Saving all my carbohydrates for the end of the day?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Micromanaging each acute period of fat oxidation or trying to micromanage each period of fat storage is futile and irrelevant and it's one of those things that dieters like to mentally *kitten* over.

Great way of phrasing it!

It is. Go friend Patrick, he's a great guy. :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

Do you have that study bookmarked where people lost more weight eating a lot of carbs at dinner?

Taking the infini-quotes off.

I have not gotten around to looking into this study further so it may not be totally compelling and I am happy to be corrected if there is something I am missing, but it does seem to indicate some benefits of eating more carbs later in the day as compared to earlier.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21475137

Thanks, Sara!

This is a report Sara showed me when I was questioning nighttime carb consumption because of insulin and HGH not working together.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Micromanaging each acute period of fat oxidation or trying to micromanage each period of fat storage is futile and irrelevant and it's one of those things that dieters like to mentally *kitten* over.

Great way of phrasing it!

It is. Go friend Patrick, he's a great guy. :)

I second that. And he has a great pair. :wink: Of feet, you dirty people!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    yeah I try to eat most of my carbs early also. I work at a va hospital pushing patients all day. But my problem is I'm getting to much protein.

That is doubtful.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    1. Is it healthy to eat a lot of carbs all within a period of 3-4 hours?? And right before bed too. I try to avoid eating when possible after 7pm most days, but sometimes I have to change that to 8pm when I come home from volleyball practice which ends pretty late. I've heard that if you eat a lot of carbs your body converts the lot of them into fats:/

That's fine as long as it doesn't cause you to then over eat or binge later on in the evening thereby exceeding your maintenance calorie level (TDEE). In fact this study:

shows a slightly increased weight loss from the group who ate more carbs later in the day.
    2. Also does anybody have any low-carb breakfast suggestions for me? These past few days it's been fruit with slices of lunch meat (banana, strawberries, and nectarines then usually 2-3 slices of chicken or ham and sometimes a tablespoon or two of organic whole yoghurt) which I find myself quickly growing tired of...

Don't have a clue about this though sorry. Low carb isn't on the menu in my household being Asian....
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    Ok, that doesn't make sense to me AT ALL. You want to eat all your "bad" foods RIGHT BEFORE BED? When your'e about to go lay down and drop your metabolism down!!!???

so carbs are bad foods. is that all carbs? if not how are good and bad carbs defined?

What if i work out late in the day right before bed can I still eat carbs then?

How much does my metabolism drop during an average 8 hour sleep and do you have any evidence?

Why would eating one type of food at one certain time be more important that the overall intake of that food and activity levels over the long term.

please respond.
    no, the above posts are full of myth. Daily macros are what's important, not when you eat them. The ONLY reason a person should avoid a lot of carbs before bedtime is if it gives them heartburn.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Ok, that doesn't make sense to me AT ALL. You want to eat all your "bad" foods RIGHT BEFORE BED? When your'e about to go lay down and drop your metabolism down!!!???

so carbs are bad foods. is that all carbs? if not how are good and bad carbs defined?

What if i work out late in the day right before bed can I still eat carbs then?

How much does my metabolism drop during an average 8 hour sleep and do you have any evidence?

Why would eating one type of food at one certain time be more important that the overall intake of that food and activity levels over the long term.

please respond.
    no, the above posts are full of myth. Daily macros are what's important, not when you eat them. The ONLY reason a person should avoid a lot of carbs before bedtime is if it gives them heartburn.

Exactly. People with Acid Reflux or GERD are advised not to eat in the three hours preceding bedtime. People without that problem are not subject to the same restrictions.

Unless you have a problem like diabetes, in which case you have to regulate your blood sugar levels, it doesn't matter how often you eat or when you eat. All that matters is that you eat nutritionally dense food in an amount that creates a calorie deficit.
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Exactly. People with Acid Reflux or GERD are advised not to eat in the three hours preceding bedtime. People without that problem are not subject to the same restrictions.

Unless you have a problem like diabetes, in which case you have to regulate your blood sugar levels, it doesn't matter how often you eat or when you eat. All that matters is that you eat nutritionally dense food in an amount that creates a calorie deficit.

Every person's body, whether they have diabetes or not, is sensitive to sugar. If you are trying to lose weight, eating a huge amount of carbs at one time is not beneficial (huge being relative to your personal stats and activity level). If weight loss were as simple as maintaining a calorie deficit, life would be much easier. Unfortunately, most of our pre-healthy eating diets have made a mess of hormone sensitivity. Exacerbating that problem after changing your diet doesn't make any since in my opinion.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    1. Is it healthy to eat a lot of carbs all within a period of 3-4 hours?? And right before bed too. I try to avoid eating when possible after 7pm most days, but sometimes I have to change that to 8pm when I come home from volleyball practice which ends pretty late. I've heard that if you eat a lot of carbs your body converts the lot of them into fats:/

That's fine as long as it doesn't cause you to then over eat or binge later on in the evening thereby exceeding your maintenance calorie level (TDEE). In fact this study:

shows a slightly increased weight loss from the group who ate more carbs later in the day.
    2. Also does anybody have any low-carb breakfast suggestions for me? These past few days it's been fruit with slices of lunch meat (banana, strawberries, and nectarines then usually 2-3 slices of chicken or ham and sometimes a tablespoon or two of organic whole yoghurt) which I find myself quickly growing tired of...

Don't have a clue about this though sorry. Low carb isn't on the menu in my household being Asian....

I think people are missing this, it's the 3rd time it's been posted and not a peep!

OP, I eat omelets a lot for dinner (egg whites with a couple of whole eggs thrown in), spinach or watercress, sometimes low sodium sliced turkey and always cheese, usually swiss (~8 g protein) or feta (~4 g protein). That would be a good low carb option if you really feel you need it.
  • anniebonnie
    anniebonnie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm also asian! Or at least half. My parents (mom in particular) is really upset with me since I don't eat all the rice she's buying me haha. Normally my dinner when I'm not dieting involves 2-3 cups of white rice plus some stir fried meat, veggies and occasionally tofu every single night

Also, I'd like to clarify something: carbs are NOT my bad food. I will typically stop a binge with carbohydrates, just because when I eat carbs I feel complete/satisfied...I don't know there's something special about that food group which just helps me. I'd say that protein is my bad food to be honest. Peanut butter, eggs, beef, pork-specifically peanut butter are all huge binge triggers for me. I don't see how people can eat them all the time, I mean if I did that I'd be binging nonstop:/

By the way, thanks for all the answers everyone!:D I know it doesn't seem like it but I have been reading through them all lol
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I'd say that protein is my bad food to be honest. Peanut butter, eggs, beef, pork-specifically peanut butter are all huge binge triggers for me.

I'd call most of those "fat" foods with a little bit of protein in them. Check the macros on PB, Eggs, and most pork. More fat content.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I eat the majority of my carbs after 6pm at night, my dinners often consist of 150g of white rice OR 300g sweet potatoes with protein and fat;

I eat about 2kg of white rice a month!

I am eating 500 cals over maintenance on workout days and maintenance+ on rest days.

My weight fluctuates by a couple of kilos but I have been getting leaner by about 1% bf month on month for about 6 months and have been trainining hard for the last 2 years at 7am (3 - 5 days a week depending on routine)

If carbs are sooooooo bad in the evenings why am I seeing such results?

Answer: Carb Backloading!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I'd say that protein is my bad food to be honest. Peanut butter, eggs, beef, pork-specifically peanut butter are all huge binge triggers for me.

I'd call most of those "fat" foods with a little bit of protein in them. Check the macros on PB, Eggs, and most pork. More fat content.
    Peanut butter is the only food on that list that has more fat than protein.
  • anniebonnie
    anniebonnie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Oh well my bad then:/ sorry I just associate all meats and nuts with protein I guess