DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    .........Seriously?

No really, seriously???

Oky doky then.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You are your own hero. Nothing more nothing less.

However many calories I burn (or not) will neither help nor hinder you.
    There are days when I burn 3000+, there are weeks when I do little. It should not matter to you nor render you jealous. If you pass your time comparing yourself to others you will always come out short.

What little or lot you do is 10 minutes, 20 minutes ro 5 hours more than what you did yesterday and that is the only worthwhile measure.

Have fun with the people around you and here. Look at it as an idea mill - tell yourself, hey, I want to do that!

And with a little imagination, I'm sure you can find 20 minutes in your day.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    I sure as hell dont have time to spend 2 hours a day exercising. I manage to fit in about an hour 3 times a week and that is by skipping lunch and doing the gym instead. You can make the time if you want to do it. Just get up earlier or turn off the TV. Almost everyone has "dead time" they could make better use of. Obviously single parents working 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet etc wont, but then those poor buggers are barely off their feet so wont need to exercise as they'll be knackered.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I would have to run for two hours, 10 min/mile pace, to burn 1000 calories. And I'm 15 lbs away from a healthy BMI. There's no way that's happening. Add to that I mostly lift (which never burns more than 250 cals a session) so I never get those huge burns. I still lose weight the same way people burning 1000+ calories do.

Do what you can, when you can. Just because you're not training for a marathon or hiking six hours every weekend doesn't mean your workout doesn't count.
  • JennyBug2007
    Options
    When I first started working out again back in June/July, I made a goal to do SOMETHING physical at least five days a week. Now there is rarely a day when I don't. It becomes a habit, and it's nice to use the time I spend running, walking, or riding my bike to think. I have designated that as ME time - time when I'm not a teacher, a wife, or a mother... just me. If you think of it that way, there is a LOT more of an incentive to get out there and move!!
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    you can and will make it. I started back up in gym last November and could do no more than 10 minutes of very moderate cardio. Currently in gym 60-90 minutes and still not burning 1000 calories(which really isn't necessary to be fit). Try and make it a game by increasing something in your exercise just once per week. For example, I started only able to do ten pushups and added an extra one every 3-4 days. Today I do 75-100 each day......still not a star athlete, but showing improvement and getting closer to my goal. Good luck and much success
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it. Get a work out DVD. I'm not sure if you'd be into Jillian Michael's work outs but they're 20-40 minutes long and you WILL burn some calories. Maybe not a 1000 but you'll get a work out and you'll get toned. You could also just start by riding a bike, walking or jogging. I don't always have the energy but I want this so I'm going to work at it. Good luck!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    There is no reason for you to work out hours and hours per day. You can lose weight and get fit by working out 30-45 minutes a day. Actually, you can lose weight without working out...but it's nice to get toned as you lose. Also, you can break it up...time to do 20 minutes in the morning? Do that; can you squeeze in a 20-30 minute walk at lunch? Do that? Got time for another 15-30 minutes before or after dinner at night? Do that...on days that you can. Don't sweat the small stuff!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    20 -45 minutes is great! Better than 0. Just listen to your body... as your weight falls off you will have more energy to do more. Keep it up :)
  • AmandaTWaH
    AmandaTWaH Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Most medical professionals recommend 30 minutes a day 3-4 days a week. Don't feel like you need to workout like crazy for results!
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    am jealous with people here in my fitness pal. a little bit intimidated to.
    seems like you all always have time an energy for working out. many people can burn more than 1000 calories a day from working out, or alocate 2 hours of their day for exercise.

i can barely make it an hour, only 20 - 45 minutes.

i really want to be like you peeps, but i never make it.

I don't ever exercise for more than an hour except if I'm going to a party and I have time to kill. I like to wrap it up in 45 or less with warm up, cool down and stretches.

For the record, I'm going to be a medical professional (veterinarian), so you're in with good company.
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred and 30 day ripped. each 25 min workouts and just killer. Even an after dinner walk will do you some good.

How difficult is the 30 day shred? I am very out of shape, and have bad knees but want to start some type of program to loose the inches and get toned up and in shape. I think 30 days is something that I could commit to...
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I wish I had 2 or more hours a day to work out.. I don't even have any free time in the afternoon/evenings with two small kids.. That's why I get up at 4:00 am to get my Insanity on.. If I don't do it first thing in the morning, I can find every excuse out there to not do something during lunch, in the evenings, or any other time. At 4:00 am, there are no excuses and the only thing stopping you is you.
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you really want something, you make time for it.

Walking is easy for me. I have to walk a mile from the train station I get out at to my office building and then another mile back at the end of the day.

That’s not enough for me though. So other things I do:

I eat lunch at my desk and then use my lunch break to walk around.
    At least two hours per weekend is devoted to running, so are at least 2 weeknights. I find this time by giving up a movie or a block of tv viewing.

If you are feeling run down and tired there could be a number of reasons. You might not be getting enough sleep. You might not be getting proper nutrition. You might have a physical illness.

Or you might be pushing yourself too hard too quickly. You can’t run a marathon if you’ve never jogged to the end of the block before. I started out with walks to the end of my street. Then the end of the main road my street if off of. Then the library a few blocks a way. Slowly I made my way up to where I now do 8 mile walks with ease. Then I started jogging for part of the way. Then jogging more. Then running.

One thing I hear a lot is parents who say they don’t have time to go for walks because they have to stay home with their child. My response to that is put your child in a stroller and take them with you. (or if they are old enough, let them walk too). Show them that it’s good to get outside and be active. Use that time to bond with them.

I feel like unless you are working 3 jobs where you are tied to a desk and have no breaks all day and night, you can squeeze in time to be active. It might mean giving up some other activities that you enjoy though.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely NO need to burn 1000 calories. And 20-40 minutes is plenty of time.

Besides all that, each and every one of us has 24 hours in a day. People don't HAVE the time to exercise, they MAKE the time. The time I spend exercising is less than the time I used to spend playing Farmville on Facebook.

^Exactly. Listen to this lady - she knows what she's talking about (which is why I'm always quoting her in the forums!! :laugh: )

I just don't watch as much TV as I used to....exercise is more important. I have a job, a kid, a husband, volunteer activities, a home to keep clean, and I like to sleep. I just have to prioritize. Sometimes, my dishes don't get done until the next day. Sometimes, I get a little behind on the laundry. Sometimes, I don't get as much sleep. Sometimes, I don't get to watch TV at all for a couple of days. I simply chose to exercise over doing those things. And I'm more than okay with that! :happy:

20-40 minutes a day is a great amount of time, and remember.....this is the internet. Not everyone who claims to be burning 1000+ calories a day is actually doing so.
  • Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I exercise most mornings at 5:30am and anywhere from 30-60 minutes. A couple days a week I may exercise longer schedule permitting but it's not necessary to kill yourself with long workouts trying to burn impossible numbers. Get in. Go Hard. Quality over quantity. You just have to make that time your priority.