 years ago (at the age of 21 and only after a series of tests due to memory loss!!) My levels are dangerously low, at the minute Im on double dose of thyroxine but hope they mention a decent level so I can go back down to the usual 50mg but cant see it happening any time soon! Firstly its lovely to meet people with the same condition, I dont have anyone over where I live with the same thing and its scary trying to explain to people that at 21 I rely on medication daily to stop me losing my memory!! So if anyone wants to add me please feel free!

Next on to the weight loss. Ive struggled since I was diagnosed and where I used to lose a consistant 2lb weekly I gain, then lose a bit, then gain it back and then some, I stop, I lose etc etc. The only thing that has worked for me lately is hiring a personal trainer. It took just under a year to lose 2 stone before I gained a stone back etc but in the last 4 weeks since having a PT Ive lost 4 inches round the waist and 2 inches everywhere else. I see him once a week, train a further 2 days a week in the gym on his programme he sets me, do sit ups at home, drink green tea, no carbs after 6pm and just this week started upping my protein :)
  • SCOUSERWENCH
    SCOUSERWENCH Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    what's your calorie goal? maybe higher it abit say lose 1lb a week, eat some of extra cals which u burnt. I have an under-active thyroid and i lost the weight 4 stone in 7 months, 1 stone on me own and 3 stone with fitness pal Ask your doctor about your thyroid levels and maybe ask them about your medication levels see if it's anything to do with it.
  • 0MissErin0
    0MissErin0 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't know if i missed it but are you exercising? HIIT and weights help you burn fat. Make sure you are eating clean. Stay away from fad diets and pills. I have multiple conditions resulting in my body apparently not being able to lose weight and i have had the most success from HIIT, weights and eating clean. Limit junk and processed foods.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed w/ Hypothyroid but please what does TOM mean?

TOM means "time of the month". My cycle is terrible when my levels are off. It's a symptom that's not mentioned as often as fatigue, weight gain, and hair loss, but for a lot of women, their cycles are irregular. Mine was overly heavy and weight loss did not help it. Once my thyroid levels went to normal, boom, cycle normal.
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    I don't use hypo an excuse, i use it as a reason to try harder.
    I usually eat clean with no grains or dairy but i do have off-days like most people.

I'm on levothyroxine and will be going for my 3rd blood test on monday. (my first test was the basic one and they found nothing, then i got diagnosed after asking for the full blood panel.) I'm going to hope my doctor will adjust my dosage!!

I find gaining muscle isn't too much of a challenge. Its just getting rid of the layers of fat hiding it thats hard!

Jewelsliveey, i didn't think i had side effects Though at the very start i seemed to be shedding a lot of hair. It's stopped now though. Definitely going to ask about armour!!

0MissErin0 - yep i eat clean (mostly), lift heavy and do HiIT!! Its been good for muscle building and helped a wee bit with fat loss. What REALLY worked for me is Whole30, but its very strict!! I'll be doing it again next month!
    I would highly recommend Whole30 to people but be prepared to make a lot of sacrifices. (The more you sacrifice, the more you succeed!)

SCOUSERWENCH- I always eat back my exercise calories. Though i recently got a HRM and realised i really underestimated calories burnt during strength training!! I know eating too little was a problem for me in the past. But i think i might have met my ideal calorie intake now. I just gotta stop going over it!!

lynz4589- Memory loss? Is that a hypo symptom? I thought i was just a bit dim!! (short-term memory loss - i've been known to stop and think what year it is!) :P

KetMed28- I don't believe in weight loss pills anymore. The last ones i tried made me throw up violently every day i took them. They all have horrible side affects and never work. I now think of them as bullimia in tablet form and won't be going back!

I noticed i'm not the only one losing hair. I got a new hairbrush 3 days ago and its now FULL of hair (though my iron is also very low). My boyfriend told me today that i could actually make a wig from the amount of hair he's found all over the house!

TOM has become crazy too. 2 weeks of it and its really unpredictable!! Anyone else like that?
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    TOM means "time of the month". My cycle is terrible when my levels are off. It's a symptom that's not mentioned as often as fatigue, weight gain, and hair loss, but for a lot of women, their cycles are irregular. Mine was overly heavy and weight loss did not help it. Once my thyroid levels went to normal, boom, cycle normal.
    Mines weird too. I started noticing something was wrong when i stopped getting periods. Though at this stage i was in a torture chamber of a gym, and they had me on a horrible starvation diet where i could only eat 2-3 portions of chicken, turkey, or fish with veg per day! (i cheated on that diet by eating protein bars and left that place!) The pill regulated it but now its gone crazy!!
  • deadlights
    Options
    Are your TSH levels good? I find that when mine are 0.6 - 1.0 I feel the best.
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    My TSH levels are actually my main problem. I think everything else was fine!!
  • mgardiner288
    mgardiner288 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism seems to affect people very differently. I was diagnosed in June with levels of 10.9 (apparently i have been suffering for a while without a diagnosis. I thought being tired and indecisive was due to the stress at my job). I still have not reached the normal range. My doctor is still adjusting my meds. My first test showed i was down to 6.4, but my target is supposed to be .5 to help me lose the 70 lbs I have gained over the last 3 years. I noticed a marked difference after taking synthroid for 8 weeks or so. I am less tired and scattered, i still get tuckered out now and again, but i see the light at the end of the tunnel. While i know i am not at the right hormone levels yet, i have actually been able to start the MFP program on a 1300 calorie a day and while i am only a week into it, it seems to be going well. I would be thrilled to have some of you add me as friends for support as i am still very new to this whole thing.
  • iambuttercup
    iambuttercup Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis for about 8 years. Have been on 175 to 200 mcg. Atrial fib problems have complicated
    things and I have to stay on the lower range or else I go into afib too much
    Important to not just check TSH level, get the Free T4/T3 and rT3 checked, as well as cortisol and adrenal
    There are a few interesting blogs on youtube from dr Mark Hyman of UltraWelness.com talking about hypothyroid, well worth watching. And here is an article on T3

http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/weight-loss-diet.htm

Feel free to add me as a friend. I am still looking for answers on how to lose weight as I have been unsuccessful
    Even on a 1200 a day diet eating clean and very active lifestyle including exercising
    There has to be a way!
  • martha1514
    Options
    I feel your pain! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism several years ago and have had a very difficult time losing weight. Like you, I have tried so many things...what is finally working for me is to get serious about several things : I cut way back on sugars and high glycemic carbs. I purchased a FITBIT that I sync with MFP and it helps me track my food, calories burned, steps, stairs, etc. I realized I was in a denial about my food intake and I was exaggerating my exercise. With the FITBIT and MFP everything is in black and white. I exercise on the elliptical 6 days a week and do hiphop dancing on the 7th day. I do crunches on an exercise ball, but haven't added in strength training yet...I've read on here that strength training will increase muscle that in turn increases your metabolism. I love this site since you can learn from others who are being successful and get encouragement for the hard times of the journey. Best wishes for your success!
  • iambuttercup
    iambuttercup Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos and have had it since I was a kid. The biggest change for me was about 2 years ago when my doctor switched me from levoxyl to armour thyroid. Make sure you don't just get TSH bloodwork, make sure they do T3 free, T4 free, antibodies etc... Also have them check your B12, when you are hypo you are often deficient in B12 and D. Go to www.stopthethyroidmadness.com it's the best resource I have ever found. I am 5'6, 125 lbs and eat up to 1800 calories per day on excercise days. I have been able to eat much more calories since switching to a mostly clean diet (my diary is open) and I follow a 40% protein, 40% carb and 20% fat diet. Also go to a doctor that will check you for adrenal fatigue, I had it and it had to be taken care of before he switched me to armour and I am on a fairly decent dose. Before I switched to armour I was on 150mg of levoxyl. Hope this helps a little.
    Thanks for the link!